The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » EGGS! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hello,

My female dove has just laid an egg??! What should I do? I put in a litte plastic tray thing and a towel for it to sit on but its just sitting there, starr(my dove) is paying no attention to it?

Help

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
317 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Do you have just a femle? OR a male aswell?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5122 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Luke, usually if you move the egg, the adult will not have anything to do with it. If you only have the one bird, then you can throw the egg away. It won't be fertile. If you have a male and female, see what happens in a day. If they don't sit on it within a few hours, they won't.
Where the magic begins
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
ARGH! well you see she layed it in the seed bowl so I moved it into a box that I was hoping would be their nest. I do indeed have a male I was hoping for some babies but nevermind I suppose there will be more lol.

Thanks guys,

Your always so forthright with your knowledge, it makes newbies to dove work like me feel safe in the knowledge that someone will know what I am talknig about and can help,

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hi everyone,

She has had another one this morning and they are taking turns to sit on it. Should I be doing anything special? Or shall I just let them do it?

Luke
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Just let them take care of it. Just put another seed bowl in there since they have already chosen the other for a nest. *smile* Good Luck and have fun!
abbascup
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of abbascup
I have an egg today too. The male is sitting on it. I never raised a dove from Birth. Hatch?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5122 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Abba, the male will sit on the egg from aboutr 10AM to 4PM and then the female will take over. It sounds strange but somehow they know how to tell time. You don't have to do anything with the newbie. If it's fertile, it will hatch in about 21 days. The parents will do everything necessary to raise it. It comes natural to them. After about 4 weeks or so, they'll start leaving the baby alone and afte about 6 weeks, it will be entirely on its own. Don't handle the baby until that time.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » EGGS! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL