We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ball and Cone on Video/DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
the conjurer
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of the conjurer
Hi all-

The subject line says it all.

Anywhere I might find video and/or DVD that teaches "Cone and Ball" routines? Book suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks,

The Conjurer
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Dai vernon book of magic
Revelations video/DVD
aldo colombini cone-tact video/set

Tom Stone Deserting the Legion notes

Harry Riser - Feints and Tempts of Harry Riser book.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
This routine is difficult to comprehend, at least it is for me. Frank pretty much told you every source there is for this. I have them all except for the Riser book and I still haven't figured it out.

I heard that Vernon wasn't that happy with the routine either but Ganson wanted some "filler" for the book so they threw something together.

You'd probably do as well, or even better, using the basic steal/load methods taught and create your own routine. If I was a more creative sort, that's what I would have done. In the mean time I have the props decorating my bookshelf.

BTW, nobody makes better cones than Frank, but he's probably too humble to say so himself. As far as I know, Aldo's set now comes with Frank's cones.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
the conjurer
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of the conjurer
Thank you Dave and Frank. Looks like you made short order of that question. Dave I am aware of the quality products produced and sold by Frank, but thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers,

The Conjurer
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I attended the $1000 lecture that Dai Vernon did. He was not happy with the Ganson description, because Ganson ovecomplicated it. He said that he told Lewis that when you do the "move," you th--- p--- the ball. Ganson replied, "You can't th--- p--- a billiard ball."

So he said, "Yes you can," and he did it.

Vernon used a fairly decent sized billiard ball when he did this. It was not thrown together for the book. He had used it in the Harlequin act.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I see now I could have phrased it better. When I said it was thrown together, I was talking about the Ganson rewrite, not that Vernon hadn't done it before. Sorry for any confusion.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The interesting thing about the routine was that it lay almost completely dormant until that tour. However, once Vernon taught it correctly, many people started doing it.

Before then, though, Gary Wolfsberger came out with his ball and cone routine, which was done with a solid wooden cone.

If you can find it, you should get it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Wouldn't Kaps stand-up routine with the bubble fit this posts requests for DVD examples? If so, it would be on the new "Seeing Is Believing" DVD.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just recently re-read Tom Stone's routine. It's really great.
His material is well worth acquiring.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Torkova has a very nice routine that was sold as a video & booklet combination. Difficult to find now, though.

In addition to the suggestions above, Senor Mardo also published a ball & cone routine in his booklet on the cups and balls (called 'The Cups and Balls').
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
My hands are trembling as I type this. I am about to disagree with Bill Palmer on a ball and cover issue. I just watched the part of Revelations in which Vernon does state the routine that he submitted for the Ganson book was thrown together.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That's not exactly what Bill said, or what I tried to say (badly) the first time. Bill's full sentence was
Quote:
It was not thrown together for the book. He had used it in the Harlequin act.

Yes, Ganson wanted some last minute filler for the book. Vernon had done this routine for a long time. Ganson didn't like the explanation, so what I meant by "thrown together" was that it was modified to suit Ganson's belief that it couldn't be done the way Vernon described it. This was a specialized piece for his Harlequin act, and he relied a lot on costuming for cover. That's probably why Ganson did what he did when he rewrote it to try and suit a more modern performer.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

I understand what you're saying, and will rewatch what I did last night. But my take on what Vernon said, was that Vernon had made up a routine that was different than his Harlequin piece, that he had thrown together before Ganson wrote it up. (where's Mike Doogan when I need him?)

It's a silly argument that I shouldn't choose to fight, but here it is.

Whatever the story is, we all agree the Ganson write up is lacking. It's funny that I was drawn to that routine immediately, but started rewriting it as soon as I started working on it. The '3' ball trick, however, I do phase for phase.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

OK. I heard it straight from the professor's mouth. Ganson wanted more material and asked Vernon about the Ball & Cone from the Harlequin act. Vernon felt the routine didn't work without the costume, his felt hat (the cone), and make up. So I quote:

"So in about an hour, I made up a very bad routine which appeared in there." -Dai Vernon

For all the times that Bill has correctly pointed out that I was wrong about something, I will do a little Rocky dance over this. Smile

BTW he fact that I was right about something that Dave backed off of is no unnoticed accomplishment as well. We just don't have the history. Smile Smile Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
A few points to clarify:
I didn't see it, but think it was more of a "skullcap" not a cone hat. It had a depression where he could rest the cone on top with the ball inside. One nod of his head would drop the cone into his hands, a second nod would drop the ball. He described this in the Revelations tape.

The line you quoted about him putting a rather bad routine together in an hour was pretty much what I was going on when I first said "thrown together"

Since Bill was there "in person" with Vernon during a lecture, I still give Bill's account a bit more credence than the one video that you and I saw of a rather rambling old man made years later trying to get his story straight.

Happy dance with me if you like, I just hope you have steel toed shoes, because I'm a lousy dance partner.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Has anyone explored this in context of a chop cup type routine? IE using the chop principle, the spin vanish and the scarf all in one?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
While not exactly the same thing-swoger did a routine with a small hat in enchanted ball manipulation that I use my small chop cup with since small plastic hats are quite hard to find.

dug
Deckless Wonder
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Pinching the cone is kinda like the chop principle, and a scarf is used in the routine. By "the spin vanish" are you referring to a wand spin? Introducing a wand seems a bit cumbersome. Can you spin a cone?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I was thinking about the wand. I saw Vernon do the vanish with a decent sized ball and was impressed.

The chop thing could come when you lift the cone looking for the ball after it vanishes, and after trying to tease it out of the scarf.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Vernon's standards for a routine are undoubtedly much higher than ours, in most cases. The Ball, Cone and Handkerchief only occupies twelve pages in The Dai Vernon Book of Magic. The routine, itself, was basically ignored until Vernon did his $1000 lecture tour. With the exception of Wolfsberger's solid cone routine, most people had nothing at all to do with it.

When Vernon did his routine as performed in the lecture, it was actually fairly simple and straightforward. So, if, as he says on the videos, it was thrown together in Ganson's studio or home, it certainly became polished by the time the lecture tour started.

I think the alchemical explanation of it in the book may have been part of what was "thrown together."

It was actually only about the time of that lecture that the plethora of leather cones began to make their appearance. I even made a few of them for friends of mine, but they were nothing like the ones Presley made. Presley's cones were very stiff, so gripping the ball through the cone was very difficult with them. Also, they were much smaller than what Vernon used.

Vernon used a 2 1/8" ball.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ball and Cone on Video/DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL