The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » LOUD Snow Machines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
What is it about snow machines that makes them so LOUD? There seems to be no reason for the noise, unless they just use a cheap fan. I realize there are quieter ones available now, but has anyone come up with a method for quieting the older models, other than covering up the sound with music?

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Masking the sound is only way I have found. Mine is quite loud, but I use it in a place where I can hang it from the ceiling. This along with the music covers most of the noise.

You are correct about quieter models being available, but the last time I checked they were rather expensive. I agree that it seems they could install a better, quieter fan and it seems that alone should not cause such a price differential.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I don't own a snow machine, but have definitely heard some of the loud ones. There is a significant increase in price to go with the quieter models. I always thought that if I got one I would enclose it in a plywood box lined with acoustic foam to keep the sound in. That should be an inexpensive way of reducing the sound level.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
That is a good possibility, however you would have to be careful and not close it up too much. They have to have some ventilation.
Mister Mystery
Neil_Brown
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of Neil_Brown
Quote:
They have to have some ventilation.

Exactly what I was going to say Smile
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
A plastic ice chest (not a cheap foam one) does wonders to quite loud snow machines. Paint it black, cut a hold for the snow, another in the back for air and your all set. Nice and quite...really, sounds silly but, it works.

Morgan
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ms. Morgan that doesen't sound silly at all. It sounds like an excellent idea!

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » LOUD Snow Machines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL