The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Help on developing fashion sense (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Hello

I would really like to know how to develop a keen seen of fashion besides reading GQ magazine. Can anyone tell me how to develop this sense?

Thanks.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Silly boy men don't have any sence of fashion, it isn't in our genes. The only one way to look like you know what you are doing is to ASK A WOMAN. My wife buys all of my clothes, and picks out my outfit for every show. I am always getting compliments from other women, because they can see in me my wife's flair for fashion.
THANK YOU BONNIE
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It depends on the image you want people to see.
Hip Hop? Gothic? Conservative? Casual? Sporty?
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
My character is a thief/assasin with magic powers. Trying to go for a casual look but with some air of mystery.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Ahhh! A bit of AD&D thrown into the array.
Casual?
Dark shirt and dark cargo pants.
Chain belt & Belt pouch.
Mystical medallion or amulet on a neck chain.
Duster coat for cool weather.
Fingerless leather gloves (optional).

Hehehh
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Anime, watch lots and lots and lots of anime. Most audiences are going to have a little trouble "getting" your character in all but a few settings.
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 12:23, JackScratch wrote:
Anime, watch lots and lots and lots of anime. Most audiences are going to have a little trouble "getting" your character in all but a few settings.

Do you mean they will find it hard to get the character upon the first impression?
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I mean that unless you are at a themed event, the character will not fit or relate to their daily lives. As such, they will be a bit confused. People, in general, have trouble realting to things that a far from their daily licves. The farther the concept is, the less the have encountered the concept before, the less that will relate to it. Most people don't encounter a lot of Assasin/Thieves in their daily lives, as such, they will have trouble relating. Now I'm guessing there is more to your concept, and that you may have methods that will facilitate that relation. However, it is still something that should be considered.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Limhanchung
On your first post you just wanted to know how to match a shirt and tie. Now you want to look like a cartoon animated action figure. At this point I would strongly recomend you to stop smoking that loco weed, and come in for a landing before you hurt yourself.
my thief/assasin friend
Al Angello
Jachli
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville, Fl
2 Posts

Profile of Jachli
We are going to stop reality for a moment and pretend I wanted to be an assassin/thief. My vote would go to mostly black with some metal. Personally I would have a duster or trenchcoat(leather is my material of choice but expensive...). Also I agree with the medallion necklace and there is a place that makes them that I believe is called Mystical Medals. It is based out of Florida and does mail order. If you are interested, PM me and I will actually take the time to look for the paper that has contact info. They cast in Bronze, Silver, Gold-Plated, and Pure Gold. Love their craftmanship and they have a stand at Universal Studios, Island of Adventure. Enough about that though, as one might think I'm advertising for the buisness. (By the way I am trying not to...)
By the way, why are you pretending to be a thief/assassin/magician?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jachli
Welcome to the magic Café, you will fit in well around here, and I must have lost my head, if we are going to put reality totally aside your choices in costume are exactly the same as I would have selected.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Quote:
On 2006-05-30 20:15, Jachli wrote:
We are going to stop reality for a moment and pretend I wanted to be an assassin/thief. My vote would go to mostly black with some metal. Personally I would have a duster or trenchcoat(leather is my material of choice but expensive...). Also I agree with the medallion necklace and there is a place that makes them that I believe is called Mystical Medals. It is based out of Florida and does mail order. If you are interested, PM me and I will actually take the time to look for the paper that has contact info. They cast in Bronze, Silver, Gold-Plated, and Pure Gold. Love their craftmanship and they have a stand at Universal Studios, Island of Adventure. Enough about that though, as one might think I'm advertising for the buisness. (By the way I am trying not to...)
By the way, why are you pretending to be a thief/assassin/magician?

This is because my act will be based on me producing knifes and trying to steal items magically. The assasin part might not be potrayed as strongly because this is a solo manipulation act.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2006-05-28 05:19, limhanchung wrote:
Hello

I would really like to know how to develop a keen seen of fashion besides reading GQ magazine. Can anyone tell me how to develop this sense?

Thanks.

Hi there,

You're not trying to develop a sense of fashion here: you're trying to figure out how to create a theatrical costume. They are two totally different things.

If you want to create this assassin character, do what theatrical designers do and watch TV and movies with these characters in them. Find some books and magazines on theater and the movies and study what the characters wear. Get a few books on the history of costume and fashion and study the silhouettes and the details and the colors. As you develop your character -- and understand who he is -- you'll begin to get a sense of what type of "look" is appropriate for him in your part of the world.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
As a writer/producer, which is what you are, you have to consider two very important things. The desired effect, and how the audience will relate to it. If you create a character, particularly an extreme one, that charatcer is going to need a lot of support. The more convaluted your story, the less your audience will be able to apreciate it.

Things will come up. Why are you, the assasin thief, at this particular event? Why are you allowing your audience to know that you are an assasin/thief, when normaly this information would be kept secret? Are you a modern assasin/theif or are you some historical/fantasy/futuristic assasin thief? If you aren't a modern one, have you considered how to bring the audience, effectively into your world, or is there some way that you have wound up in theirs?

You see, there is a lot to be considered here, and you have provided precious few details with your request for assistance. Perhaps if you began at the begining, leaving nothing out.
bentley
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of bentley
I buy from American Eagle, Buckle, Aeropostal, and SOMETIMES Abrecrombie. For SHOWS I wear the typical stage magician clothes. black shirt and pants.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Help on developing fashion sense (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL