The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Gags within a story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Hi - I'm doing some comparing soon and would like to do a little sketch which involves a mock story about a long lost uncle (who taught me my first magic trick) and within this story I need some short gags to keep it rolling -
you know the stuff:
I never forget what he used to say to me - "there are 3 types of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't"
or
I ran to his house, knocked 3 times and my uncle answered the door in his pyjamas - and I thought; what a funny place to put a door!

ok - if you have any gems that you'd like to share let me thank you in advance

chris
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
"My uncle has a cedar chest."
"Really? My uncle has a wooden leg."

The family that sticks together should bathe more often.

Success is a relative term - It brings so many relatives!

98% of the time I am right. Why worry about the other 3%

If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll do it for you.

My Wife Says I Never Listen, Or Something Like That...
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Any more?
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I knew a guy who spilled a can of Raid in his lap. His fly died.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
"If my mother knew I was a magician, she'd kill me! She thinks I sell dope...

If you're thirsty, why not go to the well:

http://funny2.com/henny.htm
JOHNSHEIBAL
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of JOHNSHEIBAL
"Why do they call them apartments, when they're together? - Why do you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway? - etc...
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
If you're in England, I'd suggest you listen to "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again" on BBC 7 - not to steal their jokes, but because the style of humour would fit in tremendously well with the sort of material you are proposing. I find that listening to / reading as much comedy as possible helps me when I try to work out stuff for my own routine. But, please, don't fall back on jokes you've heard from other comedians- try and write your own material; you may fall flat on your back, but, at least you'd fallen haven tried to make your own mark- there's nothing worse than listening to a comedian / any entertainer tell a joke which you know has come from someone else.

(Sure, it raises issues of "who created it first" and "well, they might have come up with it independently", but, as a case in point, I listened to a comedian a couple of months back, and it sounded, in my opinion, as if he had seen a Jimmy Carr show on TV and borrowed a few lines - the gags (content, structure, timing) were almost identical, and just made me wonder for the rest of his routine whether he was making me laugh, or he was using other people's material to make me laugh.)
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Why, as magicians, are we content in doing "hack" material? Why not write some jokes of your own instead of asking for a collection of jokes that have been told by 2,000 mouths before your own?
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Always remember if you are using canned material , you will sound that way to the audience
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12001 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2006-06-11 22:28, MichaelKent wrote:
Why, as magicians, are we content in doing "hack" material? Why not write some jokes of your own instead of asking for a collection of jokes that have been told by 2,000 mouths before your own?

... OK, then what are some of yours? heh,heh

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Hahaha. good one john!

mine are stolen out of joke books and email forwards.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Michael kent - do you perform your own orginal magical effects or do you make them up your self?
entertainers are judged on how they perform the material not whether or not the material has been performed already.

magicians perform many a trick that other magicians have performed already - dancers perform many standard dance steps that the audience may well have already seen before - but its not what you do its the was that you do it.

so - lets remember what I originally asked for - have you got any lines?
lets remember what I didn't ask for - the same old "why don't you come up with your own material" debate.
maybe start another thread in the 'who gives a toss' forum about perfromers and their original material.

all the best
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 17:51, trickychris wrote:
entertainers are judged on how they perform the material not whether or not the material has been performed already.

ok then, go into a comedy club and perform Eddie Izzards set. See how you get treated. We should hold the same standards in magic. That's all I'm saying.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Eddie izzard is a one off - and not everybody's cup of tea - although he is one of my fav. comedians. no one could perform his material. the same could be applied to tommy cooper and other individulists.
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
Quote:
so - lets remember what I originally asked for - have you got any lines?
lets remember what I didn't ask for - the same old "why don't you come up with your own material" debate.
maybe start another thread in the 'who gives a toss' forum about perfromers and their original material.

Let's also remember that some of the best advice doesn't seem to directly answer one's questions, but actually turns out to be better.

A trick is a way of accomplishing an effect; the routine and the presentation are what makes it magic. Otherwise, you be seen shoving a silk into a t***b t*p, putting it onto your t***b and then accouncing it has disappeared- no magic. Dress it up, and you have magic. As such, if anything, having your own presentation is more important than avoiding the use of "stock" props, in my opinion.

Quote:
Eddie izzard is a one off - and not everybody's cup of tea - although he is one of my fav. comedians. no one could perform his material.

Agreed- and no-one should. If he's spent the time developing his act, why should someone take his material because they don't want to spend the time, energy and research in writing their own? Copyright issues aside, why would you want to use someone else's material? You're being paid to entertain, not to copy someone else's entertainment.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Anyway - get off this thread and add lines if you have them.
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Here's an original of mine you may use. My Uncle was a quarter Irish, quarter Sweedish, and a fifth Scotch on weekends.... Always get a good laugh. ( in my show I use Grandpa)
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
Quote:
Anyway - get off this thread and add lines if you have them.

Thanks, but, I'll stick around- after all, someone may read the advice given in this thread, and come up with some brilliant new material with which to entertain us in future. "Your" jokes will take some thinking and some polishing, but, that's no different to your magic. As Barbara Castle MP once said: "Think, think, think. It will hurt like hell at first, but you'll get used to it".

If you're dead set on cribbing someone else's material, why not just go through some joke books, or look at the many hundreds of websites containing jokes?
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
"Thanks, but, I'll stick around- after all, someone may read the advice given in this thread, and come up with some brilliant new material with which to entertain us in future"

so your waiting round for some ideas - just like I am...
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
Quote:
so your waiting round for some ideas - just like I am...

Just to ensure that people appreciate the value of creating their own jokes- ideas are one thing, but "jokes on a plate" are a different kettle of fish, in my book Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Gags within a story (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL