We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Paul Potassy's "Bill in Potato" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1255 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I just read a description of this effect, and very much liked the idea. Especially I liked the idea of the spectator seamingly choosing a potato before the bill is vanished, to later find the bill had appeared inside the potato. Now what was not mentioned in the description was

Could the bill be signed by the spectator? Or would it have to be a non-signed bill - for obvious reasons?

Are any of you familiar with this routine, and can you share some light on this.

Best regards

Jan
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1234 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Where can I find this routine?
The Person With A Username
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Person With A Username
The trick is in the book The Magic of Paul Potassy by Uwe Schenk and Michael Sondermeyer. It was translated by Richard Hatch and published by H&R Magic books. Mr. Potassy seems to be a great performer.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Why use potato? The texture /meat of potato doesn't seem an easy medium to insert a bill? I have not seen Paul Potassy's Bill In Potato and perhaps he has a better method to do so.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1255 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
It's actually not about the potato, its about the routining of the effect - that's what I'm interested in. You can always exchange the potato for a lemon, a Kiwi, a red pepper fruit, whatever. However, the potato doesn't make the bill soaking wet, and it does create a laugh to bring forward a bag of potatoes.

My interest in this routine is, that the spectator can choose the potato prior to the vanish of the bill (or a bill) - I will find that out when I get the book. So many questions: Is it a free choice of a potato or a conjurers force, is it the spectators bill or a switch, can the bill be signed, when does it happen - ahhh exiting.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
849 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
During this time.. I've been exploring a load of old material I've had for ages, with no time to digest at leisure.
I've been doing Bill in Lemon for about 12 years or so - but this has one big advantage - when you retrieve the bill from the potato, it's a LOT drier than the bill in lemon.
I always carried a fresh banknote to replace the speccy's original one. With the potato - there's no need - but I'll still carry a spare, just in case..Choice of potato is equivoque. It's a signed bill. It's brilliant.
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22930 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Shortly after the book was released, L&L Publishing made a 3 DVD set of all the effects in the book, as all the material is actually in his act he has performed for many years. The Bill in Potato is on the DVD.

Being L&L was sold to Murphy Magic Wholesales they carry the rights. I looked on their website and all they say is check with Magic stores and magic websites for the DVDs. There is no information if they intend to reproduce all the DVDs.

If you have the Potassy book, then you need the 3 DVD set. All will become clear, and all so easy.

The 3 DVD set now sells for $99.95. If you intend to do shows, it is worth every penny.

https://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fi......m=DV6667

They have a download, but it is the same price.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1724 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
mantel
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On May 24, 2006, Mac_Stone wrote:

Reel Magic Issue 1 - Paul Harris
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22930 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2021, mantel wrote:
Quote:
On May 24, 2006, Mac_Stone wrote:

Reel Magic Issue 1 - Paul Harris

What are you referring to? Paul Harris has nothing to do with with the Paul Potassy Bill in Potato.

A REEL has nothing to do with this effect.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22930 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 24, 2006, Vraagaard wrote:
I just read a description of this effect, and very much liked the idea. Especially I liked the idea of the spectator seamingly choosing a potato before the bill is vanished, to later find the bill had appeared inside the potato. Now what was not mentioned in the description was

Could the bill be signed by the spectator? Or would it have to be a non-signed bill - for obvious reasons?

Are any of you familiar with this routine, and can you share some light on this.

Best regards
Jan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES, the Bill is signed and the serial number noted as well.
Basil
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
123 Posts

Profile of Basil
The effect is also on “World’s Greatest Magic - Stand-up Magic - Volume One” which is available on Penguin Magic as a $14.95 instant download.

Reel (as in a movie reel) Magic Episode 1 features Paul Harris, but has much more on it. The Paul Potassy’s Bill to Potato is listed as one of the items that includes a performance and explanation (I don’t have this particular issue personally, so I can’t say more than what is in the official description). This is available from Penguin as a $5 download.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:

The Bill is signed with a Pencil.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22930 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2021, mantel wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:

The Bill is signed with a Pencil.

Big Deal, who cares! At least it is signed with the person's name. It is illegal to deface currency in the U.S. They don't have to accept it or replace the damaged bill.

mantel, please tell us how using a pencil or a pen, makes the audience suspect anything is being suspect. Did you watch the video? Please give us your expert explanation, why that takes anything away from the effect.

Easier to erase, so you don't have to through the bill away. It sure looked like an ink pen to me. I will check it out again.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2021, Basil wrote:
The effect is also on “World’s Greatest Magic - Stand-up Magic - Volume One” which is available on Penguin Magic as a $14.95 instant download.

Reel (as in a movie reel) Magic Episode 1 features Paul Harris, but has much more on it. The Paul Potassy’s Bill to Potato is listed as one of the items that includes a performance and explanation (I don’t have this particular issue personally, so I can’t say more than what is in the official description). This is available from Penguin as a $5 DVD.

As I corrected above Reel Magic Magazine is only available via DVD and On Demand [Streaming].
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22930 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mental, I checked the DVD. He refers to it as "pencil", but not explained why he has a cap on the "pencil". If it is a "pencil", and not a language translation error.

It did sound like wood, when he placed the "pencil" on the table. You still have the serial number to verify no "hanky Panky" has happened.

Great routine and a lot of entertainment, along with a lot of audience responses. Just a good routine with a lot of thought given to everything.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of mantel
Bill, I do not care to be written to in this way. I hope it was a mistake.

Well, Paul mentions in either the performance or explanation that the Pencil can be erased.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22930 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, mantel, the way I read your comment about Paul using a pencil, there was something wrong with his choice.

Again, you last post, you say, "that the pencil can be erased". Of course pencil lead an be erased, but are you saying it is possible to erased during the performance, or the spectator can remove his writing himself.

The way you are commenting, it can be taken in different context.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of mantel
I wrote that Paul mentions in either the performance or explanation that the Pencil can be erased because you wrote that Paul's "Pencil" for whatever reason had a cap. By Paul saying that it "pencil can be erased" it implies that the writing utensil he was using is indeed a Pencil!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22930 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mantel, you have caused me find the correct answer. I got out "The Magic of Paul Potassy" book, on page 121, it is mentioned several times, that Paul uses a "Marking Pen". No brand or type of pen given.

As I mentioned previously, when English is not your normal language, verbal translation can be difficult on the fly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Paul Potassy's "Bill in Potato" (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL