The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove to Confetti (The inventor)? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magic mike
View Profile
New user
Michael M.
88 Posts

Profile of magic mike
Dave you are correct again, Cantu was before Pollock in working with doves, but did not wear the traditional white tie and tails that Channing wore. Cantu's loads, from what I understand, were mostly concealed in or behind the Serape which is part of the Mexican costume he wore. Some loads were also hidden behind props such as a chair. BTW, has anyone out there ever seen Cantu perform, either in person or on film, if so could you breifly describe his act.
Channing Pollack is my idea of the perfect magician. For those of you that have not seen him perform, I recommend trying to get hold of a video of an old movie called "European Nights" made about 1959.
I was able to buy this video from Stevens Magic
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
On one of Franz Harary's latest TV series specials called MAGIC PLANET you can see a clip of another young dove worker from Korea -no it's not UnGoel Lee (spe?)- but this young performer does the dove to confetti. I did a similar effect for awhile back in like 1997 and 1998 and competed at IBM and performed it at abbott's the first year I performed there. Pretty much just did the same thing dove to a confetti load ala tail dump. Then reached into the confette and plucked one of them out of the air, lit it (flash paper) and it turned into a silk which lead to the next sequence.

Its just really messy, as with any other confetti type thing.

I also have a video of a performer doing the dove vanish with a finger flash shooter thing. I'm not sure exactly what they're called but its the one that actually shoots a ball of flash paper out of your hand. So this guy basically does a tail vanish dove to flash of fire thing with one of those gimmicks. It looked like the exact same one I think is made by Lematrix because he missed the ditch and it fell on the floor and the camera guy followed it and I got a pretty good look at it.
DANSPERRY.COM
thelestat
View Profile
New user
Vegas
48 Posts

Profile of thelestat
Dove to Confetti was done by Carl Germain and is in his book he had a different technique and pocket than Channing....Smile

Quote:
On 2006-06-05 21:26, sperris wrote:

I also have a video of a performer doing the dove vanish with a finger flash shooter thing.

Dirk Athur from his pigeon act which he bought from Kenny Whittiker (Impalement creator) Keeny Did this eons ago....
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
James, you are correct that Karl Germain did the dove from Confetti however it was a much different appearance as it was a variation of the silks and soup plates not a barehanded. method.

As we all know there is nothing really new under the sun, one just has to dig deep enough to find someone else who did it before. But I do applaud Joe in trying to take the high road. It is far to easy to copy a style of presentation that to develop your own.

James you have your own style and I have watched it refine over the years since the early days at Abbott's.

Hope all is well.
BTW, congradulations on your marriage.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
The first time I saw Dove To Confetti in print is the "Ultimate Snowstorm" packet, its a fan plus some directions and snowstorm.

Hollywood Magic sells them, call them up it should have the copyright date.

G0thike
luchen
View Profile
New user
Taiwan
17 Posts

Profile of luchen
When I made the dove act in 1996,I wanted to do "doves to MANY white spring flowers" effect.
But I couldn`t find that many white spring flowers,so I used confetti to replace flowers after I saw Juliana Chen`s act.
But in fact,I don`t really think it`s a good effect,because it looks like dove "explosed"...
thelestat
View Profile
New user
Vegas
48 Posts

Profile of thelestat
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 21:45, hugmagic wrote:
James you have your own style and I have watched it refine over the years since the early days at Abbott's.
Hope all is well.
BTW, congradulations on your marriage.
Richard

Thanks for the kind words. DIMMARE
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2006-11-05 14:20, luchen wrote:
When I made the dove act in 1996,I wanted to do "doves to MANY white spring flowers" effect.
But I couldn`t find that many white spring flowers,so I used confetti to replace flowers after I saw Juliana Chen`s act.
But in fact,I don`t really think it`s a good effect,because it looks like dove "explosed"...

Now that you have more experience with the effect, try it with a small bouquet of white silk flowers from a Dollar Store or Craft Store, rather than spring flowers. They can compress quite nicely and spring fully open, looking much more realistic than spring flowers. You might have to glue on the flower heads, but other than that, there are few drawbacks.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove to Confetti (The inventor)? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL