The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Anyone think this is a scam? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
I have been receiving a few emails like this lately. I can't help feeling it is a scam as when I reply I am given the runaround. Or if I say I am busy the date suddenly changes. Any ideas?
Quote:

"Goodday Sir,
How are you doing?
This is Owen Smith, a citizen of america from Essex in united kingdom, here I work as a priest and I am organising a birthday party for my wife sharron by name which is 39 years old and will be clocking 40th on 29th of july 2006.

And the party will takes place right here in my house and I got to find your advertistment on the website and so interesting.

I will like to know if you are still available for the date.More also I wll like to know if truely your location is not too far from my residence so as to make my funds be cheaper.

Also I want to have your price for the service of Six hours on the date 29th of july 2006

The party will start by 12;pm in the noon and ends up by 6;pm in the evening.So let me know the cost of the service ?

Concerning your coming here you will need to have calculate it with your services

Also ill want you to send to me your quote and contract if needed for me to be sure you are legit and you really want to work for me.are you registered?licensed?

So let me know the cost for your service and also advise me back so that I can arrange in sending you a certified check as soon as we clearify with exact cost.

I await your email today.
Regards
Owen."

Best Wishes from a puzzled David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
Trickster
View Profile
New user
Southern California
51 Posts

Profile of Trickster
I'm going to go with scam... Here is one that came through to me about two weeks back...

Quote:

Goodday Good morning to you,
I am jude micheal, I am planning a birthday gig for my wife,
sharron by name,she will be celibrating her 40th birthday party on
31th of july 2006.Kindly let me know if you are not book yet for this
date.

And also the venue address of the party will be here in 117 E Las
Vegas St Colorado Springs, CO 80903 and I hope you come arround to the
venue on that day to help us entertain our guest with what you know
how to do best which is entertaining my guest and making and making
them happy cos I know you have what will fit my wife party .

Also I want to have your charges & price list for the service of
four hours on that date .

The party will start by 1;pm in the afternoon and ends up by 5;pm
in the evening.So let me know the cost of your service ?

Concerning your comming here kindly calculate your travel fee + your
services all sum alltogether.

Also ill want you to send to me your quote and contract this needed
for me to sign and mail back to you.are you registered?licensed?your
years of experience?insured?

So let me know the cost for the entertainment service and also
advise me back with a bit introduction of your self,and later I can
arrange in sending you a deposit payment as soon as we clearify with
the exact cost plannings.I will be expecting close to 200 guest.

I await your email today.

Regards
Rev Jude micheal
--
"I may not be a smart man, I'm just good at what I do"...

Deuces Wild Entertainment
www.TheTrickster.net

Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
I have received the exact same enquiry. I have spoken to a couple of people about these type of enquiries before and they reckon that it is an overpayment scam, they send too much money on a money order/cheque and request the difference back, then the cheque/money order isn't honoured.
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Kelly
99% a scam, if nothing else but for the poor English. Also they don't say where they saw an advertisement or anything.
"But where did the lighter fluid come from?"
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1781 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
The deposit will be overpaid & they will request a refund of the overpayment only for you to find out that the deposit check bounced. Run away & run fast!!
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
Ahhh! O.K. Thanks guys.

Best Wishes
David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20429 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yeah, cashier's checks and money orders are the newest form of fraudulant documents.

Try to deposit one and it is no longer just like cash. They are simply checks now and take a long time to clear.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1297 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Report these emails to the FBI. And if you do get a check from them, send it to the FBI.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
SCAM! Several magicians are receiving these. Some are easy to tell because of poorly written sentences but they are all scams.

David, what is that fire effect in your avatar if you don't mind me asking?
wonder pefomance
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of wonder pefomance
Sometimes these emails are scams but largely a customer will overpay you anyway and you have to refund the additional monies to them. This is standard practice. I have had a lot of work from emails that people would have dismissed as scams.
Treat every email you get as though it is a scam.
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
This sort of email is usually sent from a country like Nigeria and is a scam to get personal details from you and then overpay you with a cheque that is counterfeit. The cheque will clear but eventually the payee will figure the money has come from their account and claim it back from you. By this time the refund will be sent and you'll be out-of-pocket. I know this as I used to work for a bank many years ago. The tell-tale signs are the overly friendly English that sadly few people use these days.

That said, if you are legit, Priest Owen Smith, please do not cast me into the bowels of Hell.
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
Many thanks for the replies. It is, as I thought, best ignored.

Candini, the fire effect is flash paper to sponge ball, sorry it's not more interesting Smile

Best Wishes, David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1673 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Most regular clergy are very well-educated and couldn't write English as badly as that. It's gotta be a scam.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
DoctaJones713
View Profile
New user
Massachusettes
64 Posts

Profile of DoctaJones713
A friend of mine was trying to rent out a room in his apartment about a month ago. They put an ad on craigslist and got a few e-mails back. One was from a "european model" who needed a place to stay but couldn't pay. She asked them the price and said that she'd have her mom send a check for some amount that was larger and just asked them to send back the difference to her, which she'd use to buy the plane ticket.

Scam, scam, scam . . . that's just mean. We all thought that my friend was getting a model for a roomie Smile
. . . but the third man answered, "I am building a cathedral."
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
436 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
Ive already gotten 3 e-mails from 3 different people asking the same thing as the above. From what I am hearing there is not much we can do.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17082 Posts

Profile of joseph
Can anyone do six hours of magic in one day anyway??... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
I work out a lot Smile)

Best Wishes, David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2006-06-21 20:06, joseph wrote:
Can anyone do six hours of magic in one day anyway??... Smile ..

Sure. Ask anyone who does trade shows.

And usually, we have to do it for three or four days in a row, too.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I get bad vibes off of that one.

The poor grammar, the repeat e-mails, etc. etc. People are smarter than me at this stuff...but I say bogus.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1059 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Wow... I got the same M.O. from a "Priest Frank" in the U.K. who claimed he was planning a birthday party for his son at his home in Los Angeles. He wanted my address so he could send me a cashier's check in advance. Before I gave it to him I insisted on getting his full contact information. He never supplied it, so I smelled a rat and I ignored him.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Anyone think this is a scam? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL