The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Shattered or Smash & Stab (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I read the review of Shattered in this section. Sounds great. Can anyone compare it to Smash & Stab? As far as use, audience reaction, danger...The cost is pretty close so that's not an issue.
Thanks.
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
There is no danger at all with shattered. Is it still available though as I thought it had been discontinued. I'm sorry I can't compare it to Smash and Stab as I don't own that one.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Addy:

I will say the danger is real with Smash and Stab; if you're not paying attention, you can real hurt your hand. Everything is examinable - what you see is everything involved. It's very simple, but very clever.

Ron
Corporate Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Corporate Magician
Ethan

Shattered is still available from http://www.hocus-pocus.com

Regards

EC
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
The method for Smach and Stab is (to me) very obvious. I mean it is exactly what you think it is. My fear is that audiences also would easily guess the method. Additionally you could seriously injure yourself. This is not to say it is not a good effect, it certainluy can be, but you need to be aware of what this is and the possible risks.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Thanks for the advice. I'm vell versed in danger, I swallow swords and walk on glass. I perform the sideshow acts, but I do like to change it up a bit with some magic. I'll pick up Shattered. Seems to be the better of the two.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Well, now that I know what kind of act you do you may actuially prefer Smash and Stab. I mean I think it can be a very strong effect but there is no real super secret method to it and there is a real danger (I mean if you accidently smash the wrong cup you WILL harm yourself). But that said I think Smash and Stab carries a bit more impact precisely because it is in essence real and fully examinable... if you are willing to risk it and perform it in a situation in which you can perform it well S&S may be the stronger one for you.
emptycupmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of emptycupmagic
If your performing environment is the stage, definitely go with Shattered.
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
I had bought Shattered, have been using it a lot but I still can't solve some quite serious problems. How could I possibly contact Scott? I would like to ask for some suggestions.
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
To be honest, Im just not that impressed with Shattered. You have to really be careful how you handle the props. And up close it just doesn't look real enough to me.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2006-06-01 16:32, cardfreakhk wrote:
I had bought Shattered, have been using it a lot but I still can't solve some quite serious problems. How could I possibly contact Scott? I would like to ask for some suggestions.

He's a member here at the Café.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Yikes! I think I'm back to square 1. I'm going to get down to Fantasma at some point hopefully next week. They carry S&S. I'll look at it a bit closer. I think I know how Shattered is set up. If it's what I think, then S&S might play out better for me. Though I do perform stage mostly, but small rooms.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Addy;

It is really this simple.... if you can accept the actual danger involved with S&S then it is the superior effect. Shattered is not realistic in a close up setting and the props are NOT examinable. The entire concept of a broken bottle is not as scary as a giant steel spike either. The only advantage of Shattered is that it is 100% safe, that is why I thought it might be better for you at first. Now that I understand your type of act you are probably better off with S&S, just be careful with it.
Corporate Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Corporate Magician
Cardfreakhk

You can contact Scott Alexander through his website at the following address.

http://www.scottalexandermagic.com/

Regards

EC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Shattered or Smash & Stab (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL