The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Hello All,

I just spent a good hour researching using the search feature, but still need a few questions answered about silks.

1. What are the best types of pulls? Something with a clear monofilament?

2. Is there a book or booklet that teaches different silk rolls and fold?

3. Where can I fing high quality silks that are not see through?

4. What are the best methods for changing the color of a silk without a dye tube?

Thanks,

Ben
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
1. get a hank pull and put a length of clear fishing line on it, then tie that to the elastic.
2. Most silk rolls are found in different places, lecture note, books, etc. Rice's encyclopedia of Magic has some in them. I think this is now on DVD, or get the books from http://www.hanklee.com
3. Try the fabric store and get silk for a ladies blouse. P&A Silk is out of business, they made silks in 8 momme weight that could not be seen through. I would help to know why you do not want them to be transparent. Most silk will hide props when held from a corner. Most props can be hidden by covering with a silk the same color as the silk shown.
4. Tarbell pull thru CC silk is the best. The best quality can be gotten from Rice. http://www.silkkingmagic.com
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I still make 8 momme silks and can make double or triple layer if needed. I have also made 12 momme silks.

The Goldin style color changing Hank (available from Rice, myself and others) is the easiest way to go.

Get the Rice Encyclopdias as they will answer any of your question on folding and pulls.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7396 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Ben -

1. Depending on when you are using it in your show, and how you want to be loaded afterwards, you might look at the Zimmerman Pull, for one possibility. You can perform it visually inside a clear tube. One second the silk is there in the tube between your hands, and then the next second it isn't.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Person With A Username
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Person With A Username
I would recommend the Vernet pull, as it can be used not only to vanish handkercheifs, but also other items as well. It does have a clear monofiliment.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ben,

Try this post:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......54&2

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-05-23 12:47, Ben Proudfoot wrote:

1. What are the best types of pulls? Something with a clear monofilament?

Thanks,

Ben

Contact Abbott's Magic in Colon, MI, they had and may still sell the Visible silk vanish. It is a unique vanisher that permits showing the silk in your hand before the vanish. It is a pull, but uniquely different in construction. I used it years ago and liked this feature of showing the silk in the hand.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL