The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Black Widow (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..32~33~34
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
180 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
Oops, forgot to mention (please see previous post immediately prior to this one - very last post, page 22):

The one on e-bay that I was talking about, above, ultimately sold for $69.99 - the poor schmuck lost $180.00 on his investment. A shame, really.
You can get the latest issues of Top Hat by clicking here.
Visit us on FaceBook by clicking here.
mballen11502
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis, TN
202 Posts

Profile of mballen11502
I've been outbid on eBay! I think I will wait until I hit 50 posts and see what is available on this forum.
John
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of John
I have a very specific use for the Black Widow - and it would be for parlour, after dinner,Rotary Club and small stage settings. I want to do Bill to Lemon with a "transposition" plot. I want a clean vanish of a bill from the volunteer's hand. (It is a switched out bill and I won't need to retrieve it. It will be rolled up in the shape of a very small "tube" and could be held in shape by a paper clip or clasp.)

My question is - could I finesse the angle issues with distance and some body cover? The volunteer could be "managed" to only have a view from above. The parlour audience wouldn't have to "see" the vanish - I think it would carry from the volunteers display of his empty hand and the display of some lemon seeds I'd like left in his/her hand,

I know BW is a close up effect. Could I use it as a utility item for a vanish/transposition under parlour and small stage conditions where the force of the change is registered by the display of placing the bill openly in the spectators hand and his/her reaction after and the display of seeds?

Many Thanks,

John
jamie9
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of jamie9
Quote:
On 2008-06-07 10:50, John wrote:
I have a very specific use for the Black Widow - and it would be for parlour, after dinner,Rotary Club and small stage settings. I want to do Bill to Lemon with a "transposition" plot. I want a clean vanish of a bill from the volunteer's hand. (It is a switched out bill and I won't need to retrieve it. It will be rolled up in the shape of a very small "tube" and could be held in shape by a paper clip or clasp.)

My question is - could I finesse the angle issues with distance and some body cover? The volunteer could be "managed" to only have a view from above. The parlour audience wouldn't have to "see" the vanish - I think it would carry from the volunteers display of his empty hand and the display of some lemon seeds I'd like left in his/her hand,

I know BW is a close up effect. Could I use it as a utility item for a vanish/transposition under parlour and small stage conditions where the force of the change is registered by the display of placing the bill openly in the spectators hand and his/her reaction after and the display of seeds?

Many Thanks,

John

I really like that idea to exchange a bill for seeds..That makes sense. I don't know how practicle that this is because I don't have a black widow. I wish I did because I would want to try that out!
mistifyed
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of mistifyed
Quote:
On 2008-06-07 10:50, John wrote:

Many Thanks,

John

Yes, this will definately work.

Like anything, some expiramenting and rehearsal and it is a forgone conclusion
and a wonderful application for the "black Widow"

all the best.

Darryl V
Gork
View Profile
New user
Germany
70 Posts

Profile of Gork
I would like to ask if the BW could be used to switch in and out a card which is not shimmed. - Yes I read it was covered already (e.g. size) but I need more detail.

So earlier in this thread was said you can only vanish if it is shimmed and place all (in the ad I think is said you can switch ALL).

But cause there is a m---h* (not hard to guess if you can actually place some thing), is there a chance to e.g. use it in a gambling routine like this:

I am bringing it out, picking the brought out card with the hand and at the same time (or after) shove the "to vanish" card in before it closes and retracts so it pulls the old card with it?

Possible?

* Acually one thing about the m--h or G---n -ine thing.... Think talking about such things in that way is stupid somehow Smile a layman could not figure out any trick, even if this would be spelled out and a magician could not build a device based on this to avoid buying... So why then talk like secret service agents? LOL!

Maybe is one part of the feeling to be a magician Smile
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Gork, that is definitely possible with the Black Widow.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Gork
View Profile
New user
Germany
70 Posts

Profile of Gork
Thanks!
OMG! I Need to robb a bank! Got too many expensive hobbies Smile
Gork
View Profile
New user
Germany
70 Posts

Profile of Gork
Please forgive me but as it is really late I will not type another feedback but copy the one I answered in another post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got my Black Widow and other than some thought cause of my thoughts on the Raven (I think it is poorly made) I an NOT disapointed! It is great!

It is what I thought the Raven would be like as I bought it back then.

Surely it is partly of the same material (the fluffy part e.g.) but it is very well thought through in detail!

1. The BW is silent, the Raven did talk

2. It is fine crafted. Surely done with materials one can get his hands on easily, but not cheap built like the Raven is (just my opinion). The Raven was like I grabbed in my spare part box, got some random objects, took some glue and there I would have gotten the Raven.
The BW is well thought over and built with much love for details. It is nearly the best you can do without professional factory production

3. The price is totally ok and maybe you could have charge some more!

4. It is as small as you can do without factory. So it is not bulky as I read. Small enough.

There is only one slightly bad thing I have to mention:
Mine was entangled inside as I got it. Just minimal and you would not have figured out if you would have used it as it was (maybe this is why it passed Darryl`s QC?). As I reconfigured it for the right arm I saw it. Because I did not know if it has to be like it was by purpose, I did let it stay this way and reconfigured it for the right arm. This entangled it totally until it did not move any more.
So I undid the entangled part and reconfigured it. Now it works very well!
So it needs to be visually checked after production for entanglement (cause I read multiple times about here before and you could not feel it)

I once (after I returned the Raven) thought about constructing my own piece, which would have worked somewhat like the BW but on a very other priciple (no g*****n l****e). Maybe this would have been some smaller and looking more factory produced but the BW is totally what I was looking for.

Cause mine would have used a very other principle you could e.g. have changed things without moving the hands. Just by holding your Hand over the piece stationary for a moment. Maybe some time I will start this project cause it really is easy if you got the Idea but for now I will use the BW because it is really good and what I was looking for.

I did not buy it in Germany cause there the price is nearly double of the original but the canadian price is very responsible for this piece of work!

Surely it needs some practise to get it fluently for performance but all can be done without practise easily for testing or first steps!

So Thumbs up! Really!

Everyone who likes to do Ravenlike effects, I really propose buying BW. It is like the Raven Pro version to me!

Thanks Darryl!
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
I can recommend this, it's smooth and startling, but as one poster said earlier, it is good if used sparingly, mixed in with other illusions. The only downer was that the DVD was corrupted (I think because of a component in the BW); I'll email the makers and see what I can do to replace it.

Geoffrey
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
Gork
View Profile
New user
Germany
70 Posts

Profile of Gork
HI!
After training some I made a vid to see how it appeares to laymen but got not ver much feedback so if you like, would you please comment on what you see? Thx!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYRJ3ypKKNU&feature=related

Btw.... I still think it needs this much effort to vanish with the BW (less than Raven for me). Only fluently exchanging takes time. This Video was done on my third Evening of training BW (1-2h each) and I think good enough to fool laymen but as said I like to hear your opinion.

Geoffrey:
Your DVD cannot be damaged by the goods in the package unless it is scratched or similar. I think I know what you mean but cause DVD is an OPTICAL medium with small holes burnt in it like a old style record. So it can`t be damaged this way!
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
I received my Black Widow yesterday (10-09-08). I am amazed with it in so many ways. The build quality is excellent. It's practicality and application will change so many things for me.

If there is some kind of a Magician's Society awards category for the best piece of magical gear of the year, Darryl Vanamburg deserves the top prize. This is a work of genius, in my opinion.

It's going to be hard to not over use it, because it's just so darn slick (even if I am having trouble getting the mechanical pick-up part of the effect to open up and do it's job. (I hope I said that correctly so as not to abuse the non-disclosure agreement of this forum).

Which brings me to registering for the Black Widow Forum, so that I can get a little help. I've sent PMs to (Darryl and Sreidy) like the BW forum asks for new owners/members to do and I've sent Darryl a private e-mail. So far no response.

I'll wait and see what happens, but I sure do need to ask a few questions.

Now back to feeling like Jane Bond or a Gambling hall female spy on "The Wild, Wild West"....... This holdout is so *** cool!!!! It brings the dreams of my adolescence in magic (late 1950's) until today, into reality. This is what I have always wanted. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

dsalley13
Eric Simmatis
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Eric Simmatis
If anyone wants to buy one cheap email me at ric-2-32@hotmail.com !!!
SplitSpades11
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of SplitSpades11
Sorry but the Black Widow is no wear near worth how much it's going for.I owned one and sold it because it seemed cool at the time but you never use it because it's a pain in the ass to wear with the appropriate clothing and also physically for craftsmanship and ease of use is not worth 250 dollars.I know allot of magicians will be all well it's the effect that matters etc. I think that there is just as much deception on the magic market as there is in preforming the effects themselves.It's not even the money that matters it the fact that you are being taken for a complete ****ing fool if you buy this.but hay each to his own.....
"I care about eating, magic, and holding my children. " — Jay Sankey
sailorphil
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of sailorphil
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 17:00, SplitSpades11 wrote:
Sorry but the Black Widow is no wear near worth how much it's going for.I owned one and sold it because it seemed cool at the time but you never use it because it's a pain in the ass to wear with the appropriate clothing and also physically for craftsmanship and ease of use is not worth 250 dollars.I know allot of magicians will be all well it's the effect that matters etc. I think that there is just as much deception on the magic market as there is in preforming the effects themselves.It's not even the money that matters it the fact that you are being taken for a complete ****ing fool if you buy this.but hay each to his own.....

Interesting that you PM ME five minutes after you post this, asking if I have one in STOCK ?!?

I have PM'd you a reply.

Phil
SplitSpades11
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of SplitSpades11
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 16:16, sailorphil wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 17:00, SplitSpades11 wrote:

Interesting that you PM ME five minutes after you post this, asking if I have one in STOCK ?!?

I have PM'd you a reply.

Phil

I have no interest in buying it I just saw you were dominating the beginning of the post and of the I was told you were the first to stock them with the best price? I wanted to ask how much in case I gave someone a bad deal?
"I care about eating, magic, and holding my children. " — Jay Sankey
wjkrysak
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
152 Posts

Profile of wjkrysak
[quote]On 2008-09-19 13:37, Gork wrote:
HI!
After training some I made a vid to see how it appeares to laymen but got not ver much feedback so if you like, would you please comment on what you see? Thx!

FWIW: I own a BW and find direct is better. Why not simply, point to the coin, swipe your hand, palm up, Finish. No reason to flip hand to prove. Hope this helps. Enjoy your magic. cheaha bill
Create memories to enjoy the magic of life.
Tread lightly. Give. cheaha bill
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Am I mistaken, or can this device vanish/change playing cards as well? I wonder why if so he didn't put it in the video.

also, if I didn't read wrong, you can do it by your side with your hand more or less pointing down?
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Does anyone know an active forum for the BW? The links in this thread are no good anymore.
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
I am fairly sure that the BW Forum was hacked and is no longer active. This was one of my worst purchases in magic. Totally regret it. I would have had more fun burning the money.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Black Widow (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..32~33~34
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL