The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » One Liners for the Restaurant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicPresident
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of MagicPresident
Let's see how many we can accumulate that
relate to the restaurant. Maybe "ice breakers" to get a chance to perform table
side or jokes that fit standard tricks being
performed in a restaurant.
MAGIC HAPPENS !
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I do the standard, "The manager just found a wad of money in the parking lot with a rubber band around it. Do you know anything about it? "

Yes--- "Good, I found your rubberband."
No--- "Oh well, if you hear of anyone looking for it, please tell him I have their rubberband."

Then I go into CMH or whatever

Or, I just walk up and say; "Hi, how is everyone tonight? Any special occasion?" Most of the time they will say no. I lean in and say, "You're supposed to say you came to see me?" They will go, "Oh, we came to see you..." You then start the line all over again... "Any special occasion tonight?" - "We came to see you."

Or, you could say; "Hi everyone. How are you?" etc... "Hey, did you hear we have a magi here tonight? Oh yeah, he is really good... He is me!"

My favorite, is when someone drops a plate, you say that, the juggler... he's on next.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Flourish Dude,

No offence, but I hope that you do not really put someone down just to make yourself look good.

"my favorite is when someone drops a plate you say that the juggler he's on next."

This does NOT show class and you are using someone elses pain for your gain. Not very cool.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
When this happens, it is in the back or across the room. They don't know who dropped the plate. If they do it right in front of the table, of course I don't say that. It is very funny to hear this in the background and then to respond this way. When I say it, it never puts anyone down personally. I see your concern, but I did not state my line and its contents correctly. It is not meant to put anyone down nor does it. It is based on the sound, not watching the event. This does HAPPEN in restaurants and I think everyone knows it's an accident and I never point anyone out with it so there is no pain, just a impromptu funny one liner.
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Cool, I just get a little tired of people putting others down for their own gain. I have even been guilty of this in the past and I got to experience first hand how much it can hurt other people.

I see your point. No hard feelings I hope. Thanks for the clear up.

Corey B.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
You know you could add to it to make it more on yourself..

"That's the juggler, he's on next. Hahahah.. Actually, he's a lot better than me." Or, "You should have seen me try that. They almost had to go to paper plates."

Or if it happens right after you vanish something..
"It disappears....crash... and reappeared in his pocket..scared him to death."
Again, I would not do this if you saw the person drop the tray/plate.

A lot of times a small child will push a plate off the table and it is across the room. Like I said, go for the sound.
Thanks for making me clearing that up important point! Good Job.....Corey
www.magicalmemories.us
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
"Have they been ignoring you like I told them to?"
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
elushinz
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny Orlando
132 Posts

Profile of elushinz
When the table is obviously a little quite and no conversation is taking place... (obviously sarcastic) "Folks, do me a favor. I know it's Tuesday, just try to keep it down a little..."
Works for me.
"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be f@#d up."
Mitch Hedburg
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I recently bought Jon Allen's video, "Spectators Don't Exist" and he suggests a terrific line on it. When approaching a table, ask, "Is this the fun table?" I've been using this line lately, and it's the best opening I've ever used. It works wonderfully. BTW, the video is excellent - good advice and excellent magic. It is helping me out a lot!

Ron Reid
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
it is a good video for strolling/walk around.. Great CHM routine..
www.magicalmemories.us
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1711 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Ron,

I spent 9 years finding a suitable opener for tables and groups. I figured that rather than forging ahead with a magic trick, only to find out that the table weren't up for it; or jumping in with a 'fun guy' attitude, only to find the group were really saddos, the best thing to do is to ask if they are fun! It such a simple line but it's the best possible line you can use.

As I go into on the video, I find out a lot of information about the group and it's dynamics from asking the one question.

Glad you found the video useful and it's helped to start you off at the tables Smile
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Got to admit, that IS a good opening line Jon.

Paul.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Here is a line I just started using this last week and it has received the desired response.

If the spectator is not having a good time or reacting I will say,

"You know it is okay to smile?"

So far everyone I tried it on has smiled. Sometimes they just get so into the magic(trying to figure it out) they forget to enjoy themselves.

Corey B.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1711 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Thanks Paul!!!

I figured, why should I try and work out if they're fun when I could ask them!

If they're really not up for entertainemnt, I'll walk away. NO time wasting, no doing magic for people that don't want it or deserve it either.

My follow-up line suits my persona so it may not be for everyone. I say, "It's just that there's some entertainment here tonight and I can't be bothered if you're not fun!"

Trust me... it DOES work.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » One Liners for the Restaurant (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL