The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Keeping doves inside house (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
I've heard rumors that Birds carry some diseases. I've brough in my doves cages inside the garage so I don't get lazy about bringing them inside everyday to train them.

I live with my wife and our two kids (4 year old son and 1 year old daughter) Im concerned about the birds carrying diseases and my kids or us getting sick, even though we sleep upstairs, but I'm now closing the garage door as oposed to leaving it open due to the heat in Miami and the garage to having any AC.

How many of you have small children or know about similar issues?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jaime

Jaime
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Good ventilation is key, birds have been associated to some lung problems in humans.

As for the garage, if you use a window fan to pull the hot air out of the garage, they should be alright.
POOF!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5166 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jaime, I keep my birds in the garage all the time. The enemy of doves is draft, not heat or cold. You mentioned once before that you have 3 birds and that shouldn't cause any health issues. I kept as many as 30 in my basement at one time. I wouldn't recommend this as the dust is quite heavy and that many birds could cause a respiratory problem. You don't need to set up a ventilation fan in the garage either unless you want to. If the garage has a window, you could open it once in awhile. Remember they are birds and birds live outside in trees, no matter what the temperature.
Where the magic begins
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Thanks again Dave, you mentioned you had as many as 30 at once, how did you prevent them from fighting with each other? with this many? If I have more, I would like to have all my doves in the same cage due to the space limitations on my house, but cant do that now, cause one bird is being attacked! Do you think that if I get this poor bird a pair and later on move them in all together, that maybe the fighting will stop since its more even now? Ohh Goshh but I think I might have currently three males, since I have not seen any eggs since the female flew away (Escaped) and that was about 3 months ago.

regards,

Jaime
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5166 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The more birds you have, the bigger the cage requirements. In my case, I fenced off one corner of my basement. It was about 10' x 12'. It looked like an outdoor aviary. Every once in awhile there would be a fight if two males got on the same perch next to each other but other than that, it was fine. The fighting is caused by one bird trying to dominate the others. It's a territorial thing. With a large cage or aviary, there is no threat to any male. They all have their required space.
Where the magic begins
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Perfect that sums it up, I need a big cage! hopefully I can get a type of aviary.

thanks a million!

Jaime
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Thanks kregg also !
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Also, keeping them indoors you should be concerned with light.
They need sun quality light for health or the right spectrums anyways
as do we.
Daniel Faith
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5166 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Good point Daniel. When I had mine in the basement, there was a large window that let in lot's of sunlight but I also had several full spectrum lights set up. Even with all of that, I used to pack them all up on weekends that weren't rainy and put them outside in smaller cages for the day.
Where the magic begins
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
459 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Had mine in separate cages for a long time, and always had problems when transporting the birds to shows. The dominant male would beat the crap out of the other males. Daves sugestion worked like a charm. I put all 3 pairs in a huge cage. It took them a few weeks to work out a pecking order, but 3 years later and all is well. Thanks again Dave.
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Absolutely, overcrowding often leads to fighting. (Just as it can among humans!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Keeping doves inside house (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL