The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Dad Stevens Riffle Cull (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PapaG
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of PapaG
I'm looking for a description of the Stevens Cull. I know that this cull was written up in 'Revelations', unfortunately I don't have a copy and it's long OOP.

I was informed that there maybe a scant description in 'The Classic Magic Of Larry Jennings', can somone offer some clues as to where it may be found, or indeed information on the cull itself....
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi PapaG,

The best descriptions I know of are in Andrew Wimhursts 'Down Under Deals' and in Steve Ehlers new DVD available at this web address...www.azcardexpert.com. The description in both Revelations and The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings are flawed.
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul H
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I don't think that the text in Revelations is flawed because that was the book that got me doing culls and shuffles with block transfers. I also use the triumph shuffle to cull cards with a tabled Hindu shuffle.

Another cool thing about the Steven's cull is that it works well with Marlo's simple shift. The four aces are placed into different parts of the deck - do the shift and then use the Stevens cull to get them to the top in one shuffle.'

This idea also works well with the old age card control out of the card magic of LePaul.

Later!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Glenn,

Its good to have you back on the boards again after what seems like a short break. I had the feeling you might have been on tour recently but its just conjecture on my part. Sadly, I do not own a copy of Revelations and so I am dependent on the views of others. Certainly, in the Jennings 'Classic Magic' book the Stevens is described with a small but important detail in the handling that seems to me to be incorrect. This detail has the jog created on the outer long edge of the deck facing the spectators whereas the correct place for the jog is on the inner long edge facing the performer. You are in a much better position than I to assess whether this handling is also described in Revelations and your views would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Paul H
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Hey Paul H

Great to talk with you again. I am in and out of the café lately, I don’t have much to say that I have not already talked about. My point of view with the book Revelations is that with every written text there is some experimentation that has to go along with it. When Dad Stevens came up with the move and then later on showed it to Dai Vernon as the story goes.

It was now going to be learned and then later explained by Dai Vernon so what we could have gotten was Vernon's interpretation of the Stevens cull. But still now take Dai Vernon's interpretation of the Stevens cull and explain it to others so they can write it up in a book.

It was really to bad that when they published Revelations that they did not explain the Stevens cull with enough text and go into the many variations and uses this cull can have in magic. I think the reason is - like the punch and the short card, is that they (The top card men of the day) do not want other's in magic to know how good the idea was.

It is the kind of thing that I know Jim Ryan used a short card. He would not admit this to magicians because there are magicians that would think less of him using the short card. The point is that Jim Ryan was an entertainer and he liked the fact that the short card meant brakeless card magic. or card control without a break and to his point. The lay audience did not care and it made magic for the lay audience that much more amazing.

Malini used a hooked coin to do some amazing coin vanishes.

The audience doesn't care. Only the magicians care about the method and judge the methods used by other magicians. I guess I am a little strange but I feel that the method is not that important and the effect is more important than the method to get to the effect.

But getting back to the Stevens cull in Revelations the explanation and text worked for me and I worked out a lot of ideas from that one text description. There are a lot of ways to do it but no "THE WAY". As there are a lot of ways to get a card to the top. Use them all or whatever worked for you and others is my best advice.

I hope you are well Paul H.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
It is all true but Erdnase never was produced for magicians, it was more for gambling, and using in actuall games.
Pavlo
MrMagi
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of MrMagi
I think Martin Nash explains this in one of his books? Not too sure which though. I'll see if I can dig it out.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-10-12 10:34, Pavloter wrote:
It is all true but Erdnase never was produced for magicians, it was more for gambling, and using in actuall games.

That's not true.

Clearly one of ideas was to sell the book to magicians. I don't see how there can be any doubt about that. Right in the preface the author writes about the book that "as a basis of card entertainment it is practically inexhaustible."

As a basis of card entertainment.

Not to mention the fact that there is an entire section entitled "Legerdemain" that does not address the gambler and actually contains valuable advice for magicians. And of course a big section of "Card Tricks" complete with patter.

I'm pretty sure the author didn't write up effects like "The Exclusive Coterie", "The Card and Hat" or "The Acrobatic Jacks" so that crossroaders could do tricks for their marks at the cardtable.

At least half of "The Expert at the Cardtable" was ABSOLUTELY produced with magicians in mind. I'm assuming that was done to broaden the appeal and sell more books. As the author needed the money.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Dad Stevens Riffle Cull (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL