The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hi guys...newbie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

semidevil
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of semidevil
Hi guys,

I am new here. this place is really cool. I have been trying to learn the back palm am having so much trouble actually.

I'm following the instructions in this link

http://www.trickmagic.com/backpalming_a_card.htm

and have a few troubles. first, my hand strains as I flattened out, and I am having trouble gripping the card with the fingers.

any online video that you guys know of that I can see in motion how it is done? or perhaps a member here can post video.

according to the link, I"m not understanding at what point I put the edges between my fingers? If it is while waving the card up, then I need to do it very fast no?
thanks
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Well, the only thing I can say is practice. I remember when I first tried to learn backpalming.... Ahhh back in the day. I don't think I can discuss methods in this open forum, but when you get 50 posts, we can help you out in the secret sessions room.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Don't focus too much on truely difficult sleights. Practice them a little from time to time, and don't perform them until they are perfect. If you get frustratied, bored, tired, etc, put it down and go do something else.

You do not need complicated sleights to be a complete and successful magician, what you need is presence. BTW, I'm working to do away with the mantra of "practice". Several of us are trying hard to change it to "Script, block, rehearse, edit, repeat"
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
You should check out Jeff McBrides Manipulation video's. that's where I learned from. He does a really good job of breaking things down.
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
Rinse
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Rinse
Quote:
On 2006-05-20 23:07, semidevil wrote:

and have a few troubles. first, my hand strains as I flattened out, and I am having trouble gripping the card with the fingers.

I've seen that link before, and it does a pretty good job
of explaning the back palm. You may have to experiment a
little w/ where the flesh of your fingers close the best
and grip the cards there.

I'd say the back palm is more of a utility move, not really
a trick in itself. I'd hesitate to go around doing only
back palms.. Especially if you can't do it quickly yet.
AJ82
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of AJ82
I know this might sound silly but try closing your eyes when you do it! I find that it is easier to "feel" the card that way. Good luck
Magic is amazing. One of the best parts of my life.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hi guys...newbie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL