The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Gags within a story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
Just to add- I don't mean to come across as a spoil-sport or jerk in my comments; it's just a simple belief that it is better to learn how to write your own material, and to balance the relationship between your characterisation, routines, physical and verbal humour in order to create the most entertaining act, than to "lift" lines or other forms of humour and try and essentially force someone else's square peg into the round hole of your act.

Without meaning to sound rude, perhaps if you need to "borrow" lines, you just aren't cut out to be a comedian? To my mind, the fundamental requirement of a comedian is to be funny, and to make people laugh; if you don't make people laugh, then, is comedy the right genre for you?

One of the problems with using other people's lines is that the gag needs to fit both your personality and style, as well as your timing- what is funny in the hands of one person, may be completely dead in the hands of another. One of the benefits of writing your own material is that you create things which fit your style, and which work for you; if you were to appear on stage, doing your compering piece, and launched into a string of one-liners which, whilst potentially funny, just didn't suit you and your timing, there's a risk that you'll sound all wrong, and you'll get no reaction whatsoever, which is demoralising at best.

By all means cheat and work on your "ad libs" before the event (more a case of linking the right joke with the right situation than having to come up with something on the spot), but, in terms of practicalities, you're more likely to get a better response with your own material than by repeating ad verbatim the jokes of others, in my opinion.

I hope that this helps, and doesn't come across as pretentious nonsense Smile
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
My Uncle's from Arkansas... who here is from arkansas? So I got a question for you... if a man and a woman get married in arkansas and they move to california, are they still brother and sister?
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
"I hope that this helps, and doesn't come across as pretentious nonsense"
....ahh, the irony.
go and bore someone else
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
Quote:
....ahh, the irony.
go and bore someone else

If it's a clichéd "put-down" you wanted, "See the door over there- would you mind shutting it on your way out?" would have been much better, in my opinion.

Quote:
I'm doing some comparing soon

Have you done it yet? How did it go? What did you compare? Apples and oranges?
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4619 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
You can relate thousands of jokes to an uncle theme, just go ahead and search for "uncle jokes" on Google. How about "my uncle always wanted to be a doctor....but he never had the patience".
Some performers are great at acting, others at performing magic. Some can sing, some can write great scripts......etc. We should all be thankful for the abilities we have and realise that we're all different. If one performer is making a living using old gags, good luck to him. "The old stuff is the best" seems to be a cry I hear only too often, so I would never criticise someone for using old (or even "classic") material.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
If it's a clichéd "put-down" you wanted, "See the door over there- would you mind shutting it on your way out?" would have been much better, in my opinion.

no - I wasn't looking for a put down...you muppet.

Quote:
I'm doing some comparing soon

Have you done it yet? How did it go? What did you compare? Apples and oranges?
[/quote]
any chance you could write me some more of your exellent put downs neil? that's a corker - apples and oranges!! . very strong material neil...muppet
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
Quote:
any chance you could write me some more of your exellent put downs neil? that's a corker - apples and oranges!! . very strong material neil...muppet

lol - I didn't realise you'd stoop as low as name-calling, but, hey, I can assure you that, no matter what you say, you aren't go to offend or upset me Smile
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
Chris- I've just read over this thread, and can see that it's going no-where. I suggest that we accept that we have different viewpoints and shake hands?
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
It went no where because of your desire to jump on the "do your own material" bandwagon - I see no point in you adding to a thread to raise a different point. like I said way eariler in the thread - why don't you start another topic regarding performers and their material?
and not get in the way of other threads...
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
I posted what I posted because I felt it would actually be helpful to you, and of relevance to yourself and others reading this thread. If I'd posted into a car forum asking where best to buy a new engine, and someone attempted to show me a way of fixing it yourself, I would be grateful for that advice; not only would it solve my problem short-term, but it would also benefit me in the long run. However, you clearly disagree, which is your prerogative.

If I really can't persuade you to brainstorm some jokes, post the frame of your story so far, and I'll see if I can contribute anything to help you fill in gaps etc - I can't promise anything, but I'm happy to give it some thought for you, should you wish? For example, how does your story hang together? Do you have any link material?
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4619 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
If I wanted a new engine for my car, I'd just laugh my head off if someone suggested I made one myself (or fixed it myself, I want a new one, right?). The vast majority of kids' entertainers use stock jokes. "You're five - wow, I was five when I was your age!" Nearly all comedians crib jokes at some point. My method for scriptwriting is to keep a joke file (as nearly all comedians do). When I need to write a new script, the first thing I'll do is to go through my jokes, and find ones that are "appropriate" for my act. Then I can alter those jokes, often as simple as taking it grammatically from the "second person" to "first person singular". The thread of the story weaves itself around the effect I'm creating, and the jokes I have. It's like cooking, and at the end, even though similar content might have been used thousands of times before, this is now a new and therefore original presentation.
Those who have God-given joke-writing abilities could probably make a much better living as scriptwriters than bothering about performing. And I'd expect such folks to be able to deliver a truckload of appropriate uncle jokes, for instance. Instead of just chiming in how great it is to write original jokes, read everyone else's contributions, and not include any jokes themselves.

Did you hear about the cannibal spider that ate his uncle's wife?
He was an aunt-eater.

My uncle spent a fortune on deodorants before he found out that people didn't like him anyway.

My uncle's got a wooden leg.
That's nothing.
My auntie has a wooden chest.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Gags within a story (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL