The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads Ľ Ľ Show No Mercy by Michael Paul (review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Lil magic, the link seems to be fine, if you're having trouble, you can pm me and we can work it out together. Sonar, thanks! I think the visual coins across will blow your fiance away!!!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11631 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2006-06-09 11:10, Michael Paul wrote:
Here you go:

http://michaelpaulmagic.com/instantdownloads.htm

Hey Michael do you have a review of RISEN anywhere?

Is a deck included or is it a st----d deck?

Thanks,

JC
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
John, Risen is a story book stack. There's a couple of bits of "work" that you can put into the deck... it's included in the pdf.

I'm fairly sure there is a review for risen here on the Cafť.

No special deck.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11631 Posts

Profile of John C
MP, I just purchased RISEN last night. It is excellent. I made the stack last night. Simple. I will be performing this for my Priest next week. Great story (did you make that up? heh, heh) and routining.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2273 Posts

Profile of Logan
Micheal,

I would like to know, does the Visible Coins Across effect require any coin gaff/gimmicks?

I apologise for asking such a question but unfortunately, this is a concern for us that don't perform with US currency.

Thanks for your time!

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
The visible coins across can be done with most any currency. I've pm'd you the details.
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
I did the candy bit 14 times yesterday. It killed every time. Thanks Mike!!!!
Viano
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'm having trouble printing out pages 17 - 21 from the pdf. Anyone has the same problem or is it just my pdf?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4452 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
How long till the CuD comes out?
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
-smile-

Soon...
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
416 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
Show No Mercy by Michael Paul
$20 From http://www.michaelpaulmagic.com/instantdownloads.html

Pre-Amble
I have to say that I am normally quite dubious about buying manuscripts like this, where the author gives out free copies in return for a review. After all how can we honestly trust a review from someone who has been given the item being reviewed for free? The chances are pretty high that they will say something nice regardless of what they genuinely believe.

And yet, regardless of that I found myself somewhat drawn to this one anyway.

Perhaps it was the mention of Craig Browning writing the forward, after all anyone that knows of his writing (check out online visions if you donít know who he is) will know exactly how straight talking Craig is. I certainly couldnít imagine him giving platitudes, or even agreeing to write a forward for something that he didnít like. The other indication of how good it could potentially be was of course the movie clip. Whatever else you believe it was clear from that that if nothing else Michael Paul is a professional magician who audiences find very entertaining.

So, I succumbed to my CUPS addiction and bit the bullet.

The Review
Actually I never intended to bother writing a review. After all, why should I? I didn't get a freebie. However I decided that wasn't the attitude to take. It is not in the spirit of things and besides if I say nice things, there is always a chance that Michael will bear me in mind for his next release (If only the world worked that way).

I have rated all the effects on the following scale. You have to appreciate though that I have no great skill in the card sleight department.

1=Even I can do it, 2=No sleights, but not so easy, 3=Some sleights used,
4=Advanced sleights used, 5=Suitable for experienced magicians only)

That wasnít a review at all. This though, IS a review

To start off with I like the way that the manuscript is written. I like the intermittent essays. I like that each effect is split into a What, Why, When and How section, but liking that isnít enough. What are the effects like?

1. Flicker. Difficulty 3

I say three as a sleight is used, but to be fair it is one of the easier ones.

Quote:
A Red backed card flickers between red and blue, before finally stopping on red.

This is an interesting idea. Actually something the innovative Zach Allen might have come up with, but sometimes these ideas are better in print than they are in reality, so how does it actually play.

Well, as you asked so nicely. It is surprisingly magical. Itís the sort of effect that you even impression yourself with, which doesnít happen that often because as I mentioned before, Iím not the best cardician in the world. This though is very nice, the more I do it, the better the reactions get and the more I want to try it with the next group. This works very well as an opener, just because it is a real attention grabber.

Michael also has some nice afterthoughts for this. In fact it is probably the depth he goes into that makes me like the manuscript so much.

2. The Candy Opener. Difficulty 3.5

A three for the same reason as flicker. Nothing advanced though, but perhaps a little more is happening than with the first effect. (Hence the 3.5)

Quote:
With a blinding flash the magician produces a small wrapped sweet, then with apparently no moves at all the sweet disappears from the wrapper and appears in the magicians mouth.

This one is a good opener (Michaels words not mine). Actually it isnít a bad effect at all, just not one that I personally see myself performing.

It does have all the criteria of a good working magicians opening effect though. After all an object is appearing, disappearing and reappearing in an unexpected place, and most importantly fire is involved. If you have ever seen a Scott Creasey or Russ Stevens lecture you will know that fire is of course paramount to a good effect, after all, everyone knows that lay people love flashy magic.

3. Thatís not Magic. Difficulty 0

Itís an essay for goodness sake. Not an effect. How difficult can it be!

Well it made me smile (eventually). He starts by implying that Magic should be pure, without the use of Jokes, Patter, Flourishes, Rapport and even being English (whatís wrong with being English!) and then the penny drops and you realise that there is a little bit of tongue in cheekness occurring. Ahh Mr. Paul, you are a one.

4. Flashes and Ashes. Difficulty 1.5

Nothing to it. It doesnít get a one though as it doesnít happen all by itself!

Quote:
A playing card is selected, signed and hidden in a row of other cards. The rest of the deck is placed face down and a small piece of tissue (yeah, right) is placed on top and set a light. There is a brief flash (Didnít see that one coming) and the deck now reveals the position of the signed card.

Well to be honest I loved the idea for this. Not something I had come across before so I thought it was quite refreshing. The effect itself was ok. Nothing too special but I can definitely see myself coming up with my own routine that uses the sneaky secret. So this was well worth including.

This and Flicker have caused me to run out of my vast supply of Flash paper though.

5. Changing the Change. (another Essay)

The premise of this essay is that sometimes the throw away material we do is for laypeople some of the strongest magic they ever get to see. How right you are Michael. These ramblings make the reader take stock and consider the impact that magic has and reminds us to take advantage of those unexpectedly exceptionally good reactions.

6. Reality Displacement. Difficulty 4

Possibly even a 4.1

Quote:
A card is selected, signed and then pushed back into the centre of the deck by the magician. Before being fully pushed back in it can be clearly see that it is half way in the deck as the face of the card is still visible. Then as it is finally pushed all the way in the magician immediately shows the signed card is once again in his hand

This is one of the effects shown on the demo video and after I read it at first, it sounded a little too clever-clever for me. Having said that I still wanted to be able to do it and now I feel the clever-clever aspect is exactly how it should be played.

If you have seen Garrett Thomasís superb Ring Thing DVD, then you will remember that is the presentation he had for one of the moves. He claimed to have entered a magic competition for speed magic, and then demonstrated how he won the competition. Well I can see that this could get audible wows if played that way.

I canít claim to have heard these wows myself as I havenít performed it yet. Itís going to take me a little more practice to get it right. (I did say I was a klutz with cards if you remember). However I reckon it will be worth the effort.

I also think there is potential for it being part of an ambitious card routine but until I can do the basic move I wonít know for sure what other potential is possible.

7. Visual Coins Across (2 Effects). Difficulty 3.5

Quote:
The first coin visibly melts away only to reappear in the spectators hand with an audible clink. The second defect is Four coins in the spectators hand, they give you one. It disappears and then reappears back in the spectators hands.

Iím probably not the best person to review this one. Coins scare me. Always have done. I donít mean like in Chrematophobia kind of a way. That would just be ridiculous. I mean more from a magical point of view. The other reason I shouldnít really review this one is I didnít have the gimmick needed to pull it off.

Actually. If I am really honest, Iím not sure I have the balls to pull off one of the moves either. ARE YOU KDDING Michael? YOU DO WHAT?

Ok. Iíve calmed down now and made myself a cup of tea. Tea is good. Tea doesnít have any big surprises in it. Tea doesnít ask your spectators to do dangerous things.

Well. Michael you will be please to know I have now ordered one of those pesky things needed for this effect. I am not saying for sure that I will end up doing it, but it has made me want to give it a go. I mean really? You think I could get away with that? That would be so beautiful if it works. I love magic that makes me smile inwardly, and I think that this could be one of those occasions.

Having said that, I havenít done any real coin magic for a while now, so itís going to take me a while to brush up on a few things, but I reckon there could be a really good basis for a genuinely entertaining coin routine here. After all I now already have two good effects.

Rating.
Overall: 9/10, Value for money: 8/10

Bottom Line.
There are some seriously good ideas in here, and I can do nothing but thoroughly recommend it.

I know I only gave it 8/10 for value for money, but I donít see that as a bad score. We should bear in mind that the going price for a good magic book these days is anything upwards of £30, so that puts the asking price a little more in perspective. Having said that I still feel it could be a little less (but then I just want everything to be as cheap as chips).

So what else has this fella done?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6907 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Although the coin move is bold, for some reason it doesn't scare me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the best coin guy in the world. It's actually taken me quite a long time to slowly intigrate more coin routines into my work. However, with proper spectator management, I think this move will be totally invisible and the effect will play great.
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of jasper
I really enjoyed these notes, think they are great value for money, and contain effects I will use. I agrea with cfrancis that the bold coin move is very workable and I think adds a beautiful ending to coins across.

Most of all I like the fact that these effects have been created with the spectators experience and ease of performance in mind.

I will be buying more stuff from Mike.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Mike ,

I love your notes. Your thinking and touch to the coins across problem was pure genius. Reality displacement is one of the most clever ideas I have seen in a while.

All the best and more power to you!

Rannie Raymundo
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
804 Posts

Profile of magico
I finally got a chance to look over the notes. The second method for coin routine belongs to Bob Bengal and it was in his notes. Garrett Thomas in his dvd's credits this to Bob Bengal and has his own little touch on the dvd.

Magico
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Your absolutely correct magico, I got a note from Nate Kranzo a little while ago explaining that Bob Bengal has something very similar to this in print. Credit to him. I've yet to see his stuff or the garett thomas DVD (whichs is rings right?)

rannie, glad you liked the material!!!! Reality displacement is one of my favorites.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
The move for the second method is helped by miming picking up the coin by the edges.
I had a guy yesterday pick up the coin and his thumb flipped under the sh***.
He got a weird look on his face but I just grabbed it and did the vanish, then hustled him back to his chair. I really don't think he knew what he touched.

The gaff really is a weird item if you think from a layman's perspective.

Great coin routine.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
804 Posts

Profile of magico
Michael,

Garrett Thomas's handling is on his Inside The Mind of Garrett Thomas dvd, Vol 2. I just wanted to point out that Bob Bengal had the same idea in print. It's another one of those great minds think alike situation. It happens, when I was booking the talent for NEMCON, I was working on a stand-up verision of the portable hole. I came up with what I thought was my own handling, until I booked Tim Glancy from Florida. On the way to the hotel we talk about what type of magic we like and I told him I was recently working out a stand up verision of David Roth's portable hole routine. He told me that he also had a standup version. As it turned out his handling was exactly what I thought of, except his handling of the second coin was my handling of the third coin. We both only used three coins for the routine. I have to also say his routine flowed better than mine.

Magico
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Anyone who had planned on picking these notes up and have not yet, may want to do so in the coming week. They will be discontinued shortly.
Mike.Shots
View Profile
Regular user
Terrell
199 Posts

Profile of Mike.Shots
Nice, I'm glad I got mine!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads Ľ Ľ Show No Mercy by Michael Paul (review) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL