The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Hands on fire (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
After a chat on the fire-gloves on a french magic forum I had this idea to combine the fire-glove and some kind of handcuffs escape. The idea would be I have to escape and remove the gloves before my hands get burned.

But I'm not just going to set my hands on fire and pick/shim the cuff(s) in plain sight... Still if I hide my hands the effect will be less intense.
I thought about using bridge jumpers for a faster and reliable method of escape but I don't know...

Any idea greatly appreciated I am going to buy some gloves this afternoon and try those a few times)
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I wouldn't recommend you (or anyone) do it at all.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Once I have an idea Its hard to make me change my mind Smile

I am very worried about security issues, I will train with
-an assistant
-a fire extinguisher
-a big bowl of water to soak my hands into in cas it fails
james_unlimited
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
223 Posts

Profile of james_unlimited
Will you have gloves on? which will add some protection to your hands?
j
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Of course Smile 2 layers of 100% coton gloves and some fire retardant gel (If I find any)
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
In fact I am looking for advices on presentation, not on technique.

I thought of putting on the gloves, handcuffing (or chaining or both) my hands, talk for a while, build up the pressure set my hands on fire, I'd try and try to escape for over 20 secondes, looking in pain and stuff finally my assistant rushes in with the extinctor, LOT of "smoke" (you know what I mean) covering my hands, and when the fire is gone my hands are found to be free (no shackles or gloves) !
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Have you shimmed or picked cuffs yet while wearing gloves? it is harder than doing it barehanded. Practice without the fire first.

As for presentation, if you must do this, have a volunteer on stage holding a lit torch (statue of liberty style or olympic will work well). have your self cuffed in the gloves, give a speach about how the gloves cut you dexterity making the escape harder. Ask to be handed the torch, and ooops! you set your gloves on fire. Make a BIG loud comotion about it, and get free.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Yup I pick and shim through gloves and even straight jacket Smile
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
This is the best way I can think of how to do it; buy one pair of fireproof gloves like these firetoys.com and a pair of cotton on top of those. It will give the appearance of 2 cotton gloves and the added safty.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I hadn't planned on ever posting here again, but I have to say something here.

Those gloves will NOT protect you in the way that you need them to, not at all, you will get badly hurt if you do this that way.

For gods sake, don't post 'advice' like that, people might actually think you know what you are talking about about, and when they need years of skin grafts afterwards just to hold a fork, its partly your fault. Really.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you had actually used a pair of those gloves you would know they won't do the job.

Its a good idea, but don't run before you can walk. If you find out a safe method, from someone who you KNOW can keep you safe, then do it. But not before.

Oh, my last peice of advice. Doon't post good ideas here, they won't stay yours for long. There are always people around who will claim them as there own.
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
Im sorry but Are they not better then just 2 cotton Gloves?
I never said it was safe but the safist way I can think of?
would you please explain why this is (more?) unsafe then 2 cotton gloves?
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
I don't mind people "stealing" my ideas (I'm sure I didn't even come with this) don't worry Smile

I found the perfect method, now I need to get better gloves, I found the adress, just need to order those Smile
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
I would like to see these gloves could you post or pm the link
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
No link just an adress in france. They make those gloves for the army (you know those ceremony uniforms with nice white gloves)
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Société Anonyme des Gants Buscarlet
48 bd Sébastopol 75003 PARIS
+33 (0)1 42 74 34 78
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi redhead

My apologies if my post came accross as an attack, it wasn't intended that way, but it was badly worded. My mistake.

It just concerns me that people read opinions on what they could do to achieve an effect, and take those opinions as written, believing that the person writing them knows it to be safe.

that's the reason that I think it is more unsafe than two cotton gloves. Because the person probably won't actually try it with the cotton gloves (because it is clearly going to get you hurt), but might try it with the ones you mentioned (because they SOUND like they might just work, and they think the writer knows it will be ok). Does that make sense?

Anyway, again, sorry if it came across as an attack. It wasn't, honest Smile

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
No I understood but I guess I just thought they would be wise enought to know that A) no matter how you do it there is still a good chance of being burn B) that those gloves were better then just the cotton(witch is idotic).
Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.
P.S I sent you a PMs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Hands on fire (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL