The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Fender PD 150 or PD 250? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
365 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Hi Folks, I need your advice on this big purchase. I do a show that is about half music and half speaking. My typical shows are school, library and festival shows with an average of 200-350 people. Some are outdoors and some are indoors.

I have read much of the great advice here at the Café but here is my dilemma. From what I have read, a rule of thumb is that your PA should have about one watt for every person in the audience. Now I have also read people estimate that the 150 can play for anywhere from 100-500 people. The 250 would definitely meet my needs, but it might be overkill in some cases. My question is, without having to buy two sound systems, can't I just use a 250 at lower volume for smaller crowds? I would really like to avoid buying two sound systems. Thanks for any advice you can give.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don't see why not. Also consider the Yamaha Stagepas 300 which got rave reviews in comparison to the fender systems. Better in sound and price was the basic review.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Bill,
I purchased the PD250 and do exactly that with it. It is not a problem at all to do what you are suggesting.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bill, I have the PD-250 and rarely ever push it too hard. It is usually more that I need and then some. This is desirable though, because I always want to leave some headroom.

The only drawback to the 250 vs the 150 is that it weighs more. It is the same size, but heavier. Somewhere around 12 lbs. heavier I believe. For me, especially since I am a magician, lugging the extra weight is worth it for the added power.

I would suggest getting the PD series because they do sound much better than the P series. Not only that but the more efficient speakers will result in better throw and coverage. The PD series doesn't cost a whole lot more, and it is a better system.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I have used a PD-250 for about three years now and it has served me very well.

I also would much rather have a system of anykind that is slightly overpowered than underpowered.

I was at a Convention in Tuscon last month and John Shryock had a PD-250 Deluxe that had beautiful sound and lots of power. That was the system that was used for the all of the lectures and everything was crystal clear.

If you're going to buy the Fender system I would recommend the PD 250 Deluxe model. If not, then the Stagepas 300 as Frank mentioned, would also be an excellent choice.
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
365 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Thanks guys for the excellent information, you have confirmed what I was thinking. I guess my purchasing decision is made.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Yeah -- for outdoors and gyms, go with the 250. Its what I use.

CW
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Fender PD 150 or PD 250? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL