The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Linear or branch off ?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
I was wondering do you any of you guys branch of from your script when you are working , or do you adhere to a strict guidline . what I mean is this

when I perform usually I have a guidline or a trunk if you wish but its not a strict line , for I tend to branch off and improv , according to the reactions I get and what is hitting most at that particular performance . usually I prepare adlibs aswell for situations which might arise . stopping the show to offer a cough drop to someone always gets a good laugh

would like to hear about your expierences
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1296 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I always divert from the script. I play off the audience, I adlib alot. Sometimes I wish I was recording some of the adlibs so I could use them again. I love to fly by the seat of my pants. Sticking to the script is safe, but no fun.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Same toughts over here , sometimes tough I find myself wandering a bit too far from the script , and when I see it getting a bit too much risky , ill go back to the safety of the script . best way to memorize adlibs and have them come as second nature is to write them down after the show ( actually you find that you only remember the ones which got the largest and loudest reactions ) and every now and then just run tru the list mentaly to keep your mind sharp
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Or make it a habit to video every show.

A decent video camera can be found at pawnshops relatively cheap...Buy blank tapes in bulk (Sams, Cosco, etc)...Tape everything, label them, then use them for critique, show development, and of course reminding you of those jewels that pop out when you least expect it.

To anwswer the posters question: I tend to stict to my script as much as possible, but of course the audience drives diversions....

Plus, as we use children assistants in two tricks, their reactions and responses will provide wonderful lines:

Best one so far?

I asked a little boy his age, he said, "Seven"...
I asked him what grade he was going into, he said, "First...AGAIN...They held me back."

His frustration and delivery FLOORED the audience....I covered by telling him not to worry, cause now he will know everything.

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1296 Posts

Profile of nucinud
At my age, I am happy to remember the script (or most of it).
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
I don't even use a script... It's complete ad lib
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Dependant on how things are playing. If things are going well, and the laughs are coming, people are reacting well, I allow myself to wonder, adlib, and improvise. And just generally have fun.
However, you do get the occasional bad gig(usually a corporate gig for people who don't want to be there) and the jokes aren't hitting, and I'll just stick to tried and tested material, and get of quick. Followng the plan.
Nick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Linear or branch off ?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL