The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tone of Voice and Wording (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mitchell.Stafiej
View Profile
New user
Quebec
61 Posts

Profile of Mitchell.Stafiej
I was told to post this here for some of the beginners!

A simple change of the tone of your voice when you say "Hi" at the beginning of your performance can make it the best, or worst performance of your life.

Throughout this article I will go over different types of tones and why you should, or shouldn't use them. Aswell as some powerful wording to use to captivate your audience.

Your tone of voice reflects your physical and psychological emotions, a simple change in pitch can mean your very happy, or gloomily sad. It also carries some information about you. Whether you are aggressive or superior to others.

Most people will use a high toned voice for greetings and to show harmlessness and to invite. A softer and higher pitch is innately friendly and is nonaggressive. You should take this into considering when approaching a spectator or spectators. They will be more likely to stay and not brush you off. A high toned voice should also be used for interacting with your audience. If you sound happy, they will surely be happy aswell.

During your performance, if you want to have a mysterious tone of voice, that would be very good. Talk very slowly and softly. Almost monotonous, but not quite. If your voice is monotonous, it will seem very repetitive to the spectator and they will become bored. Raise your voice midway through your words to sound more mysterious.

One of the most important tones to have is a CONFIDENT tone. You don't want to seem as if the spectator says something, and you have to run away. Your voice has to indicate your going to stand your ground throughout your entire performance. To have a confident tone of voice, you have to empasise words. Let's take the phrase "Did you see that? Now Watch."

If you emphasize on the word "that" then it will prompt them to respond to your question.

If you emphasize on the word "Now" then you will be telling them to watch at THAT moment exactly, you will see that their heads will watch immediatly.

If you emphasize on the word "Watch", then they will be most likely to look at you, and then look down.

You see, with your tone of voice, you can literraly control your audience. Just remember to vary your tone of voice. If you stay completely monotone throughout your performance, then you will sound, well, BORING.

Now, let's move onto wording. With the proper wording, you can captivate your audience and get them excited.

Let's use the sentence "Watch as the card changes."

If you add some key wording into that phrase, then it will no longer sound bland.

Once again, try and sound confident that it will change. Add the word "Now" to the beginning of the sentence, and emphasize on the word "Now". Another good word to stick into that sentence would be "visibly". Insert "visibly" between "card" and "changes". Also emphasize on "visibly". It sounds a lot more intriguing.

Now the sentence is "Now, watch as the card visibly changes."

It sounds a lot more captivating this way, and should really grab your audience and allow for the best possible reactions.

Mitchell
jgoldsney
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of jgoldsney
Thanks for this....it helps to have stuff like this pointed out especialy for folks like me who can talk the hind leg off of a mule but can't seem to put together a patter that sounds right...I think I was putting too much emphasis on the words and not paying enough attention to the tone of the words.
-----------------------

There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand Binary and those who don't Smile
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 13:32, jgoldsney wrote:
Thanks for this....it helps to have stuff like this pointed out especialy for folks like me who can talk the hind leg off of a mule but can't seem to put together a patter that sounds right...I think I was putting too much emphasis on the words and not paying enough attention to the tone of the words.

Or, you may just be thinking about it too much.
Bob
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I've given this advice many times: Take acting classes. Take voice classes. Take dance, singing, movement, etc. Whatever can teach you more control of your body, etc. will stand you in excellent stead as a magician. BEst,
Brad Burt
gaafman
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of gaafman
Thanx for the tips. I think it's another part of the puzzle of being a good magician/performer. But this piece is overlooked quite a lot by beginners. So thanx.

And by the way, you're tone and voice should also match the caracter you are on stage. If you are performing as a shy person, well you need a totally different sensation given to the audience. Acting-classes will help!
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
One of the biggest steps I took in my magic is when I started scripting my routines. I've rewritten all of my scripts multiple times adding inflection and mannerisms. Until you start doing this yourself, you just don't realize how much more powerful your magic can be. I tell everyone who comes to me for advice, "Write a script."
I've seen so many people that think wingin' it's "good enough." I hate to blame David Blaine because it's not really his fault, but I have seen more people with this attitude since his specials. What they don't realize is that DB has been in magic for quite some time. He has a defined mystic-type character, and it would really suprise me to hear he ever "wings" anything.

This reminds me of a video on YouTube I saw recently. While not dealing with patter, the expressions you make say a lot to your audience as well.
The video was of a guy doing card manipulations. Technically, he wasn't bad. However, he had no expression at all. He was in his own little world, just going through the motions.
Someone commented that he needed more personality with his productions, and he responded by saying, "just my style, why take away the focus from the true art with expressions?" I replied "One word - PRESENTATION," and went on to say how he would see his magic get a much better response if he worked on his presentation. Hopefully, he'll learn this sooner than later, but my comment was quickly deleted.

The "true art" of magic is in the presentation, not in technical skill.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
scooter magic
View Profile
New user
Fredricksburg, VA
73 Posts

Profile of scooter magic
Great post,lots of helpful information. Michael J. has a realy good point too me and my dad have been helping each other write our scrips for seven years. Writing a script also helps you make sure your piont is made and that your show all ties together.
-Ashley
Ashley Taggert
moving up in the world of magic
B.K.Pal
View Profile
New user
India
74 Posts

Profile of B.K.Pal
I fully realise the importance of presentation. Also Brad Burt's advice on taking voice class and Acting class. Since I do not find suitable facilities nearby, may I get information on basic literature - specially on voice training and Acting (useful for the magician) ?
Sincerely Yours,....PAL
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
3 words: "Magic & Showmanship" by Henning Nelms

there are a few good modern takes on this classic (thou none come to mind ATM) but this one will take you far.

Who would have thought where you stand in relationship to your assistants would have so much bearing on how you are thought of in your own show?

Henning Nelms, that's who.

As always Burt's advice on taking a simple basic acting class will help you work wonders!

G
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Thanks Mitchell, I found this post helpful.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Very nice post Mitchell!
I agree with Michael J. Douglas when it comes to scripting.
it is literally vital to your performance.
presentation is the true power behind your magic. if you don't realize this and take advantage of it you are missing out on the true potential your magic can reach.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
magicleo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicleo
Wow...that was profound...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Alway remember the 3 V's:

1. Voice

2. Verbal

3. Visual

A lot of people think verbal is most important, but it is not. The most important is voice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tone of Voice and Wording (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL