The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A warm up? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magibrad
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of magibrad
For your kid's shows, do any of you do a warm up...not nessarcarily a trick. But a game perhaps...to lighten the atomoshphere of the show. I always find that when i walk into a show its tense, and ideas as to lightening it up?

-Brad
Zorak
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland, USA
114 Posts

Profile of Zorak
Hi Brad,
I have a clown for an assistant, (helps me book more shows), and she does a comedy warm-up.
She does the ketchup bottle in the paper bag as demonstrated on Rich Marotta tape. He has three tapes in this series. I don't know which one it's on off hand. It's a really funny bit. The real little ones will think you are doing real magic, while the older ones (including grown ups) will think it is a put on until the end.
You really blow their mind as well.
I can only tell you that we use the Neilson ketchup bottle and the jelly bean can with spring snakes that we embellished with sparkly tassels. Wish I could tell you more but it is Mr. Marotto's original idea.
Check it out. Smile
Magic is in the hearts of children from 1 to 101
Please check out my Website: kiddiekazam.com
FREE ORIGINAL CLIPART FOR MAGICIANS & CLOWNS
PROP DESIGNS
MAGIC CARTOONS all drawn by Zorak
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
With kids I alays start out by talking to the kids and letting them know when to talk and when not to. I also use this as a time to tell them that if they are very good I will teach them a trick at the end. I also let them know that they do need to have fun as well, so I get them applauding and yelling and basically a little more energized. Overall they have fun and will regulate each other durring the show for the promise of learning how to do magic.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
How's this for a warm-up for smaller kids (under 8):

I get the kids to stand up, then I ask them to jump up and down as fast as they can on the count of 3. Then I tell them that I want to hear just how loud they can clap their hands (on the count of 3). Finally, I ask them to YELL AND SCREAM as loud as they can (again on the count of 3), with the usual "come on, you can do better than that." Believe me, they love this and you also get the excess energy drained at the beginning. Following all of this I'll usually go into a quick trick.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I have made a routine like the blooming flowers. I use a silk this is my whole intro with the watch carefuly stay sitting down and listen.. I make the silks vanish but when they see it again they are to yell out.. The silk is stuck on my back so when I turn around to get my wand they start.. I do the It's behind me ?ECT>> this then turns into a silk into change bag to a happy birthday silk where we learn the magic word for the day...This intro does alot for me sets the rules with out setting rules. gets them going It's behind you!!!! then allows me to be introduced to the bday child and we learn the magic words happy bday (childs name) at the very start of the show
me- I say hi everyone..
them- Hi
me- I say hi everyone..
them- Hi
me- no, no , no put some zip into it Hi everyone
Them- yelling HI!!!
Me - well you don't have to yell at me.
me- my name is (use your name here) everyone say hi(name)
them- Hi(name)
me-Hi(name) as to encourage them to be louder
them- Hi(name)
Me- Hi everyone
them- they will sometimes say "hi everyone"
Me -- no, no, no thats my part..
Then I go into the above. well how many of you have been to a magic show before?? well those who have not then you need to watch, listen, and stay sitting in your place that way everyone gets to have fun are you ready?
them- yeah
me- you see I have two blue colths this is #1 and this is #2 and if I count to 1, 2, 3 then did you see it, no did you see it .
'(someone will yes I saw it) ah you see they must have been to a magic show before and they know to watch and listen carefuly because you see the cloth #1 is now over here and cloth #2 is now over here. You don't have to clap for that just mgo yeah (your name) oh well I'll just tie these together and place them aside for now. lets try it with this red cloth. I am going to make this cloth vanish. but it will come back and when it does I want you to yell hay Bill there it is..... go into above
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Yes,

Warm-up are necessary to get the kids primed and also to lay down the "ground rules" (How you pick your assistants, applause when they like something, stuff like that)

Here is my Intro and basic warm up:

Walk on stage with loaded Sixth Finger in-between the first and middle fingers.

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening boys and girls (or young ladies and gentleman)

Show hands empty, grab sixth finger with left hand and produce the WELCOME silk.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Magic ( or Name of place or event). My name is Dennis Michael...Now before we get started, let me mention that if you see anything during the show that you like or enjoy, feel free to clap your hands and applaud.

Wrap sixth finger in silk and hold in right hand. Place silk & finger on table and pick up Appearing Cane with right hand in a smooth move, blocking this move with the body half turned. Or get it from a Cane Holder.

Also, if you see anything during the show that looks funny, or sounds funny and makes you want to laugh, go right ahead and laugh... Remember, today we are going to have a lot of fun... We are going to make things appear and disappear. We’re even going to have some of you come right up her (to the stage) and assist me... But not now! Later on in the show, I will pick my assistants by how well they stay in their seats and by how much they enjoy the show.

By the way, I want all of you to help me right now.. to see if we have any magicians out there... When I count to three I want you to call out that magical word Abracadabra... Get ready... One ...Two... Three... Abracadabra...

Not everybody normally shows enthusiasm with this introduction so state...

Have a Banana! ... That’s not a magical word! ... Oh... You did say it but it wasn’t loud enough, lets try that again... One ...Two ... Three... Abracadabra...

At this point something magical happens as the cane appears in your hand. This can be done by throwing the cane from the right hand to the left in a magical gesture or quickly opening and closing the right hand as you move it toward the audience. The surprise will get a reaction from the audience.

You did it you really did...I see we have a lot of magicians out there! Thank You!

This routine can also be done with an appearing wand, a silk, a person, a bird, a rabbit, flowers, ...anything that will instantly appear establishing you as a magician.

An added touch is to produce a THANK YOU silk, from a back pocket or body load steal. As you bow, grab the silk and produce it with a snap of the fingers. If two string loops are placed on the ends, the message appears quickly. It is folded in a coil fold according to Rice Encyclopedia Vol. 1 Single Silk appearances coil fold, pg. 35, although other methods will accomplish the same thing.

Place cane and silk next to the next trick and pick up that trick.
Dennis Michael
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I laways start like this:
(I use an amp and mic in every single show1)

"testing, testing one, two ...." of course just about every one shouts out "3"
I then do it again.

I ask "can evry one hear me?" they answer "yes but I pretend not to hear so I ask again and they answer.

"can every one see me?" they say yes but i pretend not to hear so i ask again and they shout out their answer.

"is every one here?" they say yes but i pretend not to hear and ask again and they answer.

"whoever is not here just raise your hand!" Most hands go up in the air and all the adults laugh and then the kids laugh too.

"I ask because at every party there are always late comers and I wouldn't want them to miss the beggining"

Whilst we wait let me show you how magicians warm up" I do a dancing hankie routine and make it very mystical as if I am realy warming up for things to come.

After that I say: "well seems as if every one has arrived so maybe we should begin but wait, I haven't properly introduced myself yet. Good evening (or afternoon or morning) everyone" - they all respond - "for all those that know and all those that don't know, to all those who know but don't remember, my name is Dani the magician and I was was on the phone the other day when someone invited me to come do a show for you. They asked me to bring magic, a mic and a speaker so that everyone can hear and also to produce a "magical invironment" but they never actualy told me why. Can anyone tell me why you and I are here today?" They answer.
I continue "Oh it's a birthday. Yes I thought it might be a birthday but who's birthday is it?". They answer.

(If it's not a birthday I omit that last phraze etc.)

I invite the b.day boy or girl to come stand next to me and we applaud and bless him or her and start the show.

Sounds long but given a good pace and timed right it is a secure way to set a comfortable, peaceful and happy invironment with out all the shouting and shuffling to warm up. The kids seem to adapt to me very quickly and some times I just introduce myself fleetingly and start the show.
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
For a warm-up, I always do hand clapping gags, some funny jokes that incorporate participation like knock knock jokes. I choose two or three that have a natural flow to them (like a story). For ex: Donut (donut forget to laugh at my jokes) Amos (a mosiquito bit my bumb) Anna (Another one bit me) Lettuce (let us begin the show).

My warm up for the my recent summer show used the routine published in the MAGIC magazine using the mutilated umbrella.

Duane Laflin has nice routine (an old one) using silks witht the theme: Is the hand quick than the eye.

cheers,

j.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I can only tell you that we use the Neilson ketchup bottle and the jelly bean can with spring snakes that we embellished with sparkly tassels. Wish I could tell you more but it is Mr. Marotto's original idea.

Sounds alot like Martin Lewis's snacks alive
(magician puts a coke bottle into a paper bag which changes to a tube of pringles. pringles are opened to show the snacks and instead there are snakes!)

Phillip
magibrad
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of magibrad
Thnks all...you had great ideas! I did a quick warm up with them. Asked questions like, what was just around the corner...and got them to say a magic word...which i used for the entire show. It was great fun...i had a blast, and i got a $70 bonus!

-Brad
Zorak
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland, USA
114 Posts

Profile of Zorak
We use the jellybean can and ketchup bottle also. Most of the audience think they are wise to what is happening. It gets instant reaction and when my assistant (who is performing this trick) crushes the bag it gets gasps and laughter. Thanks Rich Marotta.
Another opening we use for houseparties is the Hopping Half, under the pretense of teaching them a trick. My routine starts out with the old coin from behind the ear bit (Don't underestimate the effectiveness of that little number.) A copper coin appears also and the routine concludes with the appearance of 2 jumbo metal coin that I clang together. Of course there are funny bits of business in this pseudo teaching trick. The kids love it. They are a part of the action and are eager to learn some magic.
They are not disappointed that they really didn't learn a trick because we instantly go into our next amusing bit with a puppet.
This does several things: It gets the kid interest so they watch closely. There are some older kids that come to the party that believe they are too smart or grown up for magic. These kids are led down the garden path in a delightful and funny way.
In the end everyone is fooled, amused, and credits you with great skill. They know they are in for a mysterious and fun-filled show.
I would like to mention that the theory that we are to get the kids screaming and stomping their feet is bunk. I know that there are some "name" magicians that teach this on their videos. No way. First we are there to entertain the children and please the adults. Enciting riotous behavior (that gets any infants to crying) is not recommended.
It's like the preacher who has no real message but pounds the pulpit and bellows just to keep the parishers awake.
Your not a drill sargeant, nor are you a member of the WWF. You are a kidshow entertainer. Your message should be fun and your method should be conveyed with love.
Magic is in the hearts of children from 1 to 101
Please check out my Website: kiddiekazam.com
FREE ORIGINAL CLIPART FOR MAGICIANS & CLOWNS
PROP DESIGNS
MAGIC CARTOONS all drawn by Zorak
Greg V
View Profile
New user
B.C. Canada
43 Posts

Profile of Greg V
Although this post is very old, I just thought I would share a great warm-up idea I believe I found in the Linking Ring. It works great and seems to get the kids to sit still and pay attention. Here it is:

The warm-up is in two parts. The first part is a single joke. “Let’s see who is here. Raise your hand if you are a boy.” With those to words I raise my left hand. “Good. Now raise your hand if you are a girl.” I raise my right hand. “And raise your hand if you’re a pizza.”
The second part of the warm-up begins with what I call “Raise Your Foot.” It is a sequence of questions that start out normally and end up quite silly. The kids love it! “If you like magic, raise your hand.” (Raise you own hand as an example.) “If you like balloons, raise your hand.” (Pause) “If you like me raise your foot.” The children will wait a beat, and then they will raise their foot. If you like playing with your friends, raise your hair.” Say hair like you were about to say hand. By this point the children know you are playing around, and are more than happy to play along. Pause after each sentence for the kids to react to your instructions and for their laughter.
Continue by saying, “If you like to eat candy, raise your teeth. If you like listening to music, raise your ears. If you like eating ice cream, raise your tongue. If you like playing with your toys raise your belly button. If you like going to parties (or whatever show you are doing) raise your bottom.” Keep this in you back pocket whenever you need to stall for time.
Formerly, when religion was strong and science weak, men mistook magic for medicine; now, when science is strong and religion weak, men mistake medicine for magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A warm up? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL