The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Halloween (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I know it's a while away, but preperation never hurts. When do you start mailing off Halloween letters? Who do you mail them to? What kind of shows do you do for Halloween(besides "public ones" "ones for kids" "scary ones"); be specific? I have never done anything for Halloween before pertaining to magic and balloons and would love to jump on the train. This is by far the coolest holiday and I would definatly love to do many shows and balloons; please tell me everything I should know about who to market to, what to market, when to market, etc.

Thanks,
Gideon
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
I guess who to market to really depends on you! do you want to do daycares, schools, malls , fairs/festivals etc. I have performed halloween shows at all of the above, then your marketing materials will fit the market, my halloween show for schools is an educational safety show about halloween which gets it booked more then just a regular hallowens how!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
A lot of malls have little real excitement around halloween which leaves it open for us entertainers to come in and help. The key is to make a halloween-based family show. Not too scary. A lot of effects can be adapted to halloween themes. Some effects you just need to have Igor do them or the Creep hold a prop.
Two other things to mention to the mall...have a parade of costumes walking to the mall, have the show, then the kiddies can trick or treat in the mall. Everybody wins.

Another thing you can do is put on a theatre show. This you can make as scary as you want, depending on who you want to market to...Families, teens, adults...maybe an alternative to devil's night? For the scarier stuff, think head choppers, and gore/shock effects.

As for balloons, you can research balloonhq.com for some ideas.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It is very rare that a working magician can't find more work than he can accept for Halloween. However, the shows can be very different. Over the years I have worked them from everything to preschoolers to adult country club parties and all in between. There are even some opportunities for TV commercials during the season. You need to identify your specific target market early. The best paying ones are usually booked by the end of April. But the world is full of people and orgnizations that "plan behind" too. Halloween and Valentines are the easiest booking dates to fill. Don't give them away! They are good repeat business.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I am a family entertainer, but where should I work? I've asked similar questions and all I ever get back is "call the people in charge of the event" or "do a public show." What I want to know is EXACTLY where to do a show. What is the orginazations you can work for. Do I contact my local librarian? Do I talk to park district?

Let me know,
Gideon
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Well, I must be that rare case. Although I am usually busy all year long, Ocotober is really my slowest month. Thanksgiving could have a little to do with that (for us Canadians).

What I am doing to combat this "slowness" in my area (a large amount of conservative people live here--you make the connection) is to put on theatre shows. I rent the theatre, sell adspace and sell tickets then put on a family show. I figured, if I can't find the work at that time, I make the work myself. And that equals success for me.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Gideon -

I have heard of few entertainers who do lots of Halloween shows for daycares and schools. Those are two possible markets.

Rick Allen has a product about a Halloween & Safety themed show, and tells you how to market it to those two markets, especially daycares, as well as teaching you routines.

I read one person's testimonial on The Dean's List about Rick's product, about how he did about 90 shows one Halloween because of using Rick's product as his starter material, and working from there. Was that you that did that, Greg (macmagic)? I can't remember.

For me personally, Halloween is a little slow (never did anything close to 10 shows, let alone 90!), because I don't market / perform a Halloween specific show. I do a few shows each October for Halloween, mostly for Shopping Centres and Recreation Centres.

If you don't do a Halloween specific show, and are a clean family entertainer, there are also possibilities of working church "Harvest" events (Halloween alternatives).

To recap, here's the list of possible venues you are seeking (for family shows):

- daycares and preschools
- elementary schools
- shopping centres
- recreation centres
- churches

- Donald

P.S. In addition to Rick's product, I think John Bundy also has a book on Halloween Shows and John Kaplan also has a product / course about Halloween shows. Each are about a different type of show, for a slightly different market. David Ginn also has a book about Halloween fun themed magic tricks and routines.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Donald is right in that John Bundy is not only huge when it comes to Halloween shows and ideas, but he does indeed have a lecture notes and some products he has based on this Halloween theme. He also shows in the lecture notes how to change common props around to make them holiday themed for any occasion.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My shows at Halloween are not really modified much other than the colors used for Halloween. (I do the same for most seasons and events.) However, it is a very busy time.

I know I'm not the Lone Ranger there. A road warrior magician friend of mine has an email address "myhalloweenmagic@aol.com"

He also has had two One Man Parades in Linking Ring. It's not his hobby!

Some of us don't think of Halloween as black and orange but "Green"!

Look at your market. Magic isn't just for children!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Yes Donald that probably was me on the Deans list, October is crazy.......and I love it! The Rick Allen product def. got me in the right direction as far as marketing the show!
the reason the show is rebooked every year and I do have to turn people away would be its a good quality show and it teaches safety lessons(if I am doing it in a library I even throw in some reading motivation)
I have done this show pretty much everywhere I would normally perform at schools, Libraries, day cares, rec centers, malls, private parties etc.
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20250 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here is my confussion. A "family entertainer" really does not cover it. We don't know what you do or don't do so how much can we help?

As for where to work, well that depends on you and your area. Do you have haloween festivals? Do you have kids parties like Boy Scouts? Do you have restaurants that have parties? I mean it depends on you and your area.

Get in with restaurants who have a room that books parties. Have them sell you as part of their package.

Find an agent that books a lot of haloween stuff. This is stuff that really is easy to do. It should help you year round as well.

First thing to do is maybe get a copy of Jim Snacks course. It will help you year round and increase business tremendously. THAT will be better than targeting haloween.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Halloween (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL