The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Svengali Pitch question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Quote:
What does your routine consist of? What tricks? How do you come to the bat? (close the sale) The way you come to the bat is more important than the tricks themselves.

I do 80% of Don's pitch. I have a problem with kids dirty hands on my nice clean cards. (I told one kid with an ice cream cone, "Gimme your clean hand." He put the cone in the other hand and gave me the sticky one! UGH!!) So I run the cards in both directions myself--SLOWLY, bending over the table so they can see them!! But the close, the 2-card Monte--all Don's demo. Have not done the "Larceny" close yet because, except for the LAST guy on Saturday, no one seems "on the fence". They either bought or left, (sometimes in the middle of the demo!)

All in all, as I said many times, TENACITY seems to be the key. That--and kids with CLEAN hands!!

Jon-O
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
The "Larceny" close is VERY strong. In my experience, it not only gives you a great kicker for the routine, it virtually guarantees sales because it is such an eye-popper. I use a table spread to show all the key cards, based upon a similar move in Mark Lewis' great booklet, "The Long and The Short of It." If you're interested in that and some other neat moves with a Svengali deck, click HERE for more info.

Don's opener is also great -- short, to the point, very visible and easily understood, and another great eye-popper. I have had people buy the deck right at that point on the strength of that effect alone. While people may not believe that the cards actually changed places, they have no clue as to how you managed to change the card that they were holding under their hand all the time.

It took me about 6 months to perfect a good DL for that opener, because I am a coin and a C&B person, not a card person, and there is no comparable sleight for coins or balls. But once I got the mechanics worked out, cleaned up my angles and could execute it quickly and smoothly, my DL's were and are now perfect about 95% of the time. Just takes a little practice (and the move is also easier with a Svengali Deck than with a straight deck).

FYI, S. David Walker's Svengali Deck DVD has a very nice bit with a DL that I also use for variety from time to time -- where you apparently produce the wrong chosen card, and then magically change it to the right one by rubbing it on your sleeve; it also gets great reactions (and sales). SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Frankly, I have the DL pretty down pretty well. I practiced it while waiting for people to come along (SOOO I had LOTS of time to practice!) I also have Mark Lewis's book, and while it is interesting and shows LOTS of tricks, I prefer Don's method to the LOOONG demo in the book. 3 tricks and either they buy or they don't. Then the Larceny if they don't. I AM having a hard time with the table spread but really don't need it with Don's method. All in all, I think that once I learn Don's method COMPLETELY and can handle the cards better, AND have a good location...everything will be fine.

Jon-O
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

There is a thread elswhere about the tables at Sam's. I looked at them closely yesterday. While they are 4' that fold to 2', cost only about $40 and LOOK very solid, the one on display was very wobbly and it did NOT even have the legs extended. That may not make a difference because you don't usually lean on the table but it really seemed kinda flimsy. Frankly, I want something more solid.

The tables I made (14 years ago!) are a 2' X 4' piece of 1" plywood, covered with white vinyl with a leg kit attached. I bought all the hardware parts at Builder's Square (and the vinyl at a fabric store) but I'm sure you can get them at Lowe's, Home Depot, HQ, etc. Even with the leg extensions (I use 22" of 1.25" PVC pipe on each leg when I sell wire strippers but no extensions for selling cards) feels much more solid. I would probably NOT use white for the vinyl color now, maybe red or black. But they are easy to build and cheap. Just doesn't fold in half, so not quite as convenient.

Don Driver's idea for building a table (in his DVD) is probably best but I already had my tables, so I used one of them. Get his DVD and you'll see what I mean. I especially liked his idea about fastening the screws.

Jon-O
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Jon-O, I have used the 4' folding Sam's table for over a year now with no problems, even had kids leaning on the table. While it is not quite as strong as the non-folding 4' version that they offer, it's still more than adequate for indoor use, in my experience.

I also have the Sam's 4' non-folding version, which I use for outdoor shows. It's a little heavier, but also more of a pain in the neck to cart around. The benefit to both of these tables is that they are lightweight, especially compared to the older pressboard folding tables, which seemed to weight a ton. Yet they are just as sturdy if not more so because of the thick plastic tops and steel framing. I carry a few small wood shims with me in case the floor isn't level, which happens sometimes.

No question that Don's pitch stand is the neatest of the bunch, with the built-in shelving and quick setup and knockdown. But not being a carpenter, I went for the Sam's tables and have been satisfied with them. SETH
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Hey, if it works, it works. I like the idea of folding to 2' square, so you can put it anywhere. I already have a van with all my strippers stuff (and the 4' tables) so the folding idea is not so important in that situation.

But I also have a '54 Studebaker Land Cruiser I'd like to show off and use for the shows near my home, INSTEAD of the van. So the Svengali cards together with the folding table idea appealed to me because everything would fit in the trunk, leaving nothing showing, as it does now with the van.

Maybe I just need to buy one and see if I like it. If I don't, well, it's only $40. Christmas is coming.....makes a great gift! (Where have I heard THAT one before?) ;-)

Jon-O
MagicMan11
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMan11
If you want to sell the trick. I would recomend to show all the cards as the same cards. This will fry them and they will really be interested in it. But when I am performing for my friends or people I don't know. I try not to change them all becuase it IS a dead give away. It all depends if I'm in the mood.

Art
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Showing them all the same is a very powerful part of the pitch. I strongly suggest you look at Don Driver's video on this.
MagicMan11
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMan11
I second what Mota said.
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Today I was at a gun show, selling the Svengali cards. Told one smarty to pick a # between 1 and 10. He chose 1. Obviously, couldn't do 1, so from then on I told them between 2 and 10.

Had I been using my head, would have told him, "I said BETWEEN 1 and 10". I guess we never think of those things some times.

I'm getting the pitch down better each show, I think. Even began doing the larceny bit. Mostly sold kids today...they just went and got the money from the folks. I was really surprised. Some even bought 2 sets, one for Christmas. Sold almost 2 boxes of cards today. I know it's not a lot for a pro but I'm coming along slowly.

One thing that irritates me is that the 2-card monte cards stop being slippery after about an hour of use. Don suggested using 2-3 sets in rotation but I'm wondinging if talcum or baby powder would help. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jon-O
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Jon...THINK

If they get smart and say ONE just do a DL right from the top of the deck and you got them.

I can't believe your having trouble with the two card monte sticking like they are.Go to a magic shop on line and find some fanning powder.

Keep up the good work.
Don
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-02 23:24, DonDriver wrote:
Jon...THINK

If they get smart and say ONE just do a DL right from the top of the deck and you got them.

I can't believe your having trouble with the two card monte sticking like they are.Go to a magic shop on line and find some fanning powder.

Keep up the good work.
Don

Well DUH! I guess I was so accustomed to counting them out on the table, I couldn't see the obvious. Well, there's always a next time. And I'll find the fanning powder. There are a couple of magic stores here in San Antonio.

Jon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2007-12-02 22:52, Jon-O the Great wrote:
Today I was at a gun show, selling the Svengali cards. Told one smarty to pick a # between 1 and 10. He chose 1. Obviously, couldn't do 1, so from then on I told them between 2 and 10.

Had I been using my head, would have told him, "I said BETWEEN 1 and 10". I guess we never think of those things some times. Jon-O

Hmmmmm, I think you're making this tougher than it needs to be.

My understanding of the way the "countdown" move goes is that if the spec picks an odd number, you just count to it and turn over that card, which will always be a key card and thus their selected card. On the other hand, if they pick an even number, you count down to that card and then turn over the NEXT card, which of course will also always be a key card. So regardless of what number they pick, you can always reveal the correct chosen card. It's the old "Magician's Choice" in a new suit; it shouldn't matter which number they choose. But if I'm missing something here, please let me know.

Although I think it's probably OK for someone to pick #1 and thus the top card, you can prevent that by telling them to pick a number between 5 and 15, of course making it sound like you just picked those numbers at random out of the air. And after I reveal the card, I always turn over the next card (which is always an indifferent card), saying something like "It's a good thing you didn't pick xxx number" (whatever the next number would have been). This indirectly shows them that all the cards are different, and in my mind, enhances the trick. SETH
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-02 22:52, Jon-O the Great wrote:

Had I been using my head, would have told him, "I said BETWEEN 1 and 10". I guess we never think of those things some times. Jon-O

Quote:
Hmmmmm, I think you're making this tougher than it needs to be.

Yep, I was. But I was so accustomed to doing the "lay down" that when I had NOTHING to "lay down", I was lost. As Don says, 'THINK'!! And actually I WAS thinking. At that instant, I was looking for a way to lay down "one" and still do the DL.

Quote:
My understanding of the way the "countdown" move goes is that if the spec picks an odd number, you just count to it and turn over that card, which will always be a key card and thus their selected card. On the other hand, if they pick an even number, you count down to that card and then turn over the NEXT card, which of course will also always be a key card. So regardless of what number they pick, you can always reveal the correct chosen card. It's the old "Magician's Choice" in a new suit; it shouldn't matter which number they choose. But if I'm missing something here, please let me know.

Nope--I was the one "missing" something. I won't say what it was but it was formerly in my head. ;-)

Quote:
Although I think it's probably OK for someone to pick #1 and thus the top card, you can prevent that by telling them to pick a number between 5 and 15, of course making it sound like you just picked those numbers at random out of the air. And after I reveal the card, I always turn over the next card (which is always an indifferent card), saying something like "It's a good thing you didn't pick xxx number" (whatever the next number would have been). This indirectly shows them that all the cards are different, and in my mind, enhances the trick. SETH

That's a great idea but, using Don's method, since I just put the "wrong" card back on top of the deck, that would't work in this situation.

Let's face it guys, I'm a virgin at this. Virgins gotta learn!

Jon-O
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Guys,

Now you have me lost.Seth on the count down you always do a DL and show "them" the WRONG card.You put the DL on the deck than thumb off the key card to them and say: "Here hold the (what ever card) we'll do a different trick" now they have the key card in their hand thinking its the other card.Have them look at it,they think the card changed in their handto their card.You always count down an odd amount to the table,than do a DL.

Don
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Yep. That was my prob. Since the dummy had said "one", I knew I couldn't put ANY cards on the table so I was lost. Didn't think of just doing the DL and going on with the trick, as Don suggested above. I'll do it next time. Don IS the pro!

By the way, when I do the 1st DL, if I take the top 2 cards off the deck and bend them toward my palm, a little, just prior to doing it, then put 'em back on the top of the deck, it's much easier for me. They almost jump into my hand.

Hey, it took me 14 years to learn to sell strippers! ;-) Gimme 14 years with the cards!

Jon-O
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Jon in a way its even better if the "wise guy" says one.You can say..."come on guy ONE ! Nobody ever says ONE !...but we'll try it...(do the DL) see I didn't think it would work..ok hold the (what ever card) we'll do a different trick...look at the card...I know its your card, SEE not even a smart A** like you can mess this deck up...

Does it put him down...I love it.

Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
OK, now I see where Jon-O is coming from -- using the "wrong card" bit -- and I also understand Don's solution. I think Don's way definitely has more punch to it, but also requires more skill. My DL's aren't that great so I try to minimize their use, and so went in a slightly different direction.

But the end result is the same, that by proper counting and spec management, you can always control the result and get to where you want to be. That's the beauty of the Svengali Deck. SETH
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-03 13:09, DonDriver wrote:
Jon in a way its even better if the "wise guy" says one.You can say..."come on guy ONE ! Nobody ever says ONE !...but we'll try it...(do the DL) see I didn't think it would work..ok hold the (what ever card) we'll do a different trick...look at the card...I know its your card, SEE not even a smart A** like you can mess this deck up...

Does it put him down...I love it.

Don

What a NEAT comeback!! That's why YOU'RE the pro and I'm the virgin!

Jon-O
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Seth,

The giving them "the wrong card" is really strong.When you tell them to look at (what ever card) they think they are holding and it becomes their card right in their hands,they jump.Its that strong.( they think the card changed right in their hand)Than without letting them catch their breath you do "all the same" You have them "GASED" after those two moves one right after the other.That sells them.

I explan it more in my DVD.Go back and look at it.

Work on your DL. its worth it.

Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Svengali Pitch question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL