The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Final load talking during chop cup? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
xububba
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of xububba
Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a chop cup routine using racquet balls for the final load, they fit and work with the patter...my problem is I am following the Don Alan guide where he says to "throw" the final load into the cup. I can hear it and am concerned that my spectators will as well and will be suspicious. Am I doing something wrong, being overly paranoid, have super sensitive hearing, or is it something else?

Thanks,

Mike
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Maybe don't take that "throw" quite so literally.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You have to remember that Don used to bang his cup against the table right before the load. He also used a big rubber ball.

The best way to keep the loads from talking is to use a leather cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
xububba
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of xububba
Bill, thanks for pointing that out about the banging of the cup, that should help with some noise misdirection that will make me feel better. I may also work on more of a toss than a throw Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Don's motion was not violent at all.

Once you get your 50 posts there are some threads on loading technique in Secret Sessions.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Funny... last weekend I was in Aurora, IL, doing some close up at my stepson's graduation party. I had brought a rubber toilet plunger (to do a Benson bowl type routine) and had a large (not huge) metal NUT for the final load (OK, I had permission to use the Nut Load from Don Alan himself).

But I didn't have a mat for the surface, was working on a coffee table. So I figured I had to set the loaded bowl down GENTLY... to avoid noise.

But... as I was about to do the set down... it dawned on me... I had the wand (actually the toilet plunger handle) in my other hand...

So... as I set the loaded bowl down I dropped the wand on the table at the same time... its NOISE covered any sound from the load.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There you go!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

xububba
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of xububba
Yet another reason this forum is so valuable!!

Thanks for all the help!

Mike
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You are welcome.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5723 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It would be a good idea to get the Ron Bauer booklet on the Don Alan routine, as well as the Stevens' Don Alan DVD. The DVD will show you the timing and technique so the sound is minimized. Also, keep in mind that Don Alan used a thick mat under his chop cup - it eliminated sounds quite well.
xububba
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of xububba
Thanks Alan, I have the booklet, but the dvd makes sense as well. I did notice the mat and have considered that, unfortunately, most of the time it is not very practical for me to pull out a mat. I am a hobbyist and do most of my tricks at meetings at work. I may still go that way, but haven't decided yet.
Thanks!

Mike
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5723 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
In my opinion, the chop cup really needs a good mat, to work properly. May I suggest performing the egg bag, if you don't want to use a mat? It's practical for a wide variety of performance condtions.
xububba
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of xububba
Thanks Alan, I think I can pull off a mat now that I have given it more thought!

Mike
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use a leather chop cup and need no mat at all. For a metal chop cup a mat or something similar is a big help.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1401 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Where can I get a leather chop cup. Sound like it would be awesome. And the paint would not chip. Very Durable...
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I can vouch for the beauty of the second one, the stacking/chop cup. I have the black one with the red lining.

I may have to get the beaded one too. It looks like it would be perfect in a Ren Faire setting.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
xububba
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of xububba
I stumbled onto a solution this afternoon for the mat. As I usually perform at meetings, I have a binder that I always carry with me, it is leather, about one and a half inches thick and works great as a mat! I still need to continue to work on the final loads, but at least now I know that I will be able to perform it in my normal environment, and the "mat" will not lend any suspicion to what is going on!!

Mike
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5723 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Leather doesn't strike me as being a good sound dampener. The thing about the way the Don Alan did the chop cup is that there was no difference in sound, between when he set the cup down softly or when the cup was set down harder. That's why I think he used such a soft mat - most close-up mats would be too firm to do the job.
xububba
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of xububba
Alan, Thanks for the insight, I wasn't very clear, it is leather, but it basically is a portfolio, holding a legal pad, business cards etc, it is soft and there is now know difference in the sound when I put it down. I was initially doing it on my desk with only a blotter and it wasn't working at all, this has solved that part of my dilemma. Now I just need a few more hours each day to practice getting the final loads in smoothly enough to show to an audience!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Final load talking during chop cup? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL