The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Slydini's Interlude with a Paper Napkin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I've seen it mentioned but only see it listed on several DVDs without explanation.

Can someone describe the performance of this effect from a spectator's point of view?

Thx as always.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
If it's what I remember, he has a small box and a stack of napkins. One at a time he balls up the napkins and places them in the box. After a number of these, he lifts the box to show that all the napkins are now all gone!

If it's something else, then I'll add my request to Mike's.

I think this is on the "As I Recall" DVD produced by our own Kozmo.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5311 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Slydini had a couple of tricks using paper napkins. Neither could be called an “interlude”.

The first is the “Paper Balls over the Head”, but I don’t think you are thinking about that trick. If you are it can be found in “The Best of Slydini…and More” by Karl Fulves and on a Tony Clark DVD.

The second trick is called “The Paper Balls in the Box”. I suspect that is the routine you are interested in.

In it Slydini starts with four paper napkins and a small, plain (unadorned), bottomless, cardboard box. The box starts flat and is opened and shown empty (by looking right through it). Slydini sits the box down to one side of him and takes the first napkin, wads it into a ball and makes it vanish.

He repeats this taking a napkin, wadding it up, and vanishing it until all four napkins have vanished.

Finally he lifts the box and the napkins are seen sitting on the table.

It is also explained in Karl Fulves multivolume “The Best of Slydini…and More”.

If you can get a copy of a video of Slydini performing the trick and then read methodology in the book it will make learning it much easier.

Slydini’s student Tony Clark has put a version out in DVD format. It is “Tony Clark’s Paper Balls and Rings”. Tony has streamlined the moves, added an element using borrowed rings, and even built a kicker ending. His DVD also includes a segment showing Slydini performing the “Paper Balls in the Box”.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
Here's a link to Tony's site and the paperball routine:

http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/storefront......mp;id=47

He's updated it with finger rings, but also has the original routine as Harry pointed out.

BooRadley
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think you're all wrong.

My guess is that the interlude with a paper napkin...
Is the impromptu routine where the performer tears up a paper napkin into bits,
turns it into a flower, rolls it up into a ball, tosses it on the table,
gives it a gentle blow, opens it up and it's back in one piece, and handed
to the spectator?

If so, it is a beautiful routine, and done expertly on the "As I recall..."
DVD. A DVD which we all should own and watch a billion times.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
I think Frank is right. I believe the routine is also taught in the book "Slydini Encores".

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Thanks all.
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
Hi folks,

I'm surprised that no one has raised the issue of misleading advertising regarding Tony Clark's Paper Balls and Rings. Perhaps I am wrong about this, and please say so if you think so. But it seems to me that when an ad says "no lapping", the implication is that the routine can be done standing up. So I was dismayed that one needn't lap because the routine requires a s*****te. This is a distinction without a significant difference. Is using the device alluded to above really a substantial alternative to lapping? With the device, it's difficult if not impossible to perform the routine surrounded. But lapping can be done with spectators all around, as long as they are not virtually on top of you. The advertising also says that you don't need a tablecloth. Very misleading. Am I entirely, or only partially, off the wall on this? Let's hope that HP understands, as I plan to return the item.

Best,

Alan
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not sure whether I would agree with you or disagree with you, Alan. The routine is well enough known that we would assume that if there were no lapping involved, something else similar would be. I do work with a servante quite often, so I wouldn't be disappointed at all. I can't do routines that require lapping, because I always perform standing.

And if you are surrounded, the audience will have to be seated, or at least in a position in which they will not be able to see into the box.

However, in the context of the description, I would recommend that you call them first, to see what you should do.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Slydini's Interlude with a Paper Napkin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL