The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » DeCova DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
I just finished watching for the third time the Alexander DeCova dvd "Examining the Thumb Tip". Wow! There is some truly beautiful thinking here. This is more post graduate material for people who use a thumbtip. DeCovas handling ideas transform a useful prop into something ... Well, simply lovely to watch.

The dvd retails for $25.00 in U.S.A. funds.
It is hosted by Martin lewis.
Three effects are demonstrated. I wont name them simply because I hope you will have the curiosity to want to see them without my telling you what to watch or what my favorites are.
The dvd is nicely divided by performance and explanation chapters. Watch the performances first PLEASE.
The best part of the dvd is without doubt the jam session between Mr. Lewis and Mr. DeCova on the theory behind the "container" concept.

About the only "con" I can see is that English is obviously Mr. DeCova's second language and while he speaks quite clearly, he tends to ramble a bit and repeat himself at times. But this is during the jam session and is very forgivable.

Basically, if you would like to elevate your performances with the venerable old thumb tip to new levels, then do not waste time... BUY THIS DVD.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Tony put it more eloquntlly than I could.

I LOVE the jam session also!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
martin rieckmann
View Profile
New user
Germany
9 Posts

Profile of martin rieckmann
You are right doomo, mr. deCova is from germany- so this kind of accent is comprehensible Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm still beaming over this DVD. It goes on my "never sell" shelf!!

Chris

Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
All the De Cova DVD's are an excellent investment for any magician wanting to adavance the artistry and efficiency of their magic. Truly a highly valued set for the thinking and beautiful handlings Alexander passes on. His subtleties and execution rank up there with the best of them. The TT volume is phenomenal and has me practicing the TT material daily at present (that hasn't happened for a long time...). I have Sylvano's TT work (which set the standard previously) and this is right up there with it.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The tricks in the performance portion of this DVD did not really do it for me, but boy once the "jam session" teaching and theory kicked in I thought I was watching an entirely different DVD. The beauty of the moves, the subtlties, and the thinking are top notch. It is work like this which can be applied to any routines and immediately improve the impact you get!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I just watched this last night. I never thought anyone could compete with Jay Scott Berry in the thumb tip arena but Alex fooled me several times on this dvd. There were two moments where I was thinking, "if he opens his hand and the silk/bill is gone, I'll be blown away." Needless to say, I was blown away both times. His bill vanish in the third routine is simply awesome. Get this dvd if you do anything with a TT.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
"Examining the Thumb Tip" is wearing out my DVD player.

I got to try out the bill vanish technique in performance. I got the feeling I get when I do a top change: sneaky, fool-em, amaze them.

How often can I say how much I love this DVD? As often as I can!

Chris

sadamspmp
View Profile
New user
Sunny Tampa, Florida
34 Posts

Profile of sadamspmp
Thanks to everyone for recommending DeCova's Thumbtip DVD. I was skeptical at the beginning as I was not familar with DeCova and his presentation was more "matter of fact" than flashy. As a beginning magician I'm SOOOO glad that one of my first exposures to the use of the TT was DeCova's. It has made me think of the TT in a VERY different way than I would have. My entire approach to it's use will be different and better thanks to this DVD. The lecture portion of the DVD is solid gold and deserves repeated review. I'd recommend this DVD for the a beginner and seasoned magician. I now must go and wear out a few TTs practicing.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
After watching Examining The Thumbtip by Alexander DeCova, I've not only gained new perspectives on the wonderful TT, but it has added new dimentions in my magic. This DVD is a must-have, folks!

Alexander DeCova is a great magician and his theory on TT is a tour de force in TT magic.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-09-17 20:41, evolve629 wrote:
After watching Examining The Thumbtip by Alexander DeCova, I've not only gained new perspectives on the wonderful TT, but it has added new dimentions in my magic. This DVD is a must-have, folks!

Alexander DeCova is a great magician and his theory on TT is a tour de force in TT magic.

evolve, it couldn't be described any better than that!!

Chris

bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Gary's DVDs are the undergraduate school of techniques, while Alexander de Cova's DVD is the graduate school of thumbtip theory and psychology that will further polish your presentation.

Alexander de Cova's DVD, "Examining the Thumbtip is also available from Stevens Magic:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=8592

Bob Phillips
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
I was inspired by the original thinking in "Examining the Thumb Tip". Darwin's DVD was great in showing the unlimited potential of the TT, Alexander de Cova takes the presentation and handling to another level. Great DVD!
chteo
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of chteo
"Examining the Thumb Tip" vs "Patrick Page's TT DVD" vs "Salvano's TT DVD"

How do these 3 compare? Do they overlap?
I'm seriously looking into improving my TT handling nad techniques....not so much for routines and ideas.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-12-21 13:39, chteo wrote:
"Examining the Thumb Tip" vs "Patrick Page's TT DVD" vs "Salvano's TT DVD"

How do these 3 compare? Do they overlap?
I'm seriously looking into improving my TT handling nad techniques....not so much for routines and ideas.

All excellent. But...Examining the Thumb Tip has some revolutionary thinking and will change the way yu use this deadly device.

Chris

chteo
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of chteo
Cool... Thanks!

Revolutionary thinking...sounds interesting.

Yeah the TT kills!
CaptRitz
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of CaptRitz
Just when you think that a TT would never fool you again...
This is a wonderful lesson in showmanship and technique.
Ah, the lowly workhorse of the magician.

DeCova and Jay Berry are leading the way
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Want a kILLER TT effect? Check out Justin Miller's use of this device on the LIVE AT THE JAILHOUSE DVD's:

http://www.KOZMOMAGIC.COM

Hollyfeld
View Profile
New user
North Shore, Massachusetts
62 Posts

Profile of Hollyfeld
With the overwhelming support for the DeCova DVD, I have a question I would appreciate input on: I am a beginner with only a rudimentary knowledge of the Thumb Tip. I can only buy one DVD right now. Would I be better served with DeCova's revolutionary approach as a foundation to the way I view the tip....or would I be better off with really learning Darwin's material and adding DeCova when I can? Thanks for all of the great reviews....it is very cool to see such excitement for his work.
Did you know there's a guy living in our closet?
--You've seen him, too?
Who is he?
--Hollyfeld.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'll put something else into the mix. I would suggest you get the L&L compilation of Worlds Greatest Magic By The Worlds Greatest Magicians on the thumb tip, DeCova is one of the featured performers. You get a number of very good presentations with the TT, and it only cost $20. If you are just starting out and really want to see a great number of ways a TT can be used then Darwins video would be better for you than DeCova's but if you know your way around a TT and want to expand how a TT can be used then go with DeCova. Here is a break down:

Darwin on the Thumb Tip: Covers the basics and into a number of uses beyond vanishing a silk. Has some great ideas on it from regular magic to mentalism. This is an introduction course in Thumb Tippery. Assumes you know nothing and goes from there.

L&L WGMBTWGM Thumb Tip: Various performers show their pet routines using the TT and they are all good and in some cases excellent. Includes a lecture from a rude yet knowledgable magician. You will see how to handle a TT from this. Assumes you know how to use a TT at least minimally

DeCova: More about the philosophy of performing with the TT as the center piece. The discussion is worth more than the routines but the routines are very good and a TT may just be a minor part of a broader routine. Assumes you want to expand as a performer.

Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » DeCova DVDs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL