The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of Young Magicians! » » Hello (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Hi does anyone know where I can get some info on this club it sounds good for a junior club.
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
Check out there official website Here!

It is a good and growing association.

J.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I am the co-leader of the Philadelphia S.Y.M. group for over 12 years now and I am actively involved with the SYM activities at the National convention held each year. the SYM is an absolute wonderful organization for magicians to get involved with. You learn from the adults and also from your peers in a fun and controlled environment.

It is simply one of the best ways to really grow your magic in a positive way and get feedback and learn through the process. The link posted above should get you started with some information and you will also be able to search to see if there is an SYM assembly near to whwre you already live.

if you have any questions about the SYM. Please just let me know as I would be happy to help out in any way that I can.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Thanks for your help guys. there isn't an assembly near me though so I don't see any point in joining thanks alot.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
However, if there is interest enough in your area for learning magic, then you can always learn about starting up an assembly near you. It can be done and is a great way to learn and grow your magic. Just something to think about.

You can also join as a national SYM member even if you do nbot belong to an assembly. This way you still get the benefits ofbeing a member and the cheaper rates at the national convention as well as receiving the SYMbol newsletter each month.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Can I go to SAM meetings as a SYM member? There is a local SAM assembly in town, but not a SYM. I would love to join.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Quote:
On 2006-05-29 20:32, magicman226 wrote:
Can I go to SAM meetings as a SYM member? There is a local SAM assembly in town, but not a SYM. I would love to join.

It may be up to your assembly to allow S.Y.M. members to attend S.A.M. meetings.
My assembly allows S.Y.M.'s if accompanied by an S.A.M. member.
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Dear Magicman

Contact Don Moravits, he is our National Deputy for the San Antonio Area, is a member and Past President of the San Antonio SAM Assembly, and a good guy. His email is dmoravits@swri.org Since every assembly is different, he may be able to tell you more about the San Antonio assembly and their requirements for attendance. The more requests they get, the more they will also think about starting an SYM in San Antonio. But in the interim, he may have some suggestions. He was also TAOM President last year. So, Don would be the guy to get answers from.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Oh yea, I know Don. I'll email him.

Thanks
Michael
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Our assembly allows SYM members to come to the SAM meetings as long as the parents are members of the SAM. It is definitely something to look into. Also, try contacting your local SAM and find out if they plan on developing a SYM? It may be that they are just looking to find enough interest.

Our SYM meetings have at least 25 members per month in attendance, which I believe is a great turn-out. Especially considering not all the kids can come to each meeting because of school obligations. You see some of the same faces at EVERY meeting, but then a rotation of other members that come as they can. On average however, you can always count on at least 25 members showing up.

Again, it could just be that your local SAM needs enough SYM members to form a group. Try talking to your friends also to see if you can generate more interest so that your local SAM has something to work with!

Let us know how it goes and GOOD LUCK!
magicleo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicleo
Is there anything special you have to do to join the SYM?
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Here is a usefull link that will answer most of your questions and show you around. http://www.magicsam.com/sym/jointhesym.html

But if you have any questions beyond that, feel free to ask any of us. We will be glad to answer them, and get you started in the right direction.

As far as your question, is there anything special that you need to do? The most imortant one is that you have a serious interest in magic. That is where it all begins, after that, let the fun begin.
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Not only is S.A.M. and S.Y.M. a great place to foster your talents, but most importantly, you will meet some great mentors that truly want to see you succeed!

Our daughter, a S.Y.M.er, has been hired by a neighboring City to perform at their 4th of July event because our local S.A.M. President recommended her to the City. There will also be magicians from our S.A.M. ring attending to watch her performance and support her first debut. This is what belonging to the Society really means to me...the support and unity that develops. It is amazing!

She has also been asked by our S.A.M. ring to perform at their annual public show they put on every year to support the club and showcase the club's talent to the public. That will be later in a couple of months.

The experience you gain working side-by-side with adult/professional magicians is invaluable! If you have a true desire to learn the art of magic, it is almost essential.

She has had the pleasure of meeting magicians such as Daryl, Jeff Ezell, John Carney, Dana Daniels, Bob Sheets (very briefly), Gerry Griffin, and not to mention all of our wonderful local talent that are beyond awesome!

I urge you to follow up and see what you can do to develop a SYM ring in your community. It may be a lot of work to start, but the benefits will be truly worth it! Especially, if you are able to attend lectures or performances by any of the magicians above (or more)!

You will definitely learn to respect the art of magic, and the performers, at a whole new level! I can not say enough good things about our local talent and magicians. They are the heart of magic for us!

Good luck!
magicleo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicleo
All right. I emailed Jann goodsell, and we both happen to live in Utah, where there is no establishment. Jann and I are going to meet (and my parents, of course) after the convention-thing she has.
Thanks for all your help!
Greg
I also performed today on the 4th of Julty, and got a "Good Luck" from Shawn Farquhar. That rocks.
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Congratulations and good for you! I'm glad that you are networking. It is so important. Please keep us posted on how things go for you. I know I for one loved to hear success stories!
magicleo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicleo
All right. I hope everything goes well. I'll keep you posted as things come!
TheNewHoudini
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of TheNewHoudini
What is SYM and SAM?
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
The SYM is the Society of Young Magicians and the SAM is the Society of American Magicians. You can get information from the groups by visiting http://www.magicsam.com and following the links on the left hand navigation bar to get to the SYM site. If you have further questions about SYM contact Jann W Goodsell, the SYM Director who does a great job with the youth members.

Maria Ibanez
President-Elect
Society of American Magicians
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Maria, congrats and kudos on your highly deserved award (In The Company Of Women Award).
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Thank you so much for your kind comments. It is a high honor to receive the award, especially when I heard who some past recipients were.

Maria
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of Young Magicians! » » Hello (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL