The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Close up routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
I am putting together a routine which will include the following effects:
1. Multiplying rabbits
2. Three coin effects (Mira metal, sheep and theives, signed quarter in box)
3. Out of this world card trick
4. Cups and balls

I am trying to think of an easy, quick, and attention grabbing opener. Suggestions appreciated. Also, do you think this is a good order for the effects?

Don
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I suggest you start writing a script. You may not even need a fifth. You probably will though, but you'll have a better idea what you are after, if you know what your flow and/or theme is.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
The standard philosophy (if there is such a thing, since two magicians can't seem to agree on so much as which way North is) seems to be this:

(1) Open with something quick and amazing as an attention-grabber.
(2) Don't include weak effects. If you've tried them out and they only get a polite reaction, cut them.
(3) As you gain experience, try out any new effects in the middle of your act. Add only those that get a strong reaction.
(4) Finish with your strongest effect. This is your 'reputation maker', the one your audience will remember you for.

Good luck!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Is there an animal theme here? Rabbits and sheep? Smile

1. Do a coin production. Perhaps from a flame, the spectator's clothing, etc. Do a flurry or something with the quarter. Follow with Mira Metal (which I'm not familiar with) then signed quarter in box (nest of boxes?). End with Thieves and Sheep.

2. Speaking of sheep you have rabbits too. Multiplying rabbits.

3. What's the C&B routine? Is it a con game explained and something the thieves do on the side? What will your final loads be? Perhaps a deck of cards?

4. The spec. does the magic in OOTW?

Good luck,
cajmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, California
235 Posts

Profile of cajmagic
I agree with airship totally on order of tricks - If I may add

What personality do you wish to put forward

Skill? Copperfield Smile
Impromptu? David Blain or Angel Smile
Comedy? Amazing Johnathan & Penn/Teller Smile
Clown? Clowns Smile
Traditional? Wilson Smile

your first trick - and the patter you use will establish the routine and who you are being.

Think about doing a performance - not just a string of tricks

For a Skill or Traditional performance you want somthing with a hat and wand
For comedy you want somthing funny
Clowns you want somthing that squirts
Impromptu you want to ask for somthing from the audience

I do hope this helps - being a good magician is harder than just doing good tricks
Caj Brejtfus
CajMagic and the CAJ Deck of Magic Gaff Cards
:BIKES:
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
The order you have it actually not that bad. You may even want to start with the Rabbits. Out of This World third is where I would put it as it slows the pace of the show just before the finale, etc.

Whatever you use for an opener keep one thing in the front of your mind: You want something that you can do without fault that....ESTABLISHES "YOU" AS A MAGICIAN....right from the get-go. This is crucial. You can do a comedy bit, but it better have a good solid 'bite' to it magically, etc. Do whatever you can do that looks magical and you have always found to be powerful magically. That covers a ton of territory, but it is something that can vary widely from performer to performer.

As examples here are the routines I still use to open:

In a stand up show situation I use either a short pithy 3 part rope routine or I use Six Card Repeat.

In a close-up, walk around, etc. situation I use a trick I sell called Two Ones to a Two. It's fast, easy, magical and resets automatically. But, I have also used a short Vanish a Hanky with a T.T. routine or Professor's Nightmare which is one third of the rope routine above.

Personally I consider the opening routine the most important. From there you can play around. But, that opener...man that IS the routine that sets up the rest of the show. Best,
Brad Burt
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
I would say make sure that you make a script. As far as order I think ill leave that to you but you should understand the concept of flow. A routine should have a certain degree of flow from one trick to another. You should have a reason to go from one trick to another. Perhaps you do an ace location and then you use the aces that you just found to find a selection. That is one example of stringing tricks together so it makes sense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Close up routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL