The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Will they take me seriously (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
I'm hoping in a few years to start performming bigger show sin bigger areas.But the problem is I don't know if they would take me seriously.I think they would use one of these three replies.

A-stupid kid your young.

B-ok but well only pay you 30 bucks

C-nope
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
A couple of questions..how old are you? What do you do? What's your market? How long have you been doing magic? What venues do you want to do?

You need to "pay your dues" as they say. You start with small venues and prove yourself, and as your reputation grows, doors will open to bigger and better venues.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Hey buddy,

I started performing very young and at age 15/16 I got my first (non family/friends) paying job at an arts festival. I can recall my excitement and the way it happen.. I was at a print shop picking up my first set of business cards, while Nancy was in there picking hers up as well, and she asked me if I was any good and I stated "OHH I am the best of course" with a chuckle.... She gave me her card and I met with the board and showed them a few tricks and walla I was performing for $50 per hour for 4 hours.... ....

The key is to show excitment, love and dedication to your art to the future client... This will reflect to them and they will help you pave your way....

Really get busienss cards, people take you serousely when you do at young age. Now, less then ten years later, I am performing all around the world and enjoying my skill and life... Check out my site http://www.MagicofCurtis.com

My best free advise for you on this subject would be:
Treat this as a business..................

Cheers
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
You need to turn it around and make them feel that the young part is better!
younger have more energy
younger people in the crowd will be able to relate to me better etc.

pick up some marketing books and do some reading!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
No, they won't take you seriously if you think like that. Instead of looking at your age as something that hinders you, look at it as something that helps you. If you have a great show and attitude, your age won't come in the way. If all you think about is, I'm too young to do a show for them, then you won't get it.

You're thinking too far into the future. Worry about getting a show together and making it perfect. Your reputation will get better and your show will too as you practice and perform.

-Tyler
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Magicguy67:

I'm assuming you're in your teenage years. That is a hurdle you will have to overcome because the sad truth is many teenagers are unreliable and choose not to do quality work. Or, they have negative attitudes. And, many people will automatically judge you as being one of them. But, you don't have to be that way - you can show potential bookers that you're not a "typical" teenager.

It is something you will have to overcome, though. I like the advice Tyler has just given.

I hope this helps you, Magicguy67. Good luck.

Ron Reid
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
I'm 13 and I do about two shows a month.I do a combination of magic and juggling.The market I hope to hit is the stage market no trades shows shows on a stage,maybe in a thetere,ect.Hope this helps.

Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
If you want to talk to someone who is your age and starting to do stage shows, talk to magicaloddysey. He can let you know what he has done. Some work he has done has been for fall fairs and even a racetrack (horses). I did my first fall fair at age 21 or so. So he is way ahead of me when I was his age.
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Age doesn't matter, your work matters... if you believe in your work, insist... You should be the first believing yourself... Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok lets stop with age dosn't matter. IT DOES.

sorry guys it is the world we live in.

I am not saying it is bad, but I am saying it is a good thing. He will grow out of it. Just don't be discouraged.

Lets face it. At 13 just how much experience DO you have? It is a harsh reality but trust me it is. Even if it is 13 big deal. Most of us out here are over 20 years pro on a stage. At 13 you are NOT percieved as a professional, no matter what you do or don't do.

So now that the reality check is over lets figure a way to deal with it for you. Take the jobs offered. Suprise them with how great you are. Make them regret not hiring you because you were a kid.

So lets prepare you for the "stage" as you want it. Ok did you ever take drama lessons? Dance lessons? Do you have any idea how to project your voice? How to use a michrophone? Learn these things. Take classes that will help you with these things. Join plays. Learn to act. After all magic is a performance art why not learn how to perform.

Do you want to do comedy? Take some comedy courses.

So what can you do about being a kid? NOTHING. Plain and simple you will grow out of it. BUT you can spend the time growing as a performer if you are smart. OR you can spend the time that most do and grow bitter. That will not help you in the least. It is your choice.

Grow as a performer, and when the time comes that you are ready and are taken seriously, then you will be far more ready than anyone expects.

Good luck.

By the way I am being harsh so you get the point. Not to be mean. Being nice and saying everything is ok and all will be fine saves feelings up front, but dosn't really help anyone in my opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
Thnaks guys and yes ive done a few plays and learned the warmup.I do want to usew some comedy in my show,maybe a few gags.Im not excactly sure on the mic yet though.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There ya go. Show up do a show and not be sure how to use the mic. corectly.

NOT a professional thing in the least.

Like I said not a bad thing, just trying to show you that possibly you may not be as far along at this point as it seems at first glance.

It is FANTASTIC you are able to look at yourself and realize this.

So like I said, learn learn learn and keep learning. By the time you are old enough to be taken seriously, then maybe you will have an act and an aura about you that deservs the same. This is the way it is done. No short cuts, no easy answers and no quick fixes like most things in life. Time and hard work is all it takes. You have a lot of the first, lets hope you follow through with the second.

Best of luck to you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ThePartyMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
216 Posts

Profile of ThePartyMagician
Read Robert Ringer's book "To be or not to be intimidated", it's got some relevant advice for you.

Best regards
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Will they take me seriously (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL