The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Men Only!!! (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..20~21~22 [Next]
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes, I am Chrystals biggest fan. Reading her post one sees there is not one ounce of hostility or anger in her. Not only is she a magicians magician but is also a very classy person,
You are Canada's best.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Once upon a time there was a girl who ran away from home. She wanted to be rich so she went looking for a job. When she was walking down the road she saw a man. The man was dressed very good and he was coming toward the girl.
She asked the man if she could work for him. The man said, "I am looking for a helper. Do you know how to read?"

The girl said, "Yes."

The man said, "Too bad. I'm looking for a girl that can't read."

The girl told him, "Maybe you can give work to my sister. She's slow and she's way in back of me." And the girl said, "Good-bye."

The girl turned her poncho around and hat, and then she ran back to meet the man again on the road. She told the man that she wanted work. The man said, "I am looking for a helper. Do you know how to read?"
"Oh, no, sir!" said the girl.

The man said, "You're in luck!" I'm looking for a girl to clean my office and my library. You can work for me."

So, the girl started to work for the magician. Soon the girl started to look in the books and drawings of the man. When she figured out who the man was, she started to learn the magician's tricks. One day, the magician caught her reading his book of secrets, boy did he get mad!
He turned into the magician like we know him and he started to chase the girl.

Just when he was about to catch the girl,
the girl turned into a rabbit.
The girl was too fast and
so the magician turned into a coyote.
And right when it looked like the magician
was going to catch the girl, the girl
turned into a pigeon and she flew away
from the magician.
The magician got even madder! And
he turned into a hawk. He flew faster
and better than the pigeon and almost
caught her. But!. . .
Just when the hawk was about
to grab the pigeon, the girl turned into
a stone and fell to the ground.

The magician turned himself into a piece of rice and also started to fall to the ground. When the stone hit the ground, the girl turned into a rooster, and when the piece of rice hit the ground, the rooster gobbled it up.

So that's why the magician is always careful when he is around girls.

Or somthing like that.

http://www.midtesol.org/ClassProjects/project1/story15e.htm
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 03:01, Chrystal wrote:
Repeating myself for the umpteenth time, I personally feel it is only a matter of time that the numbers will be equal. Today's young girls now have many female role models that will encourage them to pursue magic if they show an interest.

So after this long ramble, nope, being a minority in magic has never fazed me. I perform magic because I love it.

Chrystal :O)

I think that there have been woman acts that have out done many of the acts performed by men magicians. Those who say that is impossible have never seen Celeste Evens do a show. Her manipulation act with cards - coins and billiard balls was equal to the men performers of her day.

Her dove steals were innovative because she performed in a class night club without tables and the box table like Tony Marks. Yet she produced doves from NOWHERE! There are men magicians today still trying to figure out where the doves came from!

I think that one day there will be other woman magicians that will out do the men magicians. But this will happen when one understand the publicity part and the promotion press agent part of show business.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 07:44, magicalaurie wrote:
It's possible for women to have an "old school of thought" too, maybe. Smile

I must admit, this is true. I was talking with my younger son, and he informed me that one of the third grade teachers at his school was "Mr. Carter." My response..."you have a MAN as a third grade teacher?"

Only after I said it, did I realize what I had said.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 08:40, kregg wrote:
No daughter of mine is going to be a magician! I expect more out of her.

lool , that was awesome !
I couldn't agree more Smile

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Matt your daughter could do Worse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Come check out my magic.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Repeating myself for the umpteenth time, I personally feel it is only a matter of time that the numbers will be equal. Today's young girls now have many female role models that will encourage them to pursue magic if they show an interest.

I'm inclined to doubt this. I think there's something inherently more appealing to males than females in magic, generally. Ultimately, though, the numbers of people who choose to pursue magic aren't the issue; it's the opportunities available to those who choose to pursue it.

Which is to say, you don't have "equality," necessarily, when 50% of the magicians in the world are male, and 50% are female. You have equality when 100% of the people who choose to pursue magic are entitled and encouraged to without regard to their sex. Whether most of those who choose to are male or female, or if it's a 50-50 split, is a secondary issue, and to my mind, a pretty much irrelevant one.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 19:42, LobowolfXXX wrote:
you don't have "equality," necessarily, when 50% of the magicians in the world are male, and 50% are female. You have equality when 100% of the people who choose to pursue magic are entitled and encouraged to without regard to their sex. Whether most of those who choose to are male or female, or if it's a 50-50 split, is a secondary issue, and to my mind, a pretty much irrelevant one.

I agree, LobowolfXXX. Absolutely.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Equal opportunity? YES

Equal numbers? No

Quota based systems to artifically "restore" the balance? Again, no. How many short people are there in the world? About half the population? Then, why aren't half the basketball players short? See what I mean? Totally silly when you look at it that way.

In anything, if they simply can't or don't want to do it, there's no reason to force them. On the other hand, if they do want to try, they should be given the same opportunity to fail as anyone else.

What's even worse is when people recognize that a quota system is in place and twist it to their advantage for their own personal gain.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Men have more pockets.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 20:03, Dave VanVranken wrote:
they should be given the same opportunity to fail as anyone else.

Or to succeed.

Posted: Jun 2, 2006 8:32pm
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 20:26, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Men have more pockets.

Not necessarily.

Not to mention Smile ... pockets aren't necessarily required.
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
Uh, I think quota systems can sometimes be good. Here's the scenario I'm talking about. Two people are competing for the same position. One person is highly qualified, and the other is clearly "borderline". Still, because of the quota system, the latter person gets the job. That's right, you understood me correctly; the less qualified person gets the job, and I think that's a good thing in some circumstances.

Here's why. Later, someone will say something like, "That incompetent fool only has that job because he/she is blah, blah". I say, PERFECT! How many times has a black man felt that way about a white boss? Similarly, numerous women have felt that way about a male boss.

This isn't about "payback"; it's about changing the question. Once a few incompetent so-and-so's attain positions they don't deserve, the dialog changes. People start to discuss issues of compentency, instead of whatever bias dominated the discussion before. I think that's a good thing.
Seth E. Paternoster
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I meant to say men have more top-its.

Are there more birthday party, female clowns that do magic?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 20:26, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Men have more pockets.

And some have even more pockets than them.

Posted: Jun 2, 2006 9:54pm
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Hi Again,

I've been busy for a while and suprised to find this post had jumped to nine pages!

Well most of the info and quotes taken from fortune cookies.

Great to have you back Chrystal! I noticed you weren't as active but figured right in that you've been busy.

You're having talked about your role in magic and my having mentioned a couple of great gals of magic reminds me now of Keiko! For those of you who don't know, Keiko won first place and the IBM Gold Medal. She received her Gold from Int'l President Bob Escher.

This judgement by discerning peers, [b]mostly, if not all, men! She kicked our butts guys.

Chrystal, my memory is usually pretty good, but didn't she visit and stay with you in Canada a couple of years ago? I'm thinking back on a live online chat we had at the magic talk site. If this was the same wonderful gal, tell them what a fantastic contribution she is to the art of magic.

(Knudges Chrystal into the stage spotlight) Go on tell 'em....
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Quote:
On 2006-06-01 13:42, Margarette wrote:
I have been ignored at dealer's tables (not just in magic, I've had this happen at gun shows).

When a guy is asked to name the best with a gun, not many would think of saying Annie Oakley. However Annie's feats with a gun put all men to shame. Yet it seems even gun dealers still think it is a mans thing.

http://www.rnh.com/org/index.php?page=bi......n_id=267
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Very true. besides annie oaklie can you name any other woman""''

Wonder Woman does not count
Come check out my magic.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well in my game, which happens to be another game that is thought of as a mans game and that is poker, another Annie springs to mind, Annie Duke. Now she, as I recall, refused to play in the womens only competition at the World Series of Poker, saying it was patronising to women to have a women only comp and that women were as good as men at the game. She proceeded to play against the men and won WSOP bracelet. Which is akin to a gold medal. On winning she cried and said, “See I’m just a girl really.” Annie is not only respected in poker but she is feared by any poker player with any sense of danger. She might not be the best but to my mind she is one the best in more ways than one.

Tommy
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
Wow, there's something new every day, but this one really stands out. I don't think I've ever been compared to a fortune cookie before.
Seth E. Paternoster
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2006-06-02 20:41, sepaternoster wrote:
Uh, I think quota systems can sometimes be good. Here's the scenario I'm talking about. Two people are competing for the same position. One person is highly qualified, and the other is clearly "borderline". Still, because of the quota system, the latter person gets the job. That's right, you understood me correctly; the less qualified person gets the job, and I think that's a good thing in some circumstances.

My day job...assistant project manager/estimator for a general contractor. My interview for the job...vice-president of the company and the project manager found my qualifications to be what they were looking for...they decided to offer me the job. However, when they call to offer me the job, they don't offer me the job I interviewed for, but a better job within the company. At one point, during one of my doubts about if I made the right decision in changing jobs, I voiced my concerns to the receptionist. Offhanded, I said that I thought they hired "Mike" for the job I interviewed for. What followed surprised me...and was probably something I was never supposed to find out. She told me that when they informed the job superintendant I was going to be hired to work at his jobsite, the superintendant replied, "You better not send some g**d**** woman to work on MY jobsite!" Well, now they were stuck...they had already decided to hire me (but hadn't made an offer to me yet), and they couldn't "un-decide" to hire me. So what happened? They hired another assistant project manager, a man, to work on that job, and they hired me to work in the office. The receptionist also said that I surprised a lot of people within the company by actually knowing what I was talking about.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
On 2006-06-03 10:24, Margarette wrote:
Quote:
The receptionist also said that I surprised a lot of people within the company by actually knowing what I was talking about.

Spooked 'em, perhaps. Smile Scary thing- a woman knowing what she's talking about. Who knew that was POSSIBLE? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Men Only!!! (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL