The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mouth Coils (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Why is this making you rethink about your show? If you are getting good reactions from it.. Keep using it!! Its not because 3 guys say "its gross and immoral" on an internet chat that you should stop what you think works for you.

the people in this thread who spoke of mouth coils being the work of the devil, are a little older (no offence gentlemen) It dosent work for them. Bud, if it works for you, that's all that matters...

Although I can see your point of wanting to ban it after someone people talk like NO MAGICIAN ON EARTH should pull anything out of their mouth... jeeez
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
It does seem that no, never are big words to throw about, and mouth magic certainly has a long tradition. It depends on what you consider magic to be I suppose -- I can't see Robert-Houdin pulling one out, for example. But if you consider our roots and our historical associations with fakirs, sword swalloers and fire eaters, I cant see how you can say it has no place in any magic show.
And by the way, it is always inportant to give kids a sincere "don't try this at home" warning, and it should cover you in the event of a lawsuit. Though even defending against a frivolous lawsuit can be an expensive hassle.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use all the aformentions items in my show and wouldn't be without them.
Here are my thoughts:

From my experience (based on actual feedback), people are more likely offended by playing cards than mouth coils or toilet paper.

A magician with dirty, long, or even bitten fingernails will be FAR more offensive to the masses than a mouth coil. How about a live animal? A live rabbit doesn't seem very sanitary to me. How about an overweight magician?

If you don't have a great reason to use a mouth coil then don't. If you have a great reason to use one then do.

I would also suggest not pretending to gag as it could actually make people in the audience gag. Keep it light and funny and get on with the show.

People that are offended by something like this have issues. I'm not about to change my show to pander to the the disfunctional and neurotic.

Not everyone is going to like your show. If you try to please everyone by changing your act to be 100% crowdpleasing, you'll end up with a boring show that pleases no one.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Quote:
On 2007-01-16 13:05, Frank Starsini wrote:
People that are offended by something like this have issues. I'm not about to change my show to pander to the the disfunctional and neurotic.

Not everyone is going to like your show. If you try to please everyone by changing your act to be 100% crowdpleasing, you'll end up with a boring show that pleases no one.

right on the button Frank
magiccop1
View Profile
New user
Right Here
35 Posts

Profile of magiccop1
Ask Denny Haney
"The Enforcer"
"I'm not a Wizard. Are you Happy ? You should be."
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2007-11-26 20:59, magiccop1 wrote:
Ask Denny Haney

I second that.
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I use a mouth coil at the beginning of EVERY show. I have great patter and I never observed any angst or disgust with its use. It is a great opener for me, and has become a good-luck "charm". I'd have to say honestly that I have gone through 10,000 Cressy coils and never gagged a bit. (Sometimes they stick a bit)
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.christophermanos.com
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
I would'nt mind giving them a try.
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I have found that pulling a mouth coil out of a glass of slush powder when doing a drug routine is great. I have also found that pulling a coil from your mouth and giving it to the child has the parents gasping.

There are pros and cons to this issue. Experience is the best teacher.

Glenn
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I use a mouth coil in almost every show. My assistant is holding a large basket - this is used to ditch the production silks, etc. During the routine she is "chewing gum" - I catch her and make her spit it out. She refuses - pulls out about 3", and then I grab it and ........... These are bubble gum coils, the audience loves it. Don't have the problems with gaging, taste, etc as I'm not the one with the load!

Jim
football2136
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of football2136
I use mouth coils a lot and they have never caused me to gag.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2007-01-03 11:08, Eric Leclerc wrote:
“If it generally belongs in a bathroom,
or it comes directly out of your mouth,
then undern no circumstances does it belong,
on any stage, or in any show.”

did you just quote yourself?? What you said there was a very big statement to make.. ANY stage show OR ANY show?? come on.... that's pushing it

Does that include a play based on a bathroom sales person?

I’m sure I saw a fantastic vanish using a toilet - the guy disappeared straight down it .... I thought it was a) a great illusion and 2 rather funny..... Especially as he was plungering it then disappeared straight down the bowl......

I have SILK towels …. I hope no magician out there is using a silk any where on a stage! ALSO my linen basket is in my bathroom …. Can I never use any of my costumes again? Or the talk for my clown make up???? Or make up …… I’m sure there are other things in my bathroom that can be seen on stage.

I still agree with Bret …….. people love to watch block head etc YES IT IS GROSS…… but they are always amazed by it …..

And what is wrong with paper balls over the head????? It has its place … and can / should be used.

Darn it you will be telling me no brain flossing next?
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Were would we put needles, and razor blades and alike, in the trash???
and What would Houdini say to his needle effect? and much like him,Jugglers spitting ping pong balls out of their mouth,would a circus be different than us??? and sword swallowing??? So on and so on...Ok gents as we say in Americana---(to each his own) and if it works? heck... do it. God Bless.
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
The fun thing about living in a free country, is being able to decide for yourself if you like something or not...

You like mouth coils? Great!

You do not like seeing people pull things out of their mouth? Don't watch! If you are not watching my act, I am not feeling too bad about it. Plenty of other people are watching and enjoying!

Nuf said...

Louis Jutras
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
It is interesting to see how this thread lives on, 5 years after it was started back in 2002!

I also have used mouth coils for decades, and have never received any negative feedback as a result. To each, his own. If it is not right for you, don't do it. If tricks involving productions from the mouth offend you, don't do them. However, to cast all routines involving mouth productions as poor performance decisions, then there are many, top named manipulators who have made this poor decision for years. How many billard ball performers have vanished a ball by 'swallowing' it, only to reproduce several from their mouth? Dare I say most of them?

I respect the opinions of those who do not feel that it is tasteful or in character for them to do, but to belittle others for doing it seems a bit heavy handed.

My 2¢

Chris
DLF
View Profile
Regular user
LA via NYC
145 Posts

Profile of DLF
Well, hold on to your hats here if you don't like stuff coming in or out of the another's mouth, though I think most of you will agree, this is a clever, creative and fascinating routine;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EbFkZ-TNikg
Ok, I'll meet you at the place near the thing where we went that time.
DLF
View Profile
Regular user
LA via NYC
145 Posts

Profile of DLF
Guys, I'm getting really close to telling you about a group of magicians that call themselves the Aristocrats!!!
Ok, I'll meet you at the place near the thing where we went that time.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Nice DLF. Sitta has excellent silks located in Italy. Highly reccomend it.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Quote:
On 2008-02-14 17:30, DLF wrote:
Guys, I'm getting really close to telling you about a group of magicians that call themselves the Aristocrats!!!

Booking Agent: The Aristocrats? sounds interesting, what's the act? Smile

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Kids find anything disgusting as funny.
I'm going to try out mouth coils. What is the best position in the mouth? On some instructions, that came with the coils I bought, it says under the tongue. I thought it would be above the tongue.
Thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Mouth Coils (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL