The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Anyone think this is a scam? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Please note, I have started a "fresh" Post on this subject of scammming entertainers, under the category of Tricky Business. To view this posting, please click on the following link:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

Best regards.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I recently got a phishing email that actually said that the sender was Ebay. The letter looked authentic enough that I clicked on the item number to see if it was still listed. Luckily, my Netscape browser stopped the download and said it looked like a phishing site. That's when I took a closer look at the mail.

The giveaways were many, if you knew what to look for. First, it said that the item the person had purchased was a car. The item listed as having been sold was a copy of Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End, an excellent science fiction novel. Going over the links showed a different website in the bottom left corner of Netscape.

Also, when I went to My Ebay, there was no duplicate message in my inbox.

The other big clue was that many of the official links for ebay security sites at the bottom of the page were listed and in blue, just like a real hyperlink, but they really didn't go anywhere or change my cursor to a hand to indicate a link.

What scared me is that it looked official and actually had me checking something on it (the aforementioned item number). Can't help but wonder how many others have been fooled by it and NOT had a good (or up-to-date) web browser to warn them.

Needless to say, I sent this off to spoof@ebay.com so they could chase these bad guys
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
One of the first things I noticed was the odd spelling of the name "Sharron". I have seen this in several examples of this scam letter here on The Magic Café, as well as several "Spanish Prisoner" type 419 scam letters I have received from Nigeria, and more recently Eastern Europe.
I wonder how organized and inter-linked these gangs are, or if, somewhere in Nigeria, there's a publisher selling a "How to Scam" book, complete with example letters for the enterprising bunko artist to cut and paste as needed?
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2131 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Café member "Lyndel" was kind enough to post the following link, which shares some of his experience with this type of situation, and shows an example of correspondence between scammer and entertainer:

http://magic.about.com/od/themagicbusiness/a/lyndel1.htm

Thanks Lyndel!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
These people will just keep on coming out with so-call new ideas to scam others.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3163 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Just read(I beliebe in magic mag) the same scam. Person trying to "hire" magician for big event, overpaid etc. A good story but all of these are always a scam regardless of the industry the person receiving these letters and emails are in. They all revolve around the same theme.
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Anyone think this is a scam? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.49 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL