The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Real Street Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lithix
View Profile
Regular user
Tempe, AZ
168 Posts

Profile of Lithix
I'm interested in putting together a profitable and/or fun street show. And maybe use it to get gigs at parties or restaurants. I'm not planning on going out tomorrow, but I *would* like to have some general guidlines in my head while I'm "in training".

Unfortunately, I'm still oblivious to what everyone else considers REAL street magic. Everyone shuns Blaine as a street magician, but I still haven't figured out what I *should* be doing instead.

So - the questions...
What is real street magic?
What tricks should I learn if I am interested in becoming a profesional entertainer?

Maybe you could recommend some essential videos/books... that I could look for used Smile
Shorty
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
80 Posts

Profile of Shorty
Yes they are books, the best of all are,
"The Royal Touch" from Jim Cellini! He has also DVD and Tapes, but they are on earlier lines. So take a look on the other lines.

Greetings,
Shorty Smile
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Also a nice book by David Groves, I think his name is, about street magic. He's a regular in Santa Monica I used to watch.

And Whit Hadyn just put out a text about his Street Magic days in NYC in the 70s. Should be great.

But definitely Cellini is the master.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
First let me say that I prize real Street Performers. And I agree that Blaine does not do "real Street perfroming". But you have to decide what works for you, and then do that. If it leans to the Blainesque style, so be it.

Not everyone has the venue, or personality or material for Classic Street performing; warm weather, good traffic, and a place to set up, means to gather a crowd, and way to keep them and their wallets to the end of the show. So doing Classic Street work, may not be practical for everyone.

Decide what you want to accomplish, and then determine the best way to go about it. If you have some things that work for strolling and you have some trafiic areas where you cant really "set up" but you can mingle and be magical, you can go that way with a vairety of close up effects.

But if you want to set up and draw, and perform, then you need some effects that are visible and interesting to draw a crowd, som ethat are big and exciting enough to hold them, and finally one that is powerful and Amazing enough to fill your hat at the end.

Simple things like C & R rope. Even a Card trick or two. CUps and balls, and various othre things that fit your style.

Ask yourself; why would I stop for this? And why woudl I stay for this? And would I pay for this? When you have good answers to those questions, you are ready to go and start learning.

All you usually learn by practicing is what to do. Then, on the Srteet you learn why, when, how, how much, how long, why not, and what else.

The Cellini video/dvd The Art of Stret Performing is definitive work on the subject. It doesnt teach you tricks. It teaches you approaches to get, keep, and propit from a audience. I find many of the points to be applicable to a wider arena than just he street. So it is a good thing to obtain. And Gazzo Unleashed from the School for Scoundrels will give you samples of one quite unique individual in a number of settings, some of which are the Street.

And it would be hard to put many (if any) other names above these two. OK, Whit Hayden certainly does fit up there too, and there may be a few more who stand with them, but none stands above those two when it comes to Street performing. And as long as you are going to learn, learn from the best.

And then you have to just do it! Get someone to tape you if possible. Or get soemone to watch and to gauge the crowd's reaction and your performance (preferably NOT another magician) and critique yourself. Think about what worked, and why it worked. And what didnt, and why not!

Enjoy youself and make magic!

broDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
bro...keep pitchin that video....and remeber there is another coming...oh and by the wway...i'm gonna finsh 2 effect videos by cellini in january!!!!

koz
Lithix
View Profile
Regular user
Tempe, AZ
168 Posts

Profile of Lithix
Does the Cellini vid come in vhs? I've mostly only seen it referred to as the Cellini DVD... and I'm poor...
midnightmjb
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of midnightmjb
I've certainly seen it in stores on VHS. Call up your supplier and I'm sure they will be able to order it for you.

To Lithix, I suggest you go out and watch some street performers... not just magicians, because there are all kinds of great street acts to be seen. Something can always be learned, even if it's what NOT to do. Watch and learn, watch and learn...

Matt (Midnight Magic)
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Lithix,
There are umpteen gazillion books, tapes, etc. out there to tell you what to do and how to do it on the street.
Cellini is, of course, by far the best.
But the real secret is to do it yourself; because nobody can tell you what will work for you.
That's not to dismiss the books and tapes; they can be invaluable in giving tips and warning of pitfalls; but they are not going to make a street performer out of a person who clearly shouldn't be doing it.
As for what to do, take it from a layman's point of view: What would I want to see? What would I stop for? Why should I give money to a total stranger when I never planned to?
And, finally, do street magic because you want to do it, not because it's a way to get other gigs or make a bunch of money (neither will happen!).
It's physically demanding, mentally challenging very hard work.
It's also a lot of fun, if you're good at it.
And the only way you can tell if you're good at it is to go out and do it.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-12-09 21:43, bart wrote:
Also a nice book by David Groves, I think his name is, about street magic. He's a regular in Santa Monica I used to watch.

I disagree about this book. In my opinion, I found A LOT of the information in this book was not very good. And the good parts were pretty much re-hashings of Whit Hayden's notes and Cellini's book.

Best,

Dan-

Quote:
On 2002-12-09 02:03, Lithix wrote:
I'm interested in putting together a profitable and/or fun street show. And maybe use it to get gigs at parties or restaurants. I'm not planning on going out tomorrow, but I *would* like to have some general guidlines in my head while I'm "in training".

Unfortunately, I'm still oblivious to what everyone else considers REAL street magic. Everyone shuns Blaine as a street magician, but I still haven't figured out what I *should* be doing instead.

So - the questions...
What is real street magic?
What tricks should I learn if I am interested in becoming a profesional entertainer?

Maybe you could recommend some essential videos/books... that I could look for used Smile

For the record I'm one of the few buskers who doesn't "shun" Blaine. I think he has decent skills and people find him entertaining. This is A LOT more than I can say for some of the box jumpers I have seen on some of "The Worlds Greatest Magic" specials.

I don't even have a problem with Blaine calling his special "Street Magic" he did tricks for real people on the street. It wasn't a misnomer.

My problem is with the large group of new magicians who think this is real, make money as a busker, "Street Magic". It isn't.

It can be done this way, but it isn't done this way very often as it is not as profitable as doing a "show".

I don't think David Blaine would call what he does "Street Magic" in that context. he is a walk around magician much like you would see in an restaurant, a private party, or in a hospitality suite. Not surprisingly, his background is in this area.

If this is the type of magic that interests you you might better off looking to restaurant work for the type of show you want to build. For that type of work the thing I would recomend is that you pick up a copy of the bound volumes of Jim Sisti's "Magic Menu". These books have the best people in the field describing tricks, how to get work, business prep, really the whole shooting match.

If "real" street work is what you are after go through all the topics in this forum and you will find most of the questions you have asked talked about in great detail in a lot of the posts.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Hey Koz, you know that I love the video, and watch it time and time again as I continue to mine previously unnoticed nuggets of golden instruction/ideas from it.

As for availablity on VHS, I got mine on VHS at $60 and still still think it was a bargain. So yes, you can find it on VHS. But I am not sure that VHS will be any cheaper than the DVD (unless of course you would have to buy a dvd player)

Just the other evening, I started reworking my new performing jacket to handle the Cellini style "big bad" topit. And I will be performing a two ring routine Saturday based on moves from "guess who?", yep, the Cellini Lord and Master of the Rings video.

Go Koz!!! Keep the Videos coming. You know you will sell at least one of each Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Lithix
View Profile
Regular user
Tempe, AZ
168 Posts

Profile of Lithix
Yeah, I actually don't have a dvd player... or a vcr for that matter, but I have a friend with 2 vcrs... so I'm sure he'd let me use his.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
i have vhs available.....there are like 40 left in the world...and you can buy it either from me or cellini ata lecture...the dvd is availble through most magic shops....the price is $60....vhs or dvd...it costs more to do vhs than it does dvd....can you beleave it...but they charge more for dvds....were all succers!!!!

koz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Real Street Magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL