The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tables for Table Hopping (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Midwest_Magicians
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Midwest_Magicians
Does anyone bring a little portable magicians table to do magic on while in the restaurant or do you just use the diners table?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Use the dinner table.

You don't need to clutter the crowded restaurant any more with your stuff.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Midwest_Magicians
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Midwest_Magicians
Okay thank you for your response.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Frankly I will not carry or perform any trick/routine that requires a tabletop. I leave those at home. The couple of restaurants that I tend to work are too busy and too crowded for me to add even a small table. Many people don’t want your nasty props on their eating space (yes I know that they are spotlessly clean but it is about perception of the customer)!

I tend to keep it simple, magical, fun and off the table!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Quote:
On 2006-06-13 15:20, Harry Murphy wrote:
Frankly I will not carry or perform any trick/routine that requires a tabletop. I leave those at home. The couple of restaurants that I tend to work are too busy and too crowded for me to add even a small table. Many people don’t want your nasty props on their eating space (yes I know that they are spotlessly clean but it is about perception of the customer)!

I tend to keep it simple, magical, fun and off the table!

Very good advice (Thanks Harry!)

The only thing that I will add that goes against this: I love to perform "Coin Squeeze" and specs LOVE it...So, I use an unfolded paper napkin (from the restaurant)as a close-up pad...

This not only dampens the sound nicely, it also 'protects' the table top from my nasty props...LOL

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Good move that one! Using the available napkin as a close-up pad then disposing of it as you finish your set is a great idea. One less thing to carry (close up pad)!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Yeah Harry, I thought so too...

It's free (the restaurant doesn't care, truly); there are PLENTY of them around; and like I pointed out, it gives the Illusion (fancy that) of keeping their dining area clean and protected...

And like you so kindly pointed out, one less thing to have to worry about carrying around!

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Royston South
View Profile
Regular user
Jersey Channel Islands
137 Posts

Profile of Royston South
Quote:
On 2006-06-13 03:36, Midwest_Magicians wrote:
Does anyone bring a little portable magicians table to do magic on while in the restaurant or do you just use the diners table?

Yes I use a portable table most of the time in my restaurant work, use what works for you, a table works for me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roystonsouth Click on close-up magic and see my table in action.

Best of luck in finding what works for you.

Royston
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I think this forum wanted to know if you use a Close-Up type Table right at your clients table. As far as the pictures show I can see where no table is used at all. People want to know if you use one right at the customers table where they are eating.
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As I said, most restaurants have space at a premium. There is NO reason to clutter up the place with your table. No matter how small. It still requires space for you as well as for your table. You will be in the way.

I thought I was pretty clear.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Royston South
View Profile
Regular user
Jersey Channel Islands
137 Posts

Profile of Royston South
Quote:
On 2006-06-14 16:05, First Class Magician wrote:
I think this forum wanted to know if you use a Close-Up type Table right at your clients table. As far as the pictures show I can see where no table is used at all. People want to know if you use one right at the customers table where they are eating.

Hi First Class Magician,

Midwest_Magicians - asked

Yes I do use a little portable magiains table and there is about 6 photos of me using the table, I use it at the dinners table.

I hope this helps Midwest Magicians original question.

All the best

Royston
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I chose to not use neither a close-up table neither the customer's table. I only work out of my pockets and in-the-hands, sometimes spectator's hands. I try not to use their hands as a table, but only when an effect is happening, therefore strenghtening it.
My choice.
Jonathan.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2006-06-14 17:14, Dannydoyle wrote:
As I said, most restaurants have space at a premium. There is NO reason to clutter up the place with your table. No matter how small. It still requires space for you as well as for your table. You will be in the way.

I thought I was pretty clear.

Danny,

I appreciate your OPINION, but that's all it is. Your statement of "I thought I was pretty clear" seems to imply that your opinion is THE way everyone MUST perform. I happen to agree with your opinion; I do not use a table either, but that doesn't mean it's wrong or even a bad idea to do so. Royston seems to be having good success with it in some very crowded venues.
Craig Kyle
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Craig Kyle
I use a small table that I use where I bracket it onto the table. It takes about 45 seconds to screw it on and I patter during this.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I also use a small table that simply clips to the side of the dining table rather like a carhop's tray. Slip on, pull off. In no ay impedes server access to the table and it only uses 5" of the dining table space...so I don't have to move anything on their table to use it. Provides a mat surface with a rear servante to easily ditch coins, cards and such. I love doing a modified version of Carl Andrews' Cups & Balls and various coin routines. Having this little table gives me a great, clean, act-friendly surface for these things. Shawn Gray's Ohio-based House of Magic used to make these. Not sure whether he still does.

Table or no table...It's a matter of taste and opinion. To each their own...

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tables for Table Hopping (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL