The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dangerous Love (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
I've just received Nick Morton's "Dangerous Love" booktest.
http://www.nickmorton.com/dangerous.html

Some interesting ideas, but - "Looks just like a real novel"?]

Like the Kennedy book, it is laid out with blank lines between the paragraphs, so it looks like a business document, not a novel.

Could I propose a rule for book tests? They should only be designed by people who have actually READ a book?
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
OK, I have to post an update on this.
Nick Morton picked up on my criticism, and has completely relaid the book. It now definitely looks like a real novel.
His website gives you the details on what can be achieved; in brief - it contains two effects; neither requires much memory, and one has a fairly unique revea; those who know Chris Carter's book will probably be particularly interested. It is an interesting alternative to some of the standards, and reasonably priced; well worth looking into, particularly if you are the sort of performer who who wants to do their own thing; A Dangerous Love hasn't received the same publicity as some of the other booktest (maybe because it comes from Astralia?), and that to me is a good thing!
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
Hi,

As mentioned above, “A Dangerous Love” is now available commercially to the magic community (although it is already being used by some top mentalists!) I’m very proud of “A Dangerous Love.” It allows you to perform two great mentalism effects with the same book. In the first you have a spectator run their finger down the page to a word, which you then reveal. You don’t have to touch the book at any stage (and you don't need to know the page number). In the second effect you can force a word, which is the synonym of a word you already know. Best yet, “A Dangerous Love” looks just like an ordinary romance novel. It will withstand a casual inspection during the performance without anything being revealed, and certainly does not look like a “magic” prop.

“A Dangerous Love” adds a valuable weapon to your show. You can read all about it (and buy it if you like) from the website http://www.adangerouslove.com If you do buy, you also receive access to “The Dangerous Resource Page” that includes a full performing script you can download, links to relevant resources, etc.

Cheers,

Nick Morton
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
Hi,

As mentioned above, “A Dangerous Love” is now available commercially to the magic community (although it is already being used by some top mentalists!) I’m very proud of “A Dangerous Love.” It allows you to perform two great mentalism effects with the same book. In the first you have a spectator run their finger down the page to a word, which you then reveal. You don’t have to touch the book at any stage (and you don't need to know the page number). In the second effect you can force a word, which is the synonym of a word you already know. Best yet, “A Dangerous Love” looks just like an ordinary romance novel. It will withstand a casual inspection during the performance without anything being revealed, and certainly does not look like a “magic” prop.

“A Dangerous Love” adds a valuable weapon to your show. You can read all about it (and buy it if you like) from the website http://www.adangerouslove.com If you do buy, you also receive access to “The Dangerous Resource Page” that includes a full performing script you can download, links to relevant resources, etc.

Cheers,

Nick Morton
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
'although it is already being used by some top mentalists!'

Care to name any names bud? Not to pick on you, but every new mentalism product states that, it's such a broad term!

Cheers

Gary
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
Sure,

I have permission from Chuck Hickok and Charles Gauci to use their names in advertising, they use it and you can read their comments at the site. The book test was originally released exclusively through the PEA forum, and was bought by many of the members, although obviously I cannot say who without their permission.

The book actually evolved from Chuck Hickok's work, if you know his "Books Galore" routine "A Dangerous Love" fits perfect into it, or can be used stand alone of course. If you don't you should check out "Mentalism Incorporated 1 & 2" as they are great books that contain much real world commercial mentalism.

The point I was trying to make is that it's not an armchair method that has never been tested in the real world. "A Dangerous Love" gets a great reaction from real spectators.

Regards,

Nick
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Please tell me that isn't one the actual book cover looks like.
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
Hi Gary,

You can also add Richard Osterlind to the list, he says "A Dangerous Love is excellent. I highly recommend it!"

Cheers,

Nick
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
I have been using Dangerous Love in my Stand Up work for a couple of months now. I can say without any hint of doubt that it is one of the most commercial book tests available. It is direct and to the point.

One can be as theatrical or (because of the subtle nature of the gimmick) as low key as one wishes in routining this effect. The method is so simplistic that one can concentrate entirely on presentation without worring about too much memory work or technicality.

The book is also very slim and although quite tall can still fit snugly into your bag or table. I actually have an inside pocket which is wide enough and can also use it in roving situations. because it is slim it could even be held under the coat stuck down the back of the pants (if that will work for you.) What I am saying is that the slim nature would not create a suspicious Richard III style lump behind you. As mentioned earlier it also looks like a real book which means it can be pre set on anyone's home bookshelf without attracting too much negative attention. This is very beneficial for the hobbyists among you as the justification of props is sometimes very important in that area of magic. DANGEROUS LOVE is also examinable, one thing that cannot be said for many booktests, and even though the instructions are embedded into the book itself (which is a very clever idea BTW) they are still very cleverly disguised and hidden away from the laypersons gaze.

This is the sort of product that can be enjoyed by hard mentalists and magicians alike. Those guys who are looking to add one mind reading item to their work will also get a tremendous amount from this.

Give this product a try today. It is very commercial and will work for you.

Dean Atkinson
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
Thanks Dean for a great review,

Just to clear up one point - I got the idea of including the instructions for the book test in the back of the book itself from Becker and Earles "Double Vision." It seems the perfect idea to me, the spectators never notice them, and you will never lose them!!

Regards.

Nick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dangerous Love (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL