The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Why do I do it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ordinarymind
View Profile
New user
Ferndale, MI
8 Posts

Profile of ordinarymind
Hello Café,

I used to perform magic as professionally as is possible between the ages of 12 and 18 or so. Magic was all I thought about as far back as I can remember until suddenly I realized that I was completely exhausted with having my entire personality oriented around performance... I eventually became fascinated with playing and writing music and actually loathed the occasional magic gig I'd take here and there to help fund my musical equipment addiction. I was totally burnt out on magic.

It's been about eight years and now I'm finding a renewed interest in magic. I'm not so sure why, or what sparked this. I've been browsing around the web, reading about the new effects that have cropped up over the years, amazed at how the community has changed as a result of the internet. Strange to see demo clips available of just about any effect one can think of.

I'm no longer interested in performance as a career whatsoever, but I've been thinking that designing and possibly marketing effects would be a good hobby for me, allowing me to indulge in my fascination with the art without the exhaustion and monotony I found in wandering around restaurants, bar-mitzvahs, etc... I have so much respect for those who manage to maintain their interest in performance over many years. I was surprised recently to see Oz Pearlman performing demos on the Penguin website, he was in my English class my freshman year in highschool and I'm fairly sure the effects I'd perform in class now and then were what sparked his interest in magic initially. He used to want to discuss magic endlessly back then, and I'm amazed that he's managed to maintain his enthusiasm for this long, still performing professionally, developing effects, etc...

So, I figured I'd browse around, try to catch up a bit on things. Why not? This forum seems like a nice place to reconnect.

Be well,
Ryan
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Hey Ryan, welcome to the Forum. Once magic gets in your blood, I don't think it ever leaves.

Jim
Stephen Ward
View Profile
New user
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
17 Posts

Profile of Stephen Ward
Hi and welcome
There is one thing better than magic and roller coasters. That is doing magic on roller coasters!
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Yes, yessss....., he's hooked!! Have him, we do!! Hahahahaha!!!

Oh, uh, I mean, uh, welcome to the Café! Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Welcome to the Café!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
330 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Hey Ryan,
I just sent you a PM. It is great to hear from you. Your post brought up funny memories of me pestering you endlessly about magic over 10 years ago. I'll never forget how fried I was the first time (and next 10 times) I saw you perform Ring Flite. Smile

Regards,
Oz
ordinarymind
View Profile
New user
Ferndale, MI
8 Posts

Profile of ordinarymind
Remember that night at my parents' house when you went around having people pick cards and then palmed them off, handed them to me, and I'd go slip them into their pocket/purse/wallet? That KILLED ring flight. So good to hear from you.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Oz uses STOOGES! I am so disheartened. Smile
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
ordinarymind
View Profile
New user
Ferndale, MI
8 Posts

Profile of ordinarymind
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 12:30, Danny Diamond wrote:
Oz uses STOOGES! I am so disheartened. Smile

Hey, we were maybe 15-16 or so. Besides, what's wrong with working together to get a chosen card into a fun place? It's not as if this sort of effect would otherwise be "real."
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
It was a joke.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
ordinarymind
View Profile
New user
Ferndale, MI
8 Posts

Profile of ordinarymind
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 15:10, Danny Diamond wrote:
It was a joke.

How did you do that?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Why do I do it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL