The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New to Gospel Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
Hello, I am new to Gospel Magic, actually magic period. I am looking for some easy to learn powerful GM to get me going, especially interested in the gospel version of professor's nightmare. Thanks and God bless! Dennis
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hello and welcome to the Café!

I imagine you're already familiar, to some degree, with the "good news" section.
Dig through there abd you will find a lot of helpful info and ideas for messages/effects.
Check dock haleys (www.gospelmagic.com) website for some resources also.

Greater Gospel Magic by Duane Laflin is a great book if you can find it.

Best of luck in your search and be sure to post in the good news section too, if you have'nt already.

God bless.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Hi Dennis,

First and foremost, welcome to the Café! To answer your question, there is a nice set by Duane Laflin called the Art of Gospel Magic. You can read more about it here if you like: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/art-of-gos......001.html
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Hi, Dennis, and welcome to the Café!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
Welcome to the Café Dennis.
dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
Thanks for the input fellas, From what I hear Duane is the man for Gospel Magic, I will definitely have to get his material to incorporate into my seminars. I've got a long time friend who is a magician who has been teaching me a few things but he is not a christian or into christian magic and rather than reinvent the wheel in the beginning... I am a professional speaker who after 40 years in the wilderness devoted my life back to the lord. I just started doing magic in January and do 2-3 tricks in a hour presentation which has been a total hit. I am pretty good at audience interaction, experiential education exercises and storytelling, combined with multimedia, adding a taste of magic has taken it to another level.

Coal to diamond, dream bag, catipillar to butterfly, and various change bag routines have been my favorites although I am learning torn and restored I se as a perfect church routing.

What are some of your favorites?
sehrgut
View Profile
Regular user
Augusta, GA
105 Posts

Profile of sehrgut
Welcome, Dennis! You've come to the right place if you're interested in seriously studying magic . . . folks are quite friendly, I've found.

My favourite trick to do close-up with a Gospel theme is black silk to white ("cleansed" with a red silk). I find I can keep kid's rapt attention while simply using it as an object lesson, and not drawing any attention to the magic of it. I just explain how our sin is cleansed by the Blood, and let the kids take in the amazement of the colour change -- and with it the amazement of Salvation.

I'll PM you two different Gospel presentations of Professor's Nightmare that I use.

Cheers!
Keith

ps. Regarding "reinventing the wheel in the beginning", it's really the only way to become a skilled magician. Your effects will be much better, and your audience will get much more from them, if you do indeed start at the beginning and develop a skill set. It's like playing an instrument . . . you wouldn't want a church pianist who started out by trying to plunk through hymns: you'd want one who first learned his scales and "Twinkle Twinkle", and built up the skills to play for church.
"It is February, and time to take ink and weep.
One must always write of February while weeping."
-Boris Pasternak

"That night something of youth and beauty died in the elder world." -H.P. Lovecraft
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Dennis,

Have you heard of the Holy Bible Coloring Book (click here)? That is another one you can check out.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Dennis,

I must say, I believe you have a lot more going for you than most starting out in magic. Your background and the skills you already possess will enhance your magic presentations and serve you well I am sure.

I also do the Coal To Diamonds effect, by Barry Mitchel right? It is one of my favorites and I use it to illustrate how much God values us and how we are like diamonds in the rough, etc. It is a very nice routine and I love the props.

I personally do not do very many "packaged" gospel effects but I have nothing against them and I am grateful they are available and for those that create them.

I do own a gospel coloring book (with the "normal" one to switch out) and Duane Laflins "Guilt Is Gone" effect which I really like and have recently incorporated into what I am presently doing.

I also do a silk routine using red, black and white silks that I use to share the gospel message with. I do not know if what I do is something already offered in a book or whatever. I did not pull it out of a resource but chances are someone already does this or something very similar. Anyways I will try and explain it:

I quote some of the first verses in the first chapter of John and then make the white silk appear (symbolizing Jesus). I reveal the red silk (just pulling it out of a pocket o rsomething) and explain how Jesus came to earth with a purpose that involved His own sacrificial death and shedding of His blood and finally the reason why His sacrifice was necessary, displaying the black silk representing sin. I put the white one over my left fist explaining how He laid His life down, no one took it from Him. As I am placing the black one into the white silk, I place the tip into my fist over the white silk in order to vanish the black one. I tell them how Jesus took on Himself the sins of the entire world (this is all symmbolized fairly well by first laying down the white one, which then takes the black one on top of it). After getting the black one into the tip and stolen away, I then explain how it is His blood that covers our sins. Once we confess our sins and ask Him into our hearts then His blood covers our sins and was shed for all the sins of everyone who will believe. They think the red one is covering the black one still inside the white one which is still laying over my fist. I hope this makes sense. But once I am at this part, I explain how God not only forgives our sins and cleanses us completely but He also forgets our sins and does not even remember them! Pull off the red followed by the white silk, showing there is no more black silk but keep your left fist closed a moment longer in order to slowly open it and reveal no black silk there either.
Sorry to go on and on and if this is something in print, I would like to know the source and give credit. But the way I do it and tried to share here is something I came up with before I went to China last year.

I wish I had some of the background, Dennis, that you already have when I first got into doing magic as an adult (but still a big kid, you know).

Do you ever do any close-up stuff?

If so I have a couple of effects that I really enjoy , that have a strong message, that I would be happy to share with you.

See you on these boards, etc etc.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
Thanks for the input, Glen I haven't done any close up yet as I have only been doing magic this year, I am open to it... suggestions, just stage so far and yes Jeff I do have the Holy Bible Coloring book and it's matching companion, it goes over really well. Sehrgut I get your point, what I meant was starting from scratch I didn't want to exert all the time and energy into thinking up patter when there is a wealth of ideas floating around magic space that can be cut and pasted to make it yours. By all means you want to use your creativity to make it unique as to not be a robot.

In fact my first gig was back in January for Martin Luther King's Day where I used the mis made flag, changed the small silks to match the song red and yellow black and white they are all precious in his sight and said someting to the efect that even when Martin looked at the American Flag even back then he knew something wasn't right (showed the mismade flag), talked about when I was a kid we used to sing this song in church (had graphics and words on the screen with children holding hands around the world) had the school recite the words red yellow... while I raised the silk colors and put them in a change bag, quoted MLK talking about walking together, praying together etc., and then out pops the American flag. It went over really well and they loved it! I'm going to do simular with the mismade christian flag.

I haven't seen anybody use powerpoint in conjunction with magic, but what do I know, I've only been to two magic shows my entire life, one back in 96 and one in March, however I intend to attend any that I can and become a student of the game so I can master the craft.

Cheers...

May the magic be with you!
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
What got you to pursue Gospel Magic?

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
Well for several years I have used the magic coloring book. I have a friend that has been into magic for years showed me some gricks and I started implimenting them this year. Last October I rededicated my life to God and started speaking at churches and church conferenes. How about you FCM?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New to Gospel Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL