The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » offensive behavior » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
It is very interesting, the topic I mean. And to go from ok a 1000 times to a brick in the head, man what a wide range of opinions. But like it or not, this is the place to discuss these sorts of issues.

Very interesting, please continue...
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Yea, I'm liking it too.

I talked to Cellini about this. He would never use this bit because it doesn't fit him but he could not believe that someone reacted like that. It's as old as dirt, this one.

So I do this bit and at the end I call this little girl a golddigger when the little boys give her the money. Gazzo does the bit. Never fails to get a laugh. Is that offensive?
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Yeah he won't be typing so well after he takes that first brick to the head Smile
... ... ... ... ... I used to overuse those too, but I made them vanish!

Nathan Pain
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Yes Koz, not many people could get away with as Gazzo does. So, done by most people, it probably would be somewhat offensive.

Personally, I love it when Gazzo gets the little boys to give the little girl the money that he gave them each earlier, and then looks at them, and says to the boys who now, after giving up the money, have sad looks on their faces, "Get used to it!" and then says to her; "Gold digger..."

It is clear to everyone in the audience what is going on and they all seem to get a kick out of it.

I wouldn't do that bit myself. But the way Gazzo works it, it was pretty funny!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I don't think the point of this discussion is what is offensive. The point is he got let go from a chance to perform at a venue regularly because he used a bit in which he "accidentally" kisses a man's significant other. He says this works for him but if it gets him fired, it obviously doesn't always work. It's like if you get busted doing a move, you would re-evaluate your performance of that move. It is unfortunate that the person could not take a joke, but everyone is different. Like me, I would have been royally ******! It is all a matter of preference, I prefer not to have people "accidentally" kiss my wife. Maybe some guys enjoy this. Maybe some guys don't have enough ***** to tell you to cut it out, I dunno. Some things Penn and Teller do are offensive, but it works for them. It wouldn't work for everyone. That is why there is only one Penn & Teller! I wouldn't really hit him with a brick, but the thought would cross my mind. Stranger things have happened!

Nathan Pain

P.S. It is not a matter of what is offensive to me, obviously, because I am a huge fan of some of the most filthiest stand-up comedy any of you will ever have the chance to hear. It is just a matter of smooching people's ladies only!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
So where are we at so far? What are the facts?

1. Kozmo got bumped from his spot.
2. He wasn't drawing a check from the owner.
3. He recognizes the offensiveness of the bit, and is considering cutting it. (If he cuts it and goes back to the owner explaining this, possibly the spot opens up?)

What are the pros:
1. The bit gets a good tip.
2. A percentage of people think it's funny.

What are the cons:
1. Could lose your job/spot over a complaint.
2. Possible contraction of disease.
3. Possible arrest and jail time.
4. Jealous husband/lover uses knife, gun, fist, or brick to end your life.

It's not adding up for me, but keep going, I'm still listening.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well, first of all, it's not illegal 'cause she's kissing me, remember. And no, I can't get the gig back which is another issue. The lady that runs the thing hasn't seen my show so she really doesn't understand what happened. What she did say was, "The other guy's here don't get bad comments and it's not worth the hassle to deal with someone that might." It's likely that if she saw the bit she would like it and think it's funny also. This was a short guy who complained who was ***** cause his girlfriend kind of laughed. It wasn't the girl that was upset. Listen, no one reacts to this this way...ever..until now. I didn't start doing this last week you know. I have thought of getting rid of the bit 'cause I really don't like doin' it all that much. The reason why the other performers don't get bad comments is because no one watches them. They can't draw a crowd because they aren't very good. I like them, but they aren't good. It's easy to please everyone who's watching you if no one is watching you? Right? I may get rid of the bit...may...as soon as I figure out why they aren't complaining about the things that I do that really are offensive. Smile

koz
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-12-10 17:11, tedb wrote:
heres another subject....danny said he is the anti flirt...you should be...but ...watch your audience as you build it...the kids...they are watching...how does he get that coin to go from one hand to the other....the dad...hes watching too...but mom...nope, mom is looking at the next thing to go and see...lets move on fellas...so i attack the wife...i get her involoved so she doesn't want to move on...i do the magic in her hand....WoW!...how'd he do that...and when thats done....no one is going anywhere because she wants to stay...

Hi Koz,

I think you might have misunderstood my post. I almost always do the trick to the woman but I 'play' to the ego of the husband/boyfriend. When I am doing the trick to his girl, I am joking but instead of joking with her about her or her and me, I joke with her in a way that builds HIM up.

The best reactions almost always come from the woman but the cash almost always comes from the guy. I got my first twenty dollar drop by playing my comedy this way.

To each his own to be sure and what ever gets the frog skins in the hat for us as individuals is what we should all try to be doing.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I didn't misunderstand, Danny. Seems like we almost always see eye to eye. I play it up big time before the kiss. Is there anything in my hands? Rub them, make sure. They do. I look at the man, give him a thumbs up and then say to the woman, "Do it again. How about in my pocket? Come on baby, it's my birthday. Ok. Well then, how about a kiss on the cheek."

koz
Vaclav
View Profile
New user
Now Seattle. Before? Who knows.
68 Posts

Profile of Vaclav
nathanpain

A little question.
At almost all of my shows I'm doing this walk thru the rope trick and if it's an adult audience the story is that I'm going to show them how to win a heart of beautiful lady. Then I will compete for her with the guy holding the other end. And if she want to stay with me she will walk thru it if not she is staying with him.(She decides on who is the guy helping.)
Of course She walks thru so I send the guy back to his seat and then proceed to announce our wedding day. Smile
So my question to you is.
If the lady would be your wife and you the guy, are you going to chase me around with the brick? Smile
Just in case you would come to one of my shows. Smile
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Yeah, you better duck! Jealousy is jealousy, no matter what it's wrapped in! You stay away from my wife with your ropes. Using ropes on my wife is my job. UHHHHH, perhaps I've said too much.

Nathan Pain
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-12-11 00:53, Vaclav wrote:
nathanpain

A little question.
At almost all of my shows I'm doing this walk thru the rope trick and if it's an adult audience the story is that I'm going to show them how to win a heart of beautiful lady. Then I will compete for her with the guy holding the other end. And if she want to stay with me she will walk thru it if not she is staying with him.(She decides on who is the guy helping.)
Of course She walks thru so I send the guy back to his seat and then proceed to announce our wedding day. Smile
So my question to you is.
If the lady would be your wife and you the guy, are you going to chase me around with the brick? Smile
Just in case you would come to one of my shows. Smile

Why not write the routine around the guy? If the guy is true to his girl he can walk through the rope. Almost like a lie detector. You could play it straight, or as a great comedy bit. In my opinion (even though you didn't ask for it Smile )it is always bad form to make yourself look like the hero at the end of the trick.

MANY magicians do this and in my opinion it is often why many people hate magicians. Ask anyone what their biggest complaint is about magicians and it will almost always be, "The try and make people look stupid and they think they are better than everyone else."

I've checked, that's what I usually get back.

Not to mention, a guy using a magic trick that that tries to makes him look desirable to women almost always comes off like a geek who can't get a date. It is often uncomfortable to watch. <-- I am talking in general here and not about you or what you described. Just food for thought.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Tedb writes: ". . .i play it up big time before the kiss....is there anything in my hands?...rub them, make sure...they do...i look at the man...give him a thumbs up and then say to the woman..so it again...how about in my pocket...come on baby, its my birthday....ok....well then how about a kiss on the cheek...."

This is a joke,right?

If not, it's SO bad on SO many levels, there's no point in even beginning to try to respond!

I'm just surprised somebody hasn't SHOT you by now!

Smile
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Great lie detector idea Danny!!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Yea Peter, it's a joke. Hey, Peter, what is it that you do for a living?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13386 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I want to read more posts by Ted. Ted, if that's not true, then make up some more stuff and post it here. I'm laughing!

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hey Peter,
Where would we be with out humor? CANADA!!!!!!

Hey Frank,
i'm a funny guy. That's why I get to do this for a living.Smile Isn't life beautiful? Guy with no sense of right or wrong, making a living, making them smile, laugh. But I have never played Canada. They would...What did my bud Pete say?...oh yea, shoot me. It's amazing, all those people that laugh their butts off must just be nervous Smile cause all the stuff I do is wrong.

:)

koz
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-12-11 17:12, tedb wrote:
yea peter...its a joke...hey peter what is it that you do for a living?....

Hey Koz, Peter is magician and a busker, just like you and me (from what I hear he is not too bad although I've never seen his act).

He is also a guy who has come up with A LOT of pretty good (and some GREAT) original stuff.

He is also a relative of your teacher's, teacher, Slydini (notice Peter's last name).

Peter is one of the good guys, he just HATES bits like the one you describe. **shrug** they can't ALL love us all the time Smile

Best,

Dan-

P.S. he also has some pretty strong opinions just like you and me. In case you hadn't noticed Smile

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Danny, that's cool! When someone says to me, I'm hurting magic and I give magicians a bad reputation because I do a bit he doesn't care for, then, well, I get a little upset. That's the nicest way I can put it. 100's of guys do the same bit for the last 100 years.

I have to tell you something, I would rather make them laugh than go what the %$^*!!!! I make them do that, but funny is money and I do ok. This has been an interesting thing, this post, this whole thread. It was worth losing this spot just to have this happen. We are so diverse in how we make it work. I respect Peter for going out there and making a living for so many years. Well, he looks like he has been around for a while...that was a joke, Pete...lol...Not funny in Canada, but pretty funny to me here in NY. And Danny, I always respect your opinion and to tell you the truth, I think we are now friends.

koz
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
You can actually look over Peter's material at the Online Visions site, and to the best of my short term memory (and it hasn't been that good lately), he writes a column in one of the trade magazines.

But back to the bit....

Now what, Koz? Do you have a new spot staked out?

Also, do you have more than one act routined?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » offensive behavior » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL