The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Criss is getting screwed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
I was searching on Ares, a file sharing program, where you can download Criss Angel's Masterminds DVD's vol. 1 & 2 for FREE. FREE! Criss is getting screwed over, plus movie companies everywhere, in a couple of hours I'll own superman 6, it's sad knowing that bootleggers will go as far to sneak into the magic community and steal secrets, pretty soon quarter through soda can, which I bought, and Criss's levitation will be about as good as Rob Stiff's Balducci Levitation VHS.ugggh
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
You don't like it but yet you are stealing the Superman movie? What kind of sense does this make?
magicpro212
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of magicpro212
Owned!!!!
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Chances are it wasn't "bootleggers" that put Masterminds online, but simply a disillusioned, young "wannabe." When he got the DVD he was probably disappointed, ripped the DVD, and put it online...to get his own poetic justice. Now Superman Returns on the other hand, THAT is the result of Bootleggers...some of them very good. There are places that you can see images of different bootlegs, and I must say bootlegs' have really raised in video quality in the last decade...I can't speak on their audio since I've only seen still pictures taken by those willing to get download/buy the bootlegs. Good luck dealing with the MPAA. Smile

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
448 Posts

Profile of johnra
Honestly I don't think Criss really cares. I mean yes he cares but people downloading his material isn't the end of the world to him. The videos and DVDs and stuff is only a small piece of the pie. He Has DVDs wear ables CDs a TV show his own show in New York (well he did Im not sure if he still maintains that) so you see that for him getting a few DVDs stolen from him isn't that big of a deal. Hes not really getting screwed over if he has enough money for half the stuff he does on TV. So id say hes only out a couple of thousand dollars the magic population is a small community. Also to be honest again hes really not out any money who ever bought it and ripped it payed for it then someone like yourself finds and and takes the time to download it but Criss doesn't lose anything he just doesn't gain that persons money.
John
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1651 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2006-06-16 01:44, Micheal Leath wrote:
You don't like it but yet you are stealing the Superman movie? What kind of sense does this make?

Exactly. I really don't get the point of the initial post in this thread. Is it meant to be a joke?

....Criss is getting screwed over, plus movie companies everywhere, in a couple of hours I'll own superman 6, it's sad knowing that bootleggers will go as far to sneak into the magic community and steal secrets, pretty soon quarter through soda can, which I bought,.....

He complains that movie companies are being "screwed over", and in the same sentence he says that he's doing the screwing.

He complains that he paid money for Quarter through Soda Can yet others are getting it for free. And so the people who'll pay money for Superman 6 which he's got for nothing will presumably be equally disgusted with him?

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
448 Posts

Profile of johnra
Exactly Dave.
John
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
When secrets come too easily, people learn not to respect the secrets.

- entity
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Oh Yeah. And when you justify it by saying things like

"people downloading his material isn't the end of the world to him. The videos and DVDs and stuff is only a small piece of the pie."

"Hes not really getting screwed over if he has enough money for half the stuff he does on TV."

And

"to be honest again hes really not out any money who ever bought it and ripped it payed for it then someone like yourself finds and and takes the time to download it but Criss doesn't lose anything he just doesn't gain that persons money."

Well then, why not steal it? If you can sell yourself that bill of goods you can feel pretty good about the whole thing.

Are you still writing that book johnra? You won't mind if buy a copy and plaster it everywhere I possibly can will you?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The upload of mass market materials is a simple fact of life. It's the price of "fame" in a market of commodities. For all the ones sold on official channels, there will be some taken as "review copies". If you have a quality product, self respecting people will see it and go buy it anyway.

In magic we have a closely related problem. If you choose to respect secrets you will keep secrets. Putting out mass media is not a good way to keep and protect a secret.

If you want to go mass market you will find your material up for grabs on the internet.

Get used to it. It is simply the way things are.

To those who upload I ask a simple question: What specifically is your motive for posting material online? Are you acting on a social or political agenda? What do you wish to accomplish?

As to the thread starter who bemoans finding a couple of magic DVDs online then goes ahead and pulls down a work print of "Superman Returns"... gee guy pick a side. If you want free access, enjoy it. If you feel such is wrong for you, then stay out of those sites (piratesbay.org for example) and please don't ask others to take a side for you while you act on both sides of the issue. Pick a side yourself. From that choice others can at least respect your choice.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2451 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Well, at his age, this is what he knows. This may be why he posted an "on the fence " post. He is in the Need it, want it , have it now generation. The internet and technology has helped create this. All we can do is be understanding and point him in another direction. OR Maybe he would rather have free access?
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Okay, just to let Montethrower know; according to websites that track nearly every major bootlegged movie online at this moment, they say that there hasn't been any leaked copy of Superman yet, so don't be surprised if you only end up with a trailer or, worse yet, a virus. If you are going to take risks like that, be careful.

If it ends up being the Superman movie, let us know if it's any good. Smile

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
448 Posts

Profile of johnra
Im just saying that a few Dvds are not really affecting criss hes still got the TV show and everything. I don't rip dvds I buy what I can when I can and I put them on my shelf when I'm done watching them. I refer back to them from time to time and still have gotten all the knowledge I can from the As I Recall DVDs.
John
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
253 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
While the hypocrisy of the original post is oddly sad and ammusing at the same time, I have the same question as Nick....Was the Superman movie any good? (The early previews didn't look very good but a preview on T.V. last night made it look outstanding...)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-06-16 18:14, johnra wrote:
Im just saying that a few Dvds are not really affecting criss ...

John, the notions of "right" and "wrong" are matters of principle.

The harm need not be direct or immediate. The question is simply one of choosing a principle to guide your actions.

Some of us see all sorts of things yet buy any item we wish to explore and/or use. Others are indifferent to copyright. Each gets to make their own choices.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Criss getting screwed?? I'll trade incomes with him, then we'll see who's getting screwed.

Jim
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Short and simple. Angels people were contacted with the opportunity to have the levitation exposure removed from various websites and their response was ....NIL! Doesn't sound like they are two worried about it. I wouldn't call that " getting screwed"

Best,

Tim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Tim, once that clip went on the internet it was cached by servers and on viewer's PCs and COULD NOT be contained even if Criss asked and the original posters complied with the request.

On the good side, we do have a shot at true freedom of information and communication unfettered which is one of the basic tenets of our society (look at first admendment to the US constitution as this is truly political speech).
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
448 Posts

Profile of johnra
Jonathan you are right I think it is wrong people are doing this but in my case this is a little hypicritical My dad used to do that and I thought it was cool now that I understand what is going on I think its hurting the magic community now that anyone with a downloading program can get these effects and DVDs in a mear hour or two without paying. I am on the buying and if you don't like it try to sell it to someone else side of the deal.
John
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-06-17 19:58, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Tim, once that clip went on the internet it was cached by servers and on viewer's PCs and COULD NOT be contained even if Criss asked and the original posters complied with the request.

Jonathan,

Many times I see " removed for copyright violation" in place of South Park videos and Family Guy videos posted on video sites. If someone really wants to get something removed they can. How many videos of that famous Paris Hilton tape got removed from such sites??? All of them. Er...ah...not that I ever tried to download it.....hmmm..

Best,

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Criss is getting screwed (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL