The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Good video for learning the Ambitious Card? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
If you are beginner in card and want to start doing an Ambitious Card routine then OZ Born to Perform is a great start. If you already know some versions and wants to learn more then Daryl's DVD is the answer.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
joegow
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of joegow
I just got daryls, like everyone else, it does the trick, pardon the pun
skyh
View Profile
New user
Berkeley, CA
53 Posts

Profile of skyh
I liked Crash Course 2 - sounds like I should get Datyl's as well ...
Sky
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
264 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
For the complete & various moves of ACR try Daryl, but for psychological thing,good misdirection, and good performance try Tommy Wonder (Vision of wonder series)
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
I'd say go with Daryl any day of the week and twice on Sunday, but... the DVD lacks two things that would make it perfect.

1) The lack of closers. There are a couple of ideas for closers that are good (the pop-up card, the revelation of a contrasting forcing deck, etc.), but the only really masterful stuff is using Daryl's Ultimate Ambition. It's a good trick, but I'm not a big fan of using other magicians' signature pieces and trying to pass them off as my own.

2) Lack of instruction on the pass. You can do a great ACR without the pass, certainly, but it's such a powerful tool that can add so much to the routine. Daryl's avoided bringing it in by design for his own personal, philosophical reasons. If you already know the pass, this criticism won't really matter to you.

For closers you can probably research various card-to-impossible-location effects (box, wallet, etc.). To make up for not learning about the pass, you can check out Richard Kaufmann's DVD On The Pass.

In any case, it may not be the perfect DVD, but it's very close, and much closer than anything else out there.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Sorry, that should read "climax", not "closer".
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 18:42, Memory-Jah wrote:
The best is defenately: crash course vol.2 by ellusionist. yes yes, most magicians doesn't like ellusionist, nonetheless itis by far the best. but I agree with the others too. darly's video is also absolutely great! I recommend both verry highly. on a scale from 1-10 crash course vol.2 is 1, and daryl is 2. so it is not such ab ig difference.
crash course has alooot real people stuff, veryyy etailed description for moves and so on. brad is a very good teacher for this. in addition you get a great lesson for the push off dl and so on and so on. he even got caught on time and handles it great.
one big point for daryl: he teaches a nice packet switch. and he has a killer ending for ac ending, but it reqires a gimmick which doesn't come with the dvd and must be purchased seperately.

have fun!

Jah

p.s. no, crash course 1 is not about ac!

is this some kind of joke? do not learn ambitious from ellusionist- do ur self a favor. get daryls ambitious or check out Wesley James book Enchantments for some great tips on the Ambitious card routine.
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Many pro's learned from Daryl's book and the his DVD is incredible.

Tommy Wonder's version on his L&L DVD gets high marks as he explains it's really Vernon's rotuine he's doing and goes in depth about it.

If you have solid cards skills, then Tommy's is a very good way to go.

And..Harry Lorayne does hid version on his L&L DVD set and he has some great moves. I actually added a move of his and I never thought I'd change the way I did my rotuine. Harry is quite entertaining on the entire project. You can't help, just like the audience, falling in love with him.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2006-10-18 01:20, crdshark86 wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-15 18:42, Memory-Jah wrote:
The best is defenately: crash course vol.2 by ellusionist. yes yes, most magicians doesn't like ellusionist, nonetheless itis by far the best. but I agree with the others too. darly's video is also absolutely great! I recommend both verry highly. on a scale from 1-10 crash course vol.2 is 1, and daryl is 2. so it is not such ab ig difference.
crash course has alooot real people stuff, veryyy etailed description for moves and so on. brad is a very good teacher for this. in addition you get a great lesson for the push off dl and so on and so on. he even got caught on time and handles it great.
one big point for daryl: he teaches a nice packet switch. and he has a killer ending for ac ending, but it reqires a gimmick which doesn't come with the dvd and must be purchased seperately.

have fun!

Jah

p.s. no, crash course 1 is not about ac!

is this some kind of joke? do not learn ambitious from ellusionist- do ur self a favor. get daryls ambitious or check out Wesley James book Enchantments for some great tips on the Ambitious card routine.

I realize this is an old thread, but having just watched Crash Course 2 for the first time last night (Ambitioux), I have to say that it's a great DVD. Christian does an excellent job teaching the moves, and is especially clear on the push-off DL. I like Daryl's DVD as well, and even have his book, but Christian does a fine job of teaching some great moves slowly and patiently. He teaches alternate handlings for some moves, and clearly explains why he prefers the versions that he does.

He also credits his sources with enthusiasm and obvious admiration - which came as a pleasant surprise, given some of the comments that have been posted about his company.

The live performance segments are notable for the fact that mistakes and unforeseen events were left in (there aren't many, and they aren't particularly serious), and Christian discusses them in a voice-over and tells how he handled the situation in order to keep the routine going. These segments nicely complement some of the tips he goes over in the studio concerning audience management and general performance strategies. It's obvious that these are real performances for real people - some of whom react, some not so much - and I personally found this approach much more useful than the L&L format of exaggerated hysteria from studio audiences.

All in all, it's a very worthwhile purchase, even if you already have Daryl's DVD and some of the other countless books and DVDs that include versions of the routine.

As a side note, Christian demonstrates a jiggle pass that has to be one of the best I've ever seen. Doesn't explain it on the DVD (refers you to Ninja, instead) but it looks near perfect from the angle on the video.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Extremely Ambitious By Jay Sankey.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Here's a review page fro Jay's Extremely Ambitious DVD:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
In addition to Daryl's, Steve Draun's is great, and recently I've been having fun with The Mike Skinner routine, Tabled Ambitious, from his Professional Close-up series.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
A recent DVD that should be looked at is John Armstrong's Strong Card Magic,Vol. 1. He has interesting take on the routine, and why he doesn't do it much anymore. However, I still think Daryl's is the seminal work on the subject.

John
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Daryl and Crash Course by Brad Christian.
oldi
View Profile
New user
switzerland
92 Posts

Profile of oldi
The Ambitious Card: World Greatest Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Good video for learning the Ambitious Card? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL