The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson, Tango & Sasco (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
While I don't want to fan the flames of controversy regarding who makes the best gaff coins, I'm interested in the mid-market manufacturers. I'd love a nice custom set of quality gaffs, but at this particular time, I can't justify the expense. Long ago (circa 1975) I had a Johnson shell that worked fine for me and I did some nice bits of business with it.

For some reason, I put my "toys" away and haven't done much with it in 25 years. But obviously once infected, never cured. I've started doing "effects" for friends, family and associates lately and I want to sharpen up my coin work. I need to replace my shell and I want to get a flipper. Never had one, but I can easily see some incredible potential for the shell and flipper in tandum. And there are probably a few pamphlets and DVD's to help with routines as well.

But the issue is getting the gaffs. I'm a bit hesitent to pop $100 down for a flipper from one of the big boys. The lower end folks sell them for around $23 or so...or Tango has a silver half dollar version for $40. The shell can be had for around $20...or done in the silver version for $34.

My understanding is that Tango and Johnson are the better choices for middle of the road coin gaffs. I'm curious if anyone who has actually owned either or both of these could provide a basic review--stating their strengths/weaknesses. Especially since I'm also interested in the quarter versions as well.

I know, I know...I should probably just get one top quality gravity flipper instead of everything else...but four coins for the price of one is a bit overwhelming to me.

Any thought on Tango vs. Johnson...or is there someone else I'm missing?

Many thanks in advance,

BooRadley
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Go with Johnson.

They have great gaffs for resonable prices.

Check out themagicwarehouse.com And look for Silver Coins.

Johnson has a whole line of silver gaffs that will fit your needs.

I find a lot of the silver gaffs are not in stock all of the time..
But check back frequently, the restock pretty often.

Shawn.
Shawn.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I've never seen Tango coins, but have never been as impressed by Sasco as I have by Johnson. Also, if you're interested in Flippers and Shell work, check out some of Troy Hooser's material. He uses both together quite often and you will learn a good number of subtleties from any of his work.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I would go with Tango. They seem to be a better quality than johnson.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
It's my understanding that the Schoolcraft flipper is constructed differently than the Johnson/Sasco/Tango flippers, and the difference is significant; click HERE to view. So even though the price is about double the cost of a Johnson flipper, it might be worth the investment in the long run. Jamie also sells a special flipper that is specially designed to work well with his ]'s, another requirement that you mentioned.

Other than that, I would say that Johnson has always seemed to offer the best quality and value for the buck in mid-priced coin gaffs. If you're going to have and use the gaff for 10 years, the extra cost for something reliable and durable isn't all that much, in my opinion. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I agree that Johnson would be my first choice of the three. I do have a Tango Magnetic Flipper and it works well for me, but does require a bit of a knack. As for Sasco gaffs... I'm sure that there are some folks who have had good luck with their products but I'm just not one of them.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I have always been a fan of Johnson Products for the mass made gaffs. Can't go wrong with them. They have an excellent rep for quality.

However, discussing the flipper coin specifically, BooRadley, see my response to your question in the other thread HERE.
Click to visit:
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I personally use Johnson coins when performing for laity. I only break out the higher end coins when playing around with ohter magicians. I don't think I could bear it if I dropped a $300 dollar shell on pavement while performing in public...... Smile
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
lelo
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of lelo
I use Johnson coins because of quality and availability.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Johnson....Johnson...Johnson.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have to concur that for the price, Johnson is the way to go!
magicmike96
View Profile
New user
PLAINFIELD, IL
98 Posts

Profile of magicmike96
I have a tango flipper coin and the thing is a piece of junk...i cant find any rubber bands that fit it and it doesn't close that nice...and the actual flipper part looks fake because it is missing a thin rim to fit in the shell. I say spend the money on the schoolcraft because you will be more pleased with it...MIKE
( /) what if the
(0.o) hokey pokey
(><) really IS what its all about?!
/_[_
feel free to pm me. MIKE Smile
coinlover
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of coinlover
Just ask them to replace you a new one. I have some from Tango they are not that bad. The quality ia not as good as Jamie but they are perfect for that prices.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
I have both Johnson and Tango flippers (and shells), and in my opinion, Tango is just as good (or better...)

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Did I mention Johnson?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Two months ago I would have said Tango, their product was great...but...it looks like they might (I said might) be trying to cut costs. The quality on the last two shippments I have seen have been down a bit. It might be a bad batch. The flipper coins we had in stock (I help out at the local shop) were great! The chinese coin shells are the worst things I have ever seen.
Johnson products always feel to me a bit over priced and they can be a pain to work with.

Save your pennies, buy from the big boys and you will not be sad.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I have never encounter any problems with Johnson's. Tango in general is a notch better than Sasco. Tango Magic makes a great Silver Copper Brass Transposition set. However, lately, the Tango set seems to go off the shelf at the local magic stores and Tango seems to in no hurry to ship them to replenish their supply.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
PIPmagician
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of PIPmagician
Quote:
On 2006-06-25 10:27, ursusminor wrote:
I have both Johnson and Tango flippers (and shells), and in my opinion, Tango is just as good (or better...)

Bjørn

Do the Tango shells cover the side of the coin as well as the Johnsons?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
PIP,
We're talkin' flippers here. Smile

As for the sh**ls... the Johnson "Ultimate Expandeds" will meet your expectations with regard to coverage. Can't speak for the Tangos...
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
I've had a Tango shell, as well as Johnson, Sasco, Schoolcraft, and others, and it was on the lower end of quality. The cut was not very deep (so the coverage was lacking) and the quality of the cut was bad (very rough inside the shell). I sold mine soon after buying it. As far as middle-market shells go, I'm sold on Johnson.
Aaron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson, Tango & Sasco (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL