The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What is new? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dave
Now I know what trick you are talking about. The knife is an important part of this trick (hint, nudge, wink) and what you liked about it was Doug Hennings talent, because I bought it from Abbott, read the instructions, was not impressed, and threw it in my trunk.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
I wondered whether there has been anything fundamentally new in rope magic in the past few decades

Maybe not new to you, but its new to me, and I'm having fun with it! (but I can agree, I tend to see a lot of the same stuff)

In regard to the Hennings performance:
Quote:
It's the one where he had a long rope. Johnny and Ed held each end. Doug "cut" the rope and tied the ends together..

It *sounds* like a pretty good effect, I'm surprised at the "blah" responses. Does it provide a reasonable way to show the initial cut of the rope?, that would seem to be the most critical part to sell this routine. I would hope that for $42 they provide a good way to do this, but you guys seem to have had a negative impression of this.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
The Ching Ling Foo's Royal Tape Mystery(Tarbell V5 p277) is a similar effect, and uses a folded fan to do the dirty work.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The firt time I saw Doug Henning to this I was literally FLOORED. I was in front row of the theater and slipped out of the chair onto the floor.

This was the original version created by Paul Curry. It required two assistants to hole the ends of the rope. It was FAIRLY and REALLY cut where the spectator chose him to do the cut.

Pavel created his version, which was/is FAR EASIER to do and needs NO ASSISTANTS.

Stienmeyer created the one with the knife.

I have also a version with no special knife. Perhaps I will publish it in Genii soon. It requires little gimmicking, nothing like Pavel's, something you can do yourself in under a minute.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If I remember correctly, Doug Henning did the Paul Curry method on television. He also did the Jim Steinmeyer version on stage when he was here at his last performance and has his accident that put him in the hospital.

Paul Curry only sold a manuscript for the secret, noone has ever did this method to my knowledge, only Doug Henning.

The Steinmeyer version sold better and is more workable for the average magician that does not have a full crew to help with the show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What is new? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL