We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » What do you look for in a case? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of threecardmonte
I am buildng myself a suitcase table. One that will be vastly different than any other model. But since I am customizing it, I'd like to know what are some things you look for in choosing a case? In other words, if you could build the perfect case, what would it have?
Matt Ferro
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
128 Posts

Profile of Matt Ferro
I made a suitcase table that was fairly similar to the Lefler case. The big mistake that I made was I used wood that was way too thick. I wanted it to last and be durable but honestly, having to carry it up and down stairs with the added weight of all the props inside, it’s really not worth it. I believe I used 3/8" wood; I am not sure the kind of wood I used but that will also contribute to the overall weight.

Build the case around the size of your props. Don’t make the case any larger than it has to be

Something that would be in my dream case would be to have speakers mounted inside of the case and have holes on the front where they can emit sound.
I would also love to have a pouch that can hold some of your props close to the top of the table so you are not digging in there during the show. Something along the lines of this:
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=14

In my opinion the perfect table is Light, Durable, and work as a performing surface as well as carrier.

Good luck!
Matt Ferro
Don't practice till you can do it right, Practice till you can't do it wrong...
AndrewBarbour
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of AndrewBarbour
Excellent suggestions Matt. A few other ones off the top of my head....
- ditch bag / servante is critical
- use plastic tubs / containers for drawers
- don't paint the inside black!
- a cover for transporting to protect as well as pockets for the hard to pack items such as shoes, table base, etc.
- light and durable - aluminum or fibreglass could be good

just some ideas to consider...

regards
Andrew
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Something I did for a couple of decades and quit but shouldn't have is good permanent owner's tags. What I used were the brass ID plates for good dog collars. Good pet shops have a tool that stamps the letters down into the brass. Mine have my name and address. They are attached to the cases with screws through the holes made to rivet them to the dog collar. They out last the case. The just don't come off. And they are reusuable! They are less than $5/each too.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Bob Sanders...Don't you EVER run out of GREAT suggestions!
You amaze my friend.
Keep those treasures coming our way. You will never know how much time and effort you have saved me over the years.
I appreciate every word you have shared on the Café.
Thanks so very much for all your knowledge and experience.
Magically,
Ken Winters
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
I use this setup. Light, easy to carry, quick to set up(as I arive with the props in pace), easy to use during the show.
It is high enough to use as a table.

http://members.cox.net/pamandchris/Case.jpg
http://members.cox.net/pamandchris/CaseOpen.jpg

Chris
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Each case should be light enough so that I can easily pick it up with my little finger. I use a lot of plastic totes made of polypropylene. They can take a lot of abuse without cracking. I just set a large tote on a tray stand and I have most of what I need to do the show.

For most illusions, I'd use something considerably larger, with padding inside and moving blankets between pieces. I'm in the process of deciding on what illusion to add to my repertoire, so I'll be looking for something I can fit in the back seat of my car.

If I needed a truck to haul everything, I'd go with ATA cases. But, for my purposes, I don't need something like that, because I'm the only one who handles the cases, and I'm careful with them.
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
For my trade shows, I use the brief case like tool boxes sold at Home Depot. They come in several colors (blue, red, silver, and black). The case sets nicely on a keyboard stand. I can carry both in at the same time (one trip from the car). It makes a nice perfroming surface. My close up pads goes right on top.

In my stage show, I also use the same set up. The only difference is that the case stays open. There are clips mounted in the lid to display jumbo cards.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I collect old table bases. I have four P&L bases of various kinds, a couple of kellar bases, and some that I made myself.

I generally use a three table setup. I have a big table at the back for props, which can also double as a table for a volunteer sawing. I have two side tables. Either one of these is sturdy enough to use as a center table.

I don't like roll on tables or niteclub tables in general, because they usually look like something a bartender would work from.

Plant stands, the wooden ones, make excellent side tables, by the way.

I want a case to be just that -- a box to put things into.

For trade shows, I have a really nice folding stand that is covered with formica.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I would definitely make the unit lockable.

A nice size drawer would be a plus.
Most suitcase tables I've seen just have large open areas
and they don't allow you to do much organizing.

A built in servante would be excellent too. That large one further up in the thread is rediculously too large.
Daniel Faith
adzimme
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of adzimme
I built my first suitcase table a few months back. When I do it again, I think good handles to make it easy for a single person lift. Not only sized to my props (as I was hoping to store my props in it all the time) but sized for the vehicle you hope to transport it in. Even though I have an SUV, mine (once I added decent casters) didn't fit upright and laying it down is a pain. Good locking casters (last thing you want is a table rolling away from you. Organization inside. Mine right now is a big box and I'm stumped as how I'm going to organize my stuff in it.

Hope this helps,

Alan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » What do you look for in a case? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL