The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » music? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jbro
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of jbro
Would anyone here happen to know where to get music for illusion performances?
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
There are several CDs out there of "magic music". They're advertised a lot in the magic mags and you can try the web. Some are a lot better than others, but I find the cds work best for illusionists. They kind of suck for manipulation, but for what you're wanting they should work.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
Sometimes own created "mystical" sounds from a keyboard aren´t as wrong as they seem Smile
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
As an idea, I remember seeing Jonathan Pendragon lecture many years ago. He recommended listening to movie soundtracks for illusion music. He felt that movie soundtracks are intended to go with action. Of course, this was before movie soundtracks were more than a collection of top 20 pop hits packaged to sell a CD.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
stevenking
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, England
61 Posts

Profile of stevenking
Movie theme scores is definately the way to go for any act where music is required ... a search for movie themes on Amazon.com or co.uk will give you plenty of ideas.

Personally ... I use alot of tracks from 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' in particular anything by Christophe Beck.

Some names to look out for in particular ... Jerry Goldsmith,Danny Elfman,Leonard Rosenman,Philip Glass,John Williams,Howard Shore,Hans Zimmer,Ennio Morricone,David Holmes,Michael Nyman

Kind regards

Steven King
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
And there are

Pink Floyd
VANGELIS
Kitaro
Jean Michelle Jarre
Mike Oldfield
ERA
hoodscoop98
View Profile
New user
Michigan
3 Posts

Profile of hoodscoop98
Hey all, I perfer songs that don't have any words when I perform. I use a lot of music with guitar solos as well. If your like me, and enjoy music without words, try doing a search for
the ventures
Chet Atkins (does have some singing).
If all else fails, Johney B. Goode has a good beat! Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
A couple of my routines are done to music - it's important to pick something that is in keeping with your character and your routine.

I like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai for some things. Other times I do a routine that makes fun of Wacko (isn't that worringly similar spelling to Wako?) Jacko to a soundtrack of Bad.

Slainte

ML
Smile
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
I aggree,
Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield is an excellent track.

Take care,
Kevin. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
jbro-

You might want to look at the thread on this subject that recently appeared in the Finger/Manipulation (Stage) section. I believe it is titled "Music for Manipulations".

Gee - I need to learn how to insert shortcuts for items throughout the Cafe into a Post! Smile

pp Smile
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
SOme of you seem to be reccommending music that is copyrighted. How do you stand on royalties etc? Smile
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
Stephen, I started a thread about this earlier entitled Music Copyright. If you would like more info' please feel free to PM me'
Regards, David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Movie sound tracks are excellent.
Big plus for Tubular Bells.
Kenny G. works well.
Here are a couple links. I have bought the music and it's good stuff made for magicians.

http://www.purelymagic.com/billwhite/

http://members.aol.com/ComposerRG/magic_music.htm

Check it out. Smile
Daniel Faith
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3986 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Choose music that enhances the theme of your show (or each effect).

In comedy, music that contrasts completely with the effect works wonderfully.

Try to avoid stereotypes - be original.

I saw a clip of Fearson doing his floating cigarette to "Also Sprach Zarathrusta", aka the "2001: A Space Odyssey" theme. It was hilarious, IMO.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » music? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL