The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Men Only!!! (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..20~21~22 [Next]
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 13:39, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Back to the Melinda picture. If it wasn't for the bird, is there anything there that tells you she's a magician? Or simply another Showgirl? You gotta give her some credit though (actually I think the credit goes to her mom Bonnie) She knows that sex sells in Las Vegas, and she played that part to the hilt. She needed a "hook" to make her stand out from all the other dancers, and she happened to choose magic.

Don't sell her brother David short, either! He had a lot ot do with advancing her career, as well.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 21:51, Marvello wrote:
Don't sell her brother David short, either! He had a lot to do with advancing her career, as well.

Yes, I met David briefly many years ago. I was referring mainly to the pressure of her "stage mom" but I know there were others, including her sister Susanne and magic advisors Gary Darwin and Geno Munari.

I wonder what would have happened if she performed more of a "straight" magic show without the showgirl glitz? Would anyone have even noticed her?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
A rose by any other name is still a rose.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Seems Vinny has give up playing Romeo and his now playing Julliet, but a rose is not rose by any other name, as it would be some other name. ("What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet.")

:)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Botanically speaking; Rose, Rosa or Rosaceae, several varieties lack fragrance- sweet or otherwise.
POOF!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Nobody wants to take a shot at the idea I posed earlier, that the overall lower interest in magic that females have could certainly be advantageous for the relatively few women who DO choose to get into the field?

I was reminded of this yesterday by the L.A. Times front-page spread on Danica Patrick, the extremely talented indy car racer. She's obviously a great racer, but I suspect she wouldn't have the popularity and endorsement deals she has if she were a talented male racer who hasn't won a race.

That's not intended as knock on Patrick; I believe the article said that the average win comes in race 32 or thereabouts, and she's only had 20-some races. She's also finished 4th at Indy, and led with a few laps to go. I do think, though, that she gets more mileage (pardon the pun) out of being "The best female racer in the world" than she would out of being, "One of the 25 best racers in the world."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-05-29 10:46, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Nobody wants to take a shot at the idea I posed earlier, that the overall lower interest in magic that females have could certainly be advantageous for the relatively few women who DO choose to get into the field?

Sure. Could be. Smile There ya go. Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 16:19, RandyStewart wrote:

Margarette, we can always count on ya to slam dunk, in freezing water, apparently sound reasoning from others.

Well, Randy, it's like I stated in the past...as my friends can attest, I am not your typical female! I work construction specializing in detention facilities, I am a locksmith, I target shoot (and didn't get the nickname DeadEye for nuthin!), and I collect handcuffs. So, I've got a litte different perspective on the subject. Growing up, all the kids my age in the neighborhood were boys, so unless I wanted to spend a lot of time alone, I learned to play baseball, football, climb trees, and fish! If we were to ever meet up, don't be surprised if I offer to buy you a drink! I've surprised some of my male friends by picking up the bar tab and buying lunch/dinner.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
A handcuff-related nickname might be more entertaining...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Margarette this explains it you were a TOM BOY, (old term of course )

You were very comfortable around men, and getting into magic was very easy for you.

Tommy you or I can call Melinda any thing we like, construction worker, kick boxer,
cab driver, magician, Doctor etc...
etc...
She is still drop dead beautiful first for me ...
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Jane Thurston
Talma LeRoy
Marion Nicola
Litska Raymond
Iona
Helen Anderson the Enchantress of the World
Adelaide Hermann
Madame Cora de Lammond
Lady Frances Marshall
Dell O'Dell
Suzy Wandas Bennet
Evelyn Rose
Mary Ann Cambell
Nani Darnel Wilson
Dianna Zimmerman
Trixie
Velma
Dorothy Dietrich
Celeste Evans
Anne Gwynne
Ann Bishop (my Mom)
Tracey Bishop (my Sister)
Cleopatra
Judy Carter
Julie (Virgil And Julie)
Mars (Doug Henning's first assistant)
The Snake Babe (Steve August's Wife)
June Merlin (Wife of Billy McComb)
Esme Levante (Les Levante's Daughter)
Kathy Nolan
Pat Collins the hip hypnotist

I just thought I would start with a short list of woman magicians that came to mind both past and now.

Magic is interesting that both men and woman can do it. There are problems with things about booking that have to do with sex. That is that most woman that do magic in the night club field have to put up wih men that will make a pass at them. Dell O'Dell was tough enough that she could do magic for a class night club or a night club where they had drunks.

Doing shows in clubs is a tough grind.

It was hard to leave the family and tour the night clubs of the old days. As far as today I think that it is best to deal with your strengths. That is show your best side. If the performer is a woman or a man. It doesn't matter use your good looks, sex-appeal, talent, and any other advantage or gifts that the good Lord gave you.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
My wife performed magic in college and, as a graduate of the Goodman School of the Dramatic Arts, feels that it is "too risky" a performance medium for her - she prefers acting, where you only have to worry about the other actors, the set, stage props and the stage techs screwing you up and not having to worry about all of that AND your props and your hands messing with your performance along with audience volunteers as well!

Which, from a certain professional theatrical standpoint, seems to make quite a bit of sense!

She does agree, however, that it is MUCH easier to get PAID work as a magician than it is to get paid work as an actor, especially in Chicago!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
Magic is a male dominated art, their just simply isn't a lot of female magicians around to even out the scale. I hope that one day that would change, because lets be honest fellas, who wouldnt want a girlfriend with a sweet pass.
JR
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-05-30 11:24, Joe Russell wrote:
Magic is a male dominated art...

Men fussing with doves and handkerchiefs and waving their wands hoping something special happens is a male dominated craft.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
With all due respect, what magician has reach the notoriety of Houdini?
POOF!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Maybe Houdini is popular wherever he went. He is iconic in the same way as James Dean or Elvis in our culture. Iconic is not the same as popular.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Who was the best?

Who is the best?

Just a point of view and an advertising tool used by advertising and public relations people to get people to buy tickets to a show. It has nothing to do with what the public will - or will not allow.

The public will buy tickets to see a show no matter if a woman is the magician or a man. But who is the best? Who cares. Just something magicians like to argue over. From the public point of view the "Best is only whatever magician they can name at the time when they are asked!

Posted: May 30, 2006 5:51pm
---------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-05-30 17:24, kregg wrote:
With all due respect, what magician has reach the notoriety of Houdini?

Sorry to not agree with you all about Houdini but Houdini's name was promoted by Bess Houdini and Edward Saint after Houdini's death. And they promoted it to George Pal in order to make a movie about Houdini.

Plus Bess Houdini and Edward Saint promoted and made money of a lecture tour after Houdini's death that included a short Houdini séance. Houdini's name has been used to promote magic more after his death than when he was alive.

Much of the business of the Houdini promotion I heard from Anne Gwynne. Who was a close friend of Bess Houdini and Edward Saint. Magic is a business and part of the business is the art of promotion. Houdini IS remembered because he was promoted - not for his greatness of doing magic and not because he did escapes. It is because he was great at getting his name in the papers.

And after he died his wife continued to promote the name, Houdini.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-05-30 17:41, bishthemagish wrote:
But who is the best? Who cares. Just something magicians like to argue over.

I agree with your sentiment, Glenn. The "best" is relative.
I, for one, have no problem with a MAN being the best. It's not a battle of the sexes at all for me. I'm not worried about beating the men to the top. I'm worrying about my own backyard and no one else's, really. We'll see where that takes me.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-05-30 17:53, magicalaurie wrote:
I'm worrying about my own backyard and no one else's, really. We'll see where that takes me.

Oh my God! I left the backyard sprinkler on since last night! Gotta go.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Smile

You're still HERE, Randy. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Men Only!!! (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL