The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Close up Before/After the show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

roi_tau
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
333 Posts

Profile of roi_tau
Hi Guys.

I know some of you do both close up and stage show(like for cooparete events )

My question is:

What do you prefer to do first-the close up and get people to know you or the stage act and then the close up work.

I think that close up work after the show is much more powerfull.

What do you think?

Have fun
ROi
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
There are advantages to doing it before the show too.

You can figure out who are good people to take on stage, who is wearing good watches for a watch steal, etc.

You can also establish rapport with the audience so they will be excited about your stage show.

I think for these reasons I like to do it before the stage show.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Roi,

To me it depends on the event. The stage show is typically the main thing and where the money is. The close-up is something that I just toss in to sweeten the deal. Therefore, given a choice, the stage show comes first. The close-up is just to insure that you get called back for next time. Especially for coorporate events, the company will pay much more to entertain prospective customers than employees. Turnover of company employees at the top is pretty high today. Customer base is pretty stable. Being recognized by the talent buyer's customers is my priority. (That is called "pull marketing" versus "push marketing".)

The close-up stuff is seldom as well scheduled, attended, or respected by the event planners. Remember what got you the gig! Use their priorities!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I do it a bit differently as I often am working mainly festivals and fairs with my wife. In this capacity and market, I handle doing strolling and the stage shows in one of 2 ways.

1) I will do 1 30 minutes show and then afterwards I will do strolling magic on the festival grounds leading up to the second stage show I will be doing that day.

2) Or if I am only doing one large 1 hour show, I will always do the stage show first, and then do the strolling magic afterwards.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
roi_tau
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
333 Posts

Profile of roi_tau
Thanks you all guys.

There is more than one truth(Even for me.)

But I guess that sometime its better to do strolling around BEFORE the show.

Thanks again
ROi
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I've always done close-up first. Nearly all the events I do both close-up and stage are banquets. I do the close-up during the social hour and then the stage show after dinner.

I find that the reception to the stage show is better if I do close-up first. They get to know me that way and that makes the stage show seem less impersonal.

Michael
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I like doing close-up prior to my stage show for the same reasons aussiemagic and Michael mentioned. Usually this is during cocktails, prior to the dinner, and I only do this if the client pays for it. I up-sell the strolling for an additional $500 if they have the budget.
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
I disagree I always do the close up after the show as that is the way it is done in England.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1297 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I do what ever the client wants. At a Bar/Bat Mitzvah, close-up first always.
At a private or corporate party it is mostly close-up second.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess I am strange. I stick to one or the other usually.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Close up Before/After the show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL