The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Shock, Geek, Sideshow magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Hi, Can any tell me a list of good effects, dvds or books on these type of tricks?
Something along the line of these...

Saw by Sean Fields

Needle through Arm

Shock FX, Shock Magic and Gut Buster by Andrew Mayne

Geek Magic by Thomas Medina.

Anything Disturbing, Bloody, hard to watch, or weird that you can do fully surounded on the streets. Thanks alot!

Mike
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Any of the sideshow acts will fulfil your needs, but you'll need a pro teacher.
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Kelvin W Sherlock
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Kelvin W Sherlock
You might want to check out the Swami/Mantra book, it's a collection of the material from the swami and mantra magazines of the early 70s.
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
I thought about getting swami mantra but I heard the instructions are incomplete. I don't know anyone who does this stuff and I can't travel to learn so I'm looking for something that's either fake or something that is real but simple. How about human Pin cushion?? A few Fire eating effects (if easy)? any info at all would be great...thanks!

Mike
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Howabout being put in a straitjacket, tied up with heavy chains and anklecuffs, held upside down by a chain, put into a water tank, and you try to get out in 2 minutes or less?

I don't know. It'd be hard core if you could be in a glass chamber, kind of like the David Blaine one where you can't hear the outside world, and have me in there as well. If you could survive that for oh, say 5 minutes, I'd call it disturbing and hard to watch.

(on an honest note) I like the idea of fire eating. It's quite intriguing due to its obscurity and because of its danger. Just don't get your face burned off.

Michael
jayp
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of jayp
Who are the teachers of these kind of effects in the UK? Are they easy to find? Approacable? do they want to teach? is it one on one? expensive? etc.? Any adivce would be helpful
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
I for sure won't get in a tank of water...lol...
I'm looking for something that I can do, kind of walk around on the street maybe to gather a crowd.

Jayp:
I was reading somewhere on the Café that people were gonna try to get a thing going in the UK to teach and they mentioned video taping it and selling it afterwards. Try a search.

Mike
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
The only teachers, that are qualified in my eyes to teach sideshow arts (not magic) are Todd Robbins and Harley Newman, both are in america.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
New user
Cornwall, UK
88 Posts

Profile of bilz
Brian Brushwood's "Professional guide to fire eating" is quite a thorough guide to fire eating techniques. I've only done some of the basics and after a lot of research and thinking decided against taking it any further - for me the dangers are just too great... and the taste is pretty awful!

However even if you read/use the book you really need to find someone with experience to help guide you if you're going down that road...

Just my 2 pennies!

Bilz
Learn as if you would live forever...
...live as if you would die tomorrow.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Brian's an ok fire-eater, and I hear his show is good. However, his judgement could be called into question. Is it a wise or responsible thing to sell a book to the masses (as he does), that covers a series of stunts that are dangerous, and should only be taught in person?

Some will disagree with me. "Oh yes, We can figure it out."

All I say is "Go ahead, if that's what you want. Burn your face off, broil your bronchea, and fill your lungs with toxic mist." Just don't do it in public. You'll make life harder for those of us who do this for a living.

Sideshow magic? I've seen a lot. But most of what's currently called "sideshow magic" would'nt have been done in a sideshow. Hippity-Hop Rabbits, card tricks, lota bowls, lots of corny comedy. THAT's sideshow magic. The above-mentioned material is great bizarre stuff, and should give you ideas.

People teaching in UK...there was a discussion about this last year. Nothing came of it. I offered to teach there this year. Again, not enough interest. I'll keep options open, though. If enough people come forward, I'll figure a time and place to do it.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I'd feel better about sending you any info until I knew more about you, your age, and your real agenda...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
I'm 21. I did mostly Mentalism with some magic for awhile. I think I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to some of the stuff in sideshow but I think I might be able to go with the human Pincushion and maybe some other things, and mix it with some fake things like the pin through arm, stuff on the geek magic dvd, things like I mentioned at the top... Something I could gather a small croud with and freak people out.

I read about someone putting a burning rag or kleenex in their mouth...How safe would that be? I seen info on how to put a lit cigarette between your thumb and finger and it won't hurt (haven't tried it yet but I will). Scott Xavier has a book out with things such as putting a hot iron on your toungue.I also heard of people using a stapler on their arm which might go into this act. This could be out in the streets maybe in front of place where people around my age are. so any ideas on little things I could do like these would be great. I appreciate it..Thanks!

Mike
magiGlen
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magiGlen
Geek magic is a great dvd, get it! The things they teach are not real, you don't really do all the things it looks like you are.
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Ordered "Geek Magic" yesterday and ordered "Saw" today...can't wait.

Mike
Trinket
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
40 Posts

Profile of Trinket
I think that putting a burning rag or kleenex in your mouth is a bad idea. If you want to learn fire eating, find a teacher. I would highly advise sticking to the "fake" stuff until you can get a real teacher. If you don't get a teacher, you could kill or maime yourself in a very messy and very painful way. Good luck hon.
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Yeah, I wouldn't do anything with fire unless it's not too dangerous. But there's nobody close enough to teach this type of stuff....oh well. I can hammer nails into boards with my hands, maybe learn to rip a phonebook in half and bend steel bars. I also seen one where you wrap a rope around your head and get people to pull on each side of the rope choking you, but you have your hands on the ropes as well, but if you slip and let go, it's gonna hurt.....lol

Mike
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Mike...it's like reading a comic book and seeing the movie about Spiderman and deciding that's what you want to be. What are the odds you'll fall off a building and crack your skull? You being an adult understand this and also realize there is no Spiderman...really.

However in the case of the Sideshow Arts, they are REAL. They are also not done by every wannabee because they are Difficult & Dangerous...just like the higher forms of Martial Arts. You want to be like Jet Li? Get the training, don't just watch his movies or read about him and wish you were....you WILL get your ass kicked.

Enter the real world that is not just handed over on a plate fully realized and ready to wear.
If you can't get the one on one training then enjoy the results of those who have and be entertained. It's their job. You are 21...maybe 5 or even 10 years from now you will be able to follow through and learn properly from someone whether they are close or not.

Or...if you re-order your priorities...maybe 10 years from now YOU can be the one teaching.

There IS Right and Wrong Mike. What you are asking for is Wrong no matter the desire for instant gratification.

Meanwhile stick to the fake stuff.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Trinket
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
40 Posts

Profile of Trinket
Quote:
On 2006-05-29 11:59, Mental_Mike wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't do anything with fire unless it's not too dangerous. But there's nobody close enough to teach this type of stuff....oh well. I can hammer nails into boards with my hands, maybe learn to rip a phonebook in half and bend steel bars. I also seen one where you wrap a rope around your head and get people to pull on each side of the rope choking you, but you have your hands on the ropes as well, but if you slip and let go, it's gonna hurt.....lol

Mike

I believe that anything involving fire is dangerous. With fire, things can go really wrong, really fast; no matter how small the flame may be. There are also many "fake" things that can go wrong, and the rope around the neck is one of them... One minor mistake and it's not just "gonna hurt", it can cause brain damage or death. If you are serious about this craft then it is necessary to understand the risks involved. You are your own person and you can make your own choices. I am in no way belittling your desire to perform these acts. I have the performers disease as well. Just understand that if you do these acts poorly and injure yourself or worse, it could reflect poorly on the rest of the sideshow community.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Mike, you really need to get a knowledgable teacher, and learn in-person. Some of the things you mention are stupid to try, without good teaching. Fire is obvious.

You mention the rope around the neck stunt. As one of a very small handful of people who know and perform this, I can say that you have no idea of what you're talking about. None. And you won't find it in a book either, though there is one, that describes it halfway.

If you try what you discussed above, you will at the very least lose consciousness. Possibly you'll crush your trachea, which could lead to a relatively fast death. You could also have your neck broken. It would happen so fast that your helpers wouldn't be aware that you had a problem.

But you'd be unconscious while you died, so you wouldn't have time to say to yourself "I guess I should've listened".
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Yeah, I seen that in an Al Mann book before and I don't think I'd do that one.... I do know how to slam nails into boards though... I don't think bending steel bars would be too bad. I pretty much just want to do the fake stuff...and some real things that are not so dangerous...I'm just trying to find out from you what's not so bad to do...Like the slamming nails into boards, ripping phonebooks....thanks guys

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Shock, Geek, Sideshow magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL