The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » On a Slant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I've noticed most production boxes for rabbits require them to be on a slant. Are the rabbits okay with this? Is it uncomfortable? Do they every get pinched or wedged in too far?

Thanks,
Gideon
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Yes, it is difficult for the rabbit if the bottom surface is not flat. That is why most thoughtful magicians minimize the time the rabbit is loaded.

Like most grazers, rabbits are designed to be on Terra firma. Anything uneven is difficult for them.

That is also why I prefer the Bunny Box as it is just a bit dark for a few minutes, no slanted bottom.

Bob
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I am contimplating which is worse for the rabbit: the slant on a production box, or the squeeze of the rabbit pan.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Gideon, The slant of the Bunny box is really not as bad as you may think as Wellington mentioned. Its the amount of time that the bunny is in any device that is the issue. Being on a slant doesn't disturb the rabbit, or hurt the rabbit, but just be cautious of how much time the rabbit is there. I have been using the same rabbit for 9 years on a slanted surface, and no harm done. Again, its just the amount of time that you have the rabbit there. The rabbit pan, in my personal opinion, would be more dangerous to the rabbit because there is an issue of a limited amount air once set Not to mention that that rabbit will begin to breathe faster because of the dark very confined space which in turn will use up more of the oxygen in that small space. At least with the 'production' box, there is some kind of constant flow of air from someplace.

Again, that is just my opinion, and someone else may think differently...
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
The MAK Bunny Box has no slant.
Bob
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Bob, do you think the slant is "less cruel" per say than the pan?

www.gideonsylvan.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
After forty-five years of animal magic it occurred to me that I have never owned a prop that put a rabbit on a slant! (And I've even put a horse on a slant!)

I'm not qualified to deal with your question. For a horse, you paint the prop floor with the paint used on diving boards at swimming pools. (You also don't use iron shoes.)

From owning many rabbits (and still do), I doubt that the rabbit cares very much how flat the floor is within limits. They willingly give up flat surfaces to sleep over their feed dish or some other obstacle. I have noticed that some rabbits fear heights. Most rabbits prefer dim light to strong light. (Just the opposite of doves.) They are also little heat seekers.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2006-05-27 15:12, Gideon Sylvan wrote:
Bob, do you think the slant is "less cruel" per say than the pan?

YES.
Bob
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Gideon,
I use a number of different props. Our bunnies are in tubes, sit on slanted surface and flat surfaces while waiting to be produced. Our girls like the level surface the least - Go figure.
Max
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I checked with a biologist. Rabbits wouldn't pay extra for flat level surfaces. They even prefer tunnels that slant.

I'm glad you are concerned for their comfort and safety, but this one isn't a critical issue to rabbits.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » On a Slant (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL