The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Lots of sponge balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
I did a quick bit of searching and didn't turn up anything. Still I appologize if this is a repeat post.

I've been working on a sponge ball routine that climaxes with a lot of sponge balls appearing in the spectator's hand (at least a dozen).

I've seen Eugene Burger do this successfully with 24 1" balls (that's where I got the idea). Right now I can steal the balls from my pocket quite comfortably, but I'm worried about the spectator being able to close their hand around that many balls so that they're hidden.

I was wondering if anyone has done this in performance and has any advice. In particular, do you leave out some of the balls when the person has small hands? Did you start small (10 or 12) and then work your way up to a large number? Do you do something special with the balls that makes it easier to compress them in the hand?

Thanks in advance
James
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
One thing that is important is the words. While handing the spectator the multiple amount of balls say, "put this one in you hand." Don't say, "hold this" or "put this on your." I always put a little presure on the outside of the spectators fingers, helping close their hand.

Just becaus Eugene uses 24 does not mean you should use the same amount. Be yourself. Use what ever makes you comfortable.

Try searching for a video/DVD for more tips. Goshman has a good video. Patrick Paige's is good also.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Patrick Page's video is good, but does not feature any multiple ball ending routines.

I have wanted to end with this climax as well, for a while. I have experimented a little bit on my own, and have managed to load about eight balls into a child's hand during a kid's show. The balls I used were a variety of colors and 1-2" in size. I used super soft sponge balls.

While I was able to pull it off and the reaction was incredible, I was not happy with the overall results. My load of the balls was a bit awkward and forced. The kid's hand was small, and I would have rather done all 1" balls. Stealing the bunch of balls from my pocket was not as smooth as I would have liked either.

Also, while the reaction was GREAT, it did result in every kid in the audience lunging for the balls as they popped out of the volunteer's hand. Took a minute to get each ball back from each child!

I have multiple booklets, videos, and books, that are either specific to sponge work, or have sponge ball routines in them somewhere - yet I still have not found a source that has any info on the multiple ball ending. I'll be curious to see some more replies on this thread.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The earliest version of this sort of thing was Dr. Jaks' Multiball. Later, Tenyo released "Rabbits, Rabbits, Rabbits." If you cnn find the Multiball manuscript, it will give you more insight than you could imagine.

Use 1/2 inch balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I use the small tiny sponge balls -- I guess they are <= 1/2 inch. I also load them with two larger sponge balls
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Don't worry about trying to get all the balls into the spec's hand. The key finesse is to use a different spectator for the multiload. That is, the first spec already knows what the balls feel like, so the multiload will feel different. If you choose a different spec for the final load, then the difference won't be noticed.
Harold Cataquet
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
You can pinch through the sides and tear the centers, this makes them squishier.

BTW my spellcheck allowed squishier.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5738 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Dick Stoner has a great routine on one of his videos. I've performed it for years!

He used 20 - 2" super soft sponges for adult audiences. I found it difficult to make the steal as smoothly as I liked, with that many of that size. I load 12 - 1 1/2" super softs and that works great, even in a child's hand. I wouldn't have a toddler help out, for a variety of reasons, though.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Where can I get 2 bags of fifty? I am working on a similar ending...

Comedy Writer
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I think I heard Frank Starsini gets his in bags of 50. Either you can get some from him, or maybe he can suggest a source.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
506 Posts

Profile of JJP161
David Groves has a routine called Sponge Balls A Million that climaxes with a bunch of sponge balls in the spectator's hands. I've never performed the routine but have seen it done and it is a really nice routine with a great climax.
massive_hair
View Profile
New user
Cambridge
5 Posts

Profile of massive_hair
I've always felt under pressure whenever I do a multi-ball load, but I found it helped me to do it at the end of a "how many balls are in your hand?" routine where you load two (or three) balls and, of course, there's a different number each time. I don't actually know if it made a difference, but I always felt more comfortable knowing that they expected at least two balls in the hand - they're less likely to open it prematurely and it's harder to judge what "pressure" they should be feeling.
Having said that, I actually prefer to have them change colour whenever I do it nowadays - it seems to make more sense in the routine, and I don't get so stressed!
Chris
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1763 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
For a bag of 50 or so beleave it or not I see then on ebay a lot for cheap.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
As for the kids lunging for the ball, I saw the Dick Stoner routine (terrific!) and he takes into account where the hand is opened. I don't want to tip his method, but if you use your imagination, you can weave into the routine a receptical over which the hand is opened.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yep. I get mine by the bag of 50. If you need a special deal, let me know?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2006-06-18 11:07, Jameson wrote:
I did a quick bit of searching and didn't turn up anything. Still I appologize if this is a repeat post.

I've been working on a sponge ball routine that climaxes with a lot of sponge balls appearing in the spectator's hand (at least a dozen).

I've seen Eugene Burger do this successfully with 24 1" balls (that's where I got the idea). Right now I can steal the balls from my pocket quite comfortably, but I'm worried about the spectator being able to close their hand around that many balls so that they're hidden.

I was wondering if anyone has done this in performance and has any advice. In particular, do you leave out some of the balls when the person has small hands? Did you start small (10 or 12) and then work your way up to a large number? Do you do something special with the balls that makes it easier to compress them in the hand?

Thanks in advance
James

Gee, what kind of sponges are we talking about here? He can put 24 sponges in someones hand without them noticing? They can actually fit all those in their hands? What size are they? Is there something special here, or is it as it seems? I have never heard of this before.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Yes- Eugene Burger does a routine where it ends with 24 sponge balls in the spectator's hand. He does not use the super soft sponges since they can lose theor shape quickly.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I believe Eugene uses 1" sponge balls.

If you've seen your buddy with 4 in their hand and now you get 24 1-inch ones in your hands, you could very well think you just have 4 of the larger ones.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
On 2006-07-24 21:16, Cory Gallupe wrote:

Quote:
Gee, what kind of sponges are we talking about here? He can put 24 sponges in someones hand without them noticing? They can actually fit all those in their hands? What size are they? Is there something special here, or is it as it seems? I have never heard of this before.

I just posted this in the Secret Sessions. It may help to explain a lot.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......37&0
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Ok, I see. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Lots of sponge balls (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL